May 2012 Moms

Suggestions?

It's been really hot here and it's not going to cool off anytime soon. I have DD rear facing in her carseat in the middle seat. There are no AC vents in the backseat. I blast the AC and try to angle the vents to get her air but every time I go to get her out she's hot and sweaty. If I FF her then she would be fine but I'm trying to avoid that. Any suggestions on how to keep her cool?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Our little BOY is due 9/13/2014

Re: Suggestions?

• Leave the windows cracked open when you're at the store or wherever so that when you come back the car starts at a cooler temperature than if you were to just get in and turn on the AC after the car has been baking in the sun.  Or if you're at home, go down and open all the windows 5 minutes before you leave to get the car cooled down?
  • I crack the back windows it pulls the ac back there and pushes out the hot air.

Plus sweaty baby is still safer than forward facing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • zoeyyzoeyy
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its

image bellelamb:
    I crack the back windows it pulls the ac back there and pushes out the hot air. Plus sweaty baby is still safer than forward facing!

I had no idea. I figured if I cracked the windows it would just make it hotter back there. You learn something new! I was thinking of getting one of those car shade things but it is always a hot mess trying to fold those things up.  

I'm not actually going to FF her because of this. I just feel bad for how uncomfortable she seems.  

• I use a fan to keep lo cool. He loves it! It has foam blades, so even if it fell I wouldn't hurt him.
  • You can put ice packs in the carseat before you leave to cool the car seat down (and remove them when you hit the road, obviously). You can use Frogg Tog blankets to do the same thing, plus LO can hold them in the car (these are awesome and work really well for just about every outdoor activity, we LOVE ours - bought them from amazon). I also recently saw these approved for use as long as they are secured correctly

http://nogglenation.com/

There's definitely tons of safe ways to keep LO cool without forward facing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image sarahe101:
    I use a fan to keep lo cool. He loves it! It has foam blades, so even if it fell I wouldn't hurt him.

This is still a projectile in the event of a crash; for that reason it is not recommended.

• This is a nice reference for more ideas.

I learned a TON from this FB group

http://csftl.org/keepin-cool/

• zoeyyzoeyy
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    image nlynch11:

This is a nice reference for more ideas.

I learned a TON from this FB group

http://csftl.org/keepin-cool/

Awesome! Great ideas. Thank you!

I need to start doing the towel cover so the buckles don't get so hot.  

• image nlynch11:

image sarahe101:
    I use a fan to keep lo cool. He loves it! It has foam blades, so even if it fell I wouldn't hurt him.

This is still a projectile in the event of a crash; for that reason it is not recommended.

So is your phone and water bottle or anything in your car so unless you put everything in your trunk I doubt a fan is any different
  • image bellelamb:
    image nlynch11:

image sarahe101:

So is your phone and water bottle or anything in your car so unless you put everything in your trunk I doubt a fan is any different

I give him sippy cups and toys in the car. I guess projectiles just aren't something I worry much about.

• image bellelamb:
    image nlynch11:

image sarahe101:

yup, which is why I keep everything in the center console, glove box, or buckled in to the passenger seat. Honesty I never gave it much thought until a few months ago when I saw it brought up elsewhere, but everything in your car IS a projectile and can do serious damage in a crash. I know you can't avoid it all the time but I sure try as hard as I can. 

• image nlynch11:
    image bellelamb:
    image nlynch11:

image sarahe101:

yup, which is why I keep everything in the center console, glove box, or buckled in to the passenger seat. Honesty I never gave it much thought until a few months ago when I saw it brought up elsewhere, but everything in your car IS a projectile and can do serious damage in a crash. I know you can't avoid it all the time but I sure try as hard as I can. 

So what do you do in a mini van where everything you transport is in the car basically? I asked a car seat safety instructor this and she didn't even have any ideas.

• i drive a sedan and I only have one so I know you have a ton more stuff to transport. I have seen people say they put everything in plastic bins and use ratchet straps to hold them down (not bungees which could give way easily) or use cargo nets, though I think the nets are more for wagons and hatchbacks. If you do want to look into it I learned pretty much everything I know from a Facebook group called Car Seats For the Littles (I even learned about the group on the bump). You can even post the question to them and they have car seat safety techs with a ton more ideas than I could ever come up with! 

bellelamb
  • ebl2ebl2
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Love Its

image sarahe101:

DD is obsessed with these! They are her favorite things to play with in the car. You can get them at Walmart for under $2 and they come with batteries. You can't even buy batteries alone for under $2.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards