Breastfeeding

Clogged Duct, now white spot

About two weeks ago I had an awful clogged duct!!  I used the back side of my electric toothbrush to break it apart (which worked wonders)!  Now, I have a large pimple sized white area on my nipple (it looks like milk is trapped there), it is becoming increasingly painful, especially when nursing.  What should I do?

Re: Clogged Duct, now white spot

• I know the pain!! It's called a milk blister. Normally Christopher would pop when he would nurse but if he didn't then i would soak a towel in hot water and place it over the nipple with the blister. That should get the thin skin soft enough so you can pop it like a pimple (I know that sounds gross and it's very painful!!!). Or you can sterilize a needle and pop it that way. The pain of a milk blister is like no other... Good luck!
    Mommy's Little Muscle Man!

• evertzevertz
    250 Answers 500 Comments 25 Love Its First Anniversary
    Yep, definitely a milk blister. They're so painful!! I found mine to go away on their own after a couple days but they're definitely not fun...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image MRSVELA07:
    I know the pain!! It's called a milk blister. Normally Christopher would pop when he would nurse but if he didn't then i would soak a towel in hot water and place it over the nipple with the blister. That should get the thin skin soft enough so you can pop it like a pimple (I know that sounds gross and it's very painful!!!). Or you can sterilize a needle and pop it that way. The pain of a milk blister is like no other... Good luck!

This is what I do, too. A few days ago I thought I had a clogged duct.  Then I examined my nipple very closely and I had a tiny white dot.  I sterilized a needle and stuck it in the dot and INSTANTANEOUSLY I had tons of milk pour out and relief!  No problems since!