Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Generic for Similac?

Does anyone know what the generic formula is for Similac Advanced?  I am doing a little number crunching and wanted to see how much I would save and whether it is worth switching.  TIA!

***PAL April Siggy Challenge - Words to live by***

BFP #1 2/1/12, mmc 3/1/12 @ 8 weeks, D&C 3/2/12 
LAP/Hysteroscopy 4/26/12 removed uterine septum and stage 1 endo BFP #2 7/23/12, induced at 37w1d for IUGR on 3/17/13, St. Patrick's Day!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company" - Oscar Wilde 

Re: Generic for Similac?

• JmeJmeJmeJme
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    The target brand is right about half the price. That's what we use.

BabyFruit Ticker

• image JmeJme:

this! And I found the Similac to foam up when I mixed it and the up and up doesn't at all.  

photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image randimarie86:

image JmeJme:

this! And I found the Similac to foam up when I mixed it and the up and up doesn't at all.  

I agree about the foaming!  Thanks for the info! 

***PAL April Siggy Challenge - Words to live by***

BFP #1 2/1/12, mmc 3/1/12 @ 8 weeks, D&C 3/2/12 
    LAP/Hysteroscopy 4/26/12 removed uterine septum and stage 1 endo BFP #2 7/23/12, induced at 37w1d for IUGR on 3/17/13, St. Patrick's Day!

"A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company" - Oscar Wilde 

• I use the grocery store brand for my DS.  I have Kroger in my area and he does better on that than Similac.
    ~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker
  • We use Target brand as well. I buy the 6 pack of 40oz tubs with my Target card which gives me 5% off and free shipping. It saves over a $100 compared to buying that same amount of Similac. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersimage
  • One consideration, depending on how much you buy into it, is that the generics (and Enfamil) use palm olein which may or may not have an adverse effect on bone mineral density.  If you google "palm olein in formula" you will find a lot of articles referring back to a 2003 study showing it has a significant effect on bone density measured at 3 and 6 months.  I did find a second study, however, done in 2005 showing that there was not a significant effect at 4 years of age, so take it for what it's worth.

• Both I my girls used/use Up&Up. They do great on it and you can't beat the price.