Parenting

Weird fears?

Obviously I know it's completely irrational and I don't ACTUALLY fear it, but every time I reach into my mailbox I think about someone having put a poisonous snake in there, so I always look before reaching in.

Anyone have anything bizarre they check for similar reasons?

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Charlotte Rocks!

Re: Weird fears?

• Whenever the UPS delivery person leaves a package and rings the bell, I'm always nervous that it's a faker who brought a package to lure me outside and murder me.

I make sure to listen for the truck backing out of the drive before I open the door.

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• I run away from the back door after I close the curtain for the night- in case someone is planning on shooting me as I walk back to the hallway.

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I don't worry about snakes but I always feel like a spider is in the mailbox waiting to pounce.
  • Oooh every time I stay in a hotel I check under the bed for thieves before I go to bed...usually the bed is on a platform and it's a big relief.

I know someone who knew someone who was robbed by a thief who hid under the bed in a hotel and the thought terrifies me.

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• image bearsbearsbears:
    Whenever the UPS delivery person leaves a package and rings the bell, I'm always nervous that it's a faker who brought a package to lure me outside and murder me.I make sure to listen for the truck backing out of the drive before I open the door.

Since having DS, I always seem to have weird fears like this from time to time randomly. I chalk some of it up to all the crazy shiit that's been in the news lately. So sad and depressing. I've pretty much stopped watching the news because of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MaebbMaebb
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    DH woke up with a cockroach crawling on him a few nights ago, so I'm paranoid about that now. I don't like cockroaches, especially if I'm naked or otherwise vulnerable. We are living with my aunt while our house gets finished, and it's a great house and incredibly nice of her, but we're in the basement, so there are some bugs.

ETA: I guess that's not a "weird" fear because most people don't like cockroaches.

For weird fears, I lived in Thailand for 2 years, and I once heard about how a guy who got bit on the scrotum or something when he sat down on the toilet because there was a snake inside. So I always opened the toilet lids and inspected inside the toilet to make sure there were no snakes.
  • We get cave crickets in our basement. Any time I have to go into the unfinished part, I reach my arm in the door to turn on the light before stepping in there.

• I totally check my back seats when getting into my car at night. Even weirder I continue to check while driving in case I missed some crazy murderer hiding in there like that urban legend. It seriously scares the crap out of me!
    image imageimage

• I sometimes fear that some sort of snake/spider/bug/whatever will jump out and bite me when I sit on the toilet. So, I always look and flush first.

Also, I'm afraid of things that fly. Me + butterfly house =/= fun. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
  • image beaubecca:
    I totally check my back seats when getting into my car at night. Even weirder I continue to check while driving in case I missed some crazy murderer hiding in there like that urban legend. It seriously scares the crap out of me!

I do the same thing. My keyless entry turns on all my lights when I unlock my car, so I click it a hundred times and check the floorboards before I even open the door.
    imageimage
    Bonus Mom to the Bean: June '06
  • image shanado:
    I don't worry about snakes but I always feel like a spider is in the mailbox waiting to pounce.

Makea sense to me. I take a peek for webs in our mail box before I reach in there.

When I was about 8, we were on a road trip and I got locked in a self cleaning bathroom (water sprayes up from below the floor grate to clean the stall) for a couple rounds of self cleaning. As a result, when I am having trouble with unlocking a bathroom stall door, will remind myself that it is ok and to try again.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image bearsbearsbears:

Whenever the UPS delivery person leaves a package and rings the bell, I'm always nervous that it's a faker who brought a package to lure me outside and murder me.

I make sure to listen for the truck backing out of the drive before I open the door.

I try not to open the door when I'm home alone with dd. I also always check the back door after someone comes to the front door because there was a string of home invasions where one person distracted the person at the front door while another came in the back.

• kj07kj07
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 250 Answers 100 Love Its
    I have a really hard time flushing the toilet at night; if the monsters/murderers hear the toilet, they'll know I'm vulnerable and out of bed and will come get me.  Luckily my DH is okay with letting the yellow mellow.  And I do force myself to flush if it's more than yellow but it causes me pretty serious anxiety until I'm safely back under the covers.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • image kj07:
    I have a really hard time flushing the toilet at night; if the monsters/murderers hear the toilet, they'll know I'm vulnerable and out of bed and will come get me.  Luckily my DH is okay with letting the yellow mellow.  And I do force myself to flush if it's more than yellow but it causes me pretty serious anxiety until I'm safely back under the covers.

This made me giggle because I dont flush at night either... you know... because it's loud.

Im sickly afraid of grasshoppers. I had a huge cricket get up in my very long hair when I was a kid and every since, I have been absolutely terrified. I dont take walks early summer because all I do is scan the sidewalk for them.

ETA I thought you were supposed to glance in your backseat at you get in. If someone told me this outside of this post I wouldnt think it was weird at all 

• Like PP said, checking the back seat (even though I am religious about locking my car doors), and having curtains closed after dark. Mostly because I am flucking terrified of looking at the dark window and seeing a face watching me. *SHUDDER*

Also ever since Arachnophobia, I shake the hell out of my slippers before putting them on in case there's a spider in there. 

✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
  • Growing up, we always checked the mailbox for snakes because sometimes there was one. But this was out in the boonies, snakes are kind of everywhere.

My fear is being robbed/attacked or even just approached while I load the kid in the car. I hate driving DH's pickup, but I was able to lock us in while I knelt in the front seat buckling her in the back. I can't do that in my ride, and it makes me crazy.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • After seeing the Shining, I have to have either glass doors on tubs or for the shower curtain to be open whenever no one is in the tub.

Also, I am afraid of the dark and have to have some small type of light source on at all times.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• I have a hard time walking through a dark house at night. I always feel sure I'm going to be grabbed by someone lurking in the shadows, or come face to face with a ghost. I guess I'm somewhat afraid of the dark.

I also swing my arms up and down when I walk out to my car in the morning, be ause I hate the feeling of walking into spider webs. 

Also, every time I go to my car after work my heart stops for a second until I see that dd is not in her cars eat. It isn't really an irrational fear, but I get that feeling even when I KNOW I dropped her at daycare, even when I can remember a conversation I had with her teacher that morning. When dh takes her, I text him asking how drop off went, but really I'm just checking that he remembered to drop her at all. Kids locked in cars.....it terrifies me. 

• Everything in this thread is giving me major anxiety, especially as I sit up all alone with a 3 month old in a dark house. I was planning to go restart the dehumidifier in the basement before going back to bed, but I don't think I can go down there now.

I used to be scared of a dark house... Who knows what's hiding in the shadows to get you?! Doing MOTN feedings for so long had kind of cured me. Thanks for the major regression ;)

• gwinnygwinny
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its

I have a fear of driving up really steep hills. I'm afraid the car will fail and start to slide backwards, go sideways, or - god forbid - totally flip on it's roof. It's weird & irrational. I will avoid driving up hills whenever possible. 

It's also the only reoccurring nightmare I have ever had; I have it probably once a month. 

Heavy Breathing (GIF)

O 10/25/10, N 12/9/13
  • image fredalina:
    Obviously I know it's completely irrational and I don't ACTUALLY fear it, but every time I reach into my mailbox I think about someone having put a poisonous snake in there, so I always look before reaching in.
    Snake in toilet here. I always worry that one is going to come up throuh the pipe and bite my asss.
    Oh and I have always felt like something was going to grab my legs going up bssement stairs with open backs.
    Anyone have anything bizarre they check for similar reasons?

Logan 4.97~ Teagan 2.02 ~ Eirian 3.06 ~ Keira 2.08 ~ Seren 10.10
  • Closet doors must be shut before going to bed. If they are left open a crack the bogeyman might come out to get me while I'm sleeping.

We also close curtains and shades at dusk

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• I'm afraid a spider will fall on my head while I have my eyes closed in the shower to shampoo my head. So I usually rush that part a bit. Once in a while DH will grope me in the shower while I'm shampooing and I freak the hell out.

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • I was always afraid their was a snake in my toilet as a kid. I would check like five times before I would sit down.

When DDs were really little babies, I was always afraid they would stop breathing at night. I would sit and stare at the monitor to check for the rise and fall of their little chests. Although, I think that is probably a pretty common fear.

ETA: I am also irrationally afraid of any men, 18-60 yrs old, standing around outside DDs' DC. Extra scared points if they are carrying a backpack.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The crawl space under my pier-and-beam home creeps me out. I don't want to know what's there, and I don't want the things that I don't know are there to come up into the house.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• image morgann2010:

None of my curtains can be open after dark. Somebody might be watching me.

Speaking of fears, my FIL is irrationally terrified of dwarves. He will walk in the opposite direction if he sees a dwarf. He also refuses to admit it or talk about it.

When I hear dwarf, I think of Disney characters.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm afraid of tube slides at water parks (the kids that are tubes all the way down with openings only at the top and bottom).  I have a fear that when I am on it, it will fall off the platform and down into the water, and that somehow, I will be stuck in the middle and will drown before I can swim to the end.  There are SO many ways that wouldn't really happen, but I'm still scared that it would.
  • I hate having blinds/curtains open after dark. Don't like that the glare from the lights inside keeps me from being able to see what's out there.
  • If the closet is closed with the light on at night, I'm pretty sure it opens up a portal to hell or someone is waiting in there to attack me, but he didn't want to wait in the dark cuz it's scary