Babies: 0 - 3 Months

One month old, sleeping unswaddled?

My baby can break her arms out of almost every swaddle I tried. I did find one a YouTube video called escape proof swaddle that would work for we where you use a receiving blanket to hold their arms straight down at their sides and then use a swaddle wrap over that. But with that she seemed to be waking up and being angry that her arms were straight. Also, she is very warm blooded so she was sweating like crazy. So is started using the AA muslin swaddle blankets and just wrapping her with her arms almost out. The first night she slept great. Went a 5 hour stretch. Then the second night was horrible, with her waking every 2 hours. Now I don't know if it has to do with the swaddle, or just one of those nights. Does anyone have a little one who sleeps with their arms unswaddled??

Re: One month old, sleeping unswaddled?

• I swaddle LO from the chest down. She hates her arms tucked in!
  • I could not get my son to sleep swaddled. He wanted his hand free all the time and would get angry if they were tucked in. As soon as we left the hospital he was never swaddled. He slept in a swing for a while (which he loved) and now he is 3 months old and sleeps in a crib. Try a swing. That is what finally worked for us because we had the same problem
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekelly422:
    I swaddle LO from the chest down. She hates her arms tucked in!

This!
  • Does she sleep pretty well at night that way?
  • Get a Woombie. Babies can't get out of them. They were designed by a NICU nurse.
  • Halo sack saved us. LO didn't live being swaddled but sleeps much better with one. She doesn't fight it anymore until she wakes up in the morning and wants to stretch.
  • imageJillsee:
    imagekelly422:
    This!

Ditto.  We swaddled the first couple weeks and she was constantly breaking out so we went to swaddling from the chest down and quit swaddling around one month bc she just didn't like the constraint.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• B has never really liked to be swaddled- he like his arms free. And he sleeps fine. 
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • imageJillsee:
    imagekelly422:

This![t/quote]

We use swaddle me's with arms up. Seems to work.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • LO was amazing at breaking out of the swaddle - even the nurses' double swaddle in the hospital.  And LO loves sleeping with his hands above his head.  So we've been swaddle free since our second night home from the hospital.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • We're about 50/50 with the swaddle and he seems to be fine without it. I only really break out the swaddle if we're having trouble getting him to sleep.  For naps I almost never use it.
  • We have never swaddled our DS and he is a great sleeper, STTN. At 2.5 months. I think it just depends on the baby... I would give it a few more nights/keep experimenting!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • mgm84mgm84 member
    Glad to hear I am not alone!  DD likes to be in the Halo or Swaddle Me sleep sacks, arms out!

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• DS just sleeps in a onesie with a footed sleeper over it.  He sleeps with his arms above his head, so swaddling never worked.
  • My LO sleeps in a sleeper and then a sleep sack to keep her warm. She hates when her arms are trapped.
  • We didn't swaddle. DS didn't break Wink
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am a FTM and baby is still on the inside, so you can take this with a grain of salt. Smile But I went on a hospital tour the other day and the RN giving the tour mentioned that many babies prefer to have their hands free. She said, "Think about where their hands are when you see them in ultrasounds...always near their face!" She said just keep their nails filed and you're all set.
  • imagebaby Gs mommy:
    imagekelly422:
    This for us too. Ds hates to have his arms restricted.

if we swaddle, this is what we do. if it is too hot, then we will just let her sleep in a sleeper.

she doesn't get awakened with the startle reflex, typically, either.....

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We didn't swaddle and our LO was fine! He hated being restrained and would wake up constantly if we tried to swaddle him.
  • jlpevjlpev member
    imagekelly422:

This!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cmw327cmw327 member
    edited August 2013
    My daughter hates being swaddled. She has to have her arms out. I bought those swaddle me blankets with the Velcro. I swaddled her from the waist down. She sleeps great.
  • Check out "The Happiest Baby on the Block" dvd or book. It explains why LO's don't usually like to be JUST swaddled. The secret is in the "5 S's"

Really, you'll be glad you did.
  • We don't swaddle. DD hates it so we gave up. She's 7 weeks and sleeps from 11pm to 4 am every night.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • We used to only swaddle without his arms tucked in (with Halo sleepsack).  Now he doesn't get swaddled.  He has been sleeping 8 hours here and there before 2 months and after two months 8 hours, and now 10 hours each night!  One time he even went 11.5 hours (and on the weekend allowing us to sleep in).  So I do not believe swaddling is the key to them sleeping well!  If he/she does not like their arms tucked in, do not tuck them in.  His poor hannies get cold but I always warm them up when BF'ing him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO never slept swaddled. Never liked it. She prefers footsie pajamas and a blanket.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

• We have never swaddled her. She sleeps just fine and does not startle awake. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"