Baby Names
Options

Too common?

DH and I have gone round and round with boy names, and of course we just found out we are having a boy. I had told him a while ago that on my list of names I liked was Alexander.

Recently he became infatuated with it. I'm kind of bummed because I like the name Alexander, but it's kind of on the bottom of my list. I much prefer slightly more unique names, but I don't know.

How does everyone here feel about it? Too overused? Classic? Too common? 

Help please. In an attempt to sway me, DH has started referring to my tummy as 'baby Alex' when he talks to it. Come on now....

Re: Too common?

• Options
    Alexander is a great name. It is traditional, familiar, easy to say and spell, and masculine. It is, however, a top 10. How about as a mn?

• Options
    I agree, it is a great, classic boy name.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's great.

Boys names are hard. It's like with them the good ones are super popular and for good reason, or they're so out there it's beyond even unique. There seems to not be a lot of middle ground like with girl names.

There's a lot of nns you could make out of Alexander if you want something more unique. I know a few Alexander's and they all go by something different.

• Options
    It is a little blah for me. I have a son named Xander...but Alexander was never even considered.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    I feel like I have been seeing and hearing it a lot lately, but I can't deny that it is a solid, respectable name that will grow well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's very popular. It's #9 on the SSA list for babies born last year. Which means there will be TONS of boys named it when he's in school. If that bothers you then I would find a different name.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think it's a good classic name. It's very unisex I think as long as it that doesn't bug you. I don't know any babies with this name right now!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yea I feel like there could potentially be a million Alexander's in his class which bums me out. But it is a pretty solid name. Maybe I can nickname him Zan?..

• Options
    imagemkhardy:
    I think it's a good classic name. It's very unisex I think as long as it that doesn't bug you. I don't know any babies with this name right now!

I've never ever heard of Alexander being referred to as unisex?

• Options
    I think it is a great name! Even though it might be popular now it has been for years. I say if it starts to grow on you go for it if not keep thinking.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

classic and strong name

cant go wrong with that...so much better than trendy and made up

• Options

I like Alexander a lot, but it is super popular. I think if you have an uncommon LN it shouldn't be a problem.

But keep looking until you find something you both really like, you can always have Alexander on the list.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageScarlettV:
    imagemkhardy:

I am hoping she is referring to the NN Alex. ::fingers crossed::

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemagsugar13:

classic and strong name

cant go wrong with that...so much better than trendy and made up

yep 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I do think it's common, but it's still a fine name.  I did not want a very common boys name and took a loooong time to come up with a name.  You'd better tell DH that you are just ho-hum on the name.  If it's not calling to you then maybe you can use it for mn.

I lump this name into the same categories as Michael, James, Christopher etc.  Classic, still very much used.

• Options

imageScarlettV:
    imagemkhardy:

Yeah, same to both of the highlighted parts.

ETA: I agree that you could  compromise and use it as a MN. That would also help with the popularity if you feel it is a deal breaker.  However, I know a lot of people with kids and with new babies as well and I think of all of them, only one is an Alexander. The popularity could be regional?? Or spread out?

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think Alexander/Alex is a great name.  If you're not happy, though, you should talk it over with your husband.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Options
    Alexander is popular for a reason: a classic, great name. I like it!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I LOVE the name Alexander! It's so masculine, classic and timeless. I would categorize it as a popular name... it's been in the top 20 in the last 20 years. However, I would not categorize it as trendy, mainly because it is a steady name. I wouldn't let its popularity sway you to be honest. Great name!

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, they make me feel better. I do agree that it seems to be a very timeless name; can't really go wrong. And our last name is only two letters so I think having the option of the longer First name will sound nice.

• Options
    It's popular, but classic.  I like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"