February 2013 Moms

Are babies expensive?

Stolen from April 2013

Do you think having a baby is expensive?

I think the 1st is more expensive because if all the gear and such.

DD2 gets all her sisters hand me down gear, toys, clothes...I do buy the occasional cute outfit, but I don't go crazy. She gets her sisters carseats since DD1 has grown out of them and its silly to me to buy a ton of new toys since the ones we have work great.

I don't cloth diaper, so there's the expense of disposables. I BF, so no formula to buy.

If we have a third we will have to buy new carseats because they will have expired by then. If its a boy we will have to buy clothes.

Overall though, I don't think babies are all that expensive.
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Are babies expensive?

• I think they can be or can possibly not be, depending on how you do it. I like to buy clothes, so I'm sure that'll be a big expense for us. We disposable diaper, which gets pricey. And the cost of daycare is a little over the top. We also travel a lot, so we've been having to buy an extra plane ticket and get a larger room so we can comfortably fit with the baby and her gear. Based on what DH and I liked growing up, LO will want to play a lot of sports, which I know can get ridiculously pricey. We plan on paying for our children to go to college, so there's that a huge expense. We have the money to "spoil" our kid, so we probably will. I do think it's totally possible to make raising a baby inexpensive though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I don't think so either. We buy disposable diapers and formula, but I look for coupons and online deals. I use tons of formula checks.

We got most everything we need from my shower and any other expenses were just because I wanted to Haha.

There are tons of ways to save money if people really want to... Coupons, sales, website searching, garage sales, hand me downs from other people, thrift stores!

I tend to like the nicest things and have still gotten them even with the baby... We can afford to pay full price, but who would WANT to!?!?

Edit: I haven't gone back to work yet either! Not until September

Second edit: I forgot about daycare. Yes it's expensive, but when we add in my income again it'll be very easy! It's just a small portion of my income.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I feel like if you work childcare is very expensive. However, that's pretty much the biggest expense I can think of at this age. IMO they get more expensive when they're older. Eventually they will want certain clothes, toys, a car and college. Those are all pretty darn expensive! 

At this age, if your a SAHM, the cost is pretty minimal IMO. Especially, if you we're gifted a majority of the baby gear. I mean, FFing and disposible is an expense but its easy to find coupons and good deals on those items. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We can afford to pay full price, but who would WANT to!?!?

...I think this may be my motto in life. lol. The only significant expense is daycare....and even then we have a pre tax account so that helps a little for that. 

We COULD buy everything new but it absolutely makes my day to get good deals on diapers/clothes etc. We have a baby consignment store that I absolutely LOVE , craigslist, amazon etc.... I'll pretty much never pay retail for anything!

• I don't think ey have to be.

dS is able to use a lot of dd's gear, most of which was gifted through my shower.  He may be using a pink and brown pnp, but it was silly to buy a new one.  Some things we need to of. Since they are close in age, like high chairs, convertible carseats, etc.

We use store brand formula and diapers.  I actually prefer both to name brand.   I work PT and my mom watches the kids, so we are fortunate to have free child care.   

Like PP said, we can afford full price, but don't see the point.  I check clearance sections and sales to buy things we need for the future.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • Not really. I think I've only bought DD 2 outfits so far, we got tons of clothes gifted to us. We have bought her numerous toys and such, but we wouldn't have had to if we couldn't afford it. Diapers are somewhat of an expense, but I BF so we don't have to buy formula. Also, we are blessed enough to have lots of family close by who watch DD for free when I work [only a couple days a week at the most], so there are no daycare or babysitting costs.
    For me, I worry about the cost of children as they get older; clothes, school supplies, food, entertainment, college, weddings, etc. It's not a big deal when they're babies, but as they grow they get much more expensive!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    image kbates85:

I feel like if you work childcare is very expensive. However, that's pretty much the biggest expense I can think of at this age. IMO they get more expensive when they're older. Eventually they will want certain clothes, toys, a car and college. Those are all pretty darn expensive! 

At this age, if your a SAHM, the cost is pretty minimal IMO. Especially, if you we're gifted a majority of the baby gear. I mean, FFing and disposible is an expense but its easy to find coupons and good deals on those items. 

ITA especially with the bolded! I don't spend much on the baby. No daycare, no formula, I do buy diapers but it is not too bad. I just bought all of his 6-9 months clothes on sale, and really it wasn't much at all.

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • DH and I were just talking about this the other day. As of right now, aside from hospital bills, we have spent very little on our little guy. I BF and cd most of the time. I have spent 50 in disposables in 5 months. All of our big baby gear carseat, crib, pnp, swing, bouncer, you name it was given to us as a gift. The only thing i bought was a boba carrier. So all in all right now, we have spent very little. I am sure that will all change once he starts eating and wanting/needing more things, but the baby stage is pretty cheap!
  • I think DS1 was expensive for sure.  A car seat alone will set you back $200!  DS2 really didn't cost us anything but a hospital copay and a new car seat though.  If you factor in medical bills for you and baby and even maternity clothes, then yes, they are extremely expensive!  I think "expensive" is relative to the people too.  If you are poor to start with, then the hospital visit alone might break the bank.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • tdmd09tdmd09
    Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    I agree it can be expensive. I feel like we're really not spending any more money than we used to, we're just spending it differently. We eat out way less, and the money we save there is probably what allows us to buy things like his jumperoo and a high chair, for example. I was able to drop my hours at work down to part time, and we're still doing fine financially.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Considering that I don't work now, hell yes, babies are expensive. They basically cost me my entire paycheck after taxes plus 401K and healthcare benefits that I don't have anymore (we now pay extra to be covered through DH's insurance). If I had continued to work, then they would cost about the same in childcare costs. Daycare around here is ~1700/month per child, or a nanny would run about $800/week. 

The gear, food, clothing and diapers is an insignificant portion of the total cost.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For the first few months, she was relatively inexpensive. Going back to work, she became expensive. In one year, we'll spend roughly $20k on childcare, which is what it cost for me to pay for FIVE YEARS of college. Is she in the cheapest daycare possible? No, we could have done it for about $10k/year if we'd found a home daycare we were comfortable with, but that didn't work out for us. 

At the end of the day having and caring for a baby isn't expensive.. It's paying someone else to care for her that is.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yup, kids are expensive IMO. Breastfeeding didn't work out, and DD has a milk sensitivity so her formula is pretty expensive even with formula checks. Also, we pay for MIL to watch her while we work and pay health insurance. Add in the cost of other incidentals and it adds up. I agree she will be more expensive later, but I wouldn't call having a baby inexpensive right now either.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • I think cost of being a parent depends on your parenting style and your income level as well as your lifestyle.

There are some things I pay full price for that I might find can cost me less if I shop around, but it saves me time. Time is precious to me now as I notice DD cuts more into my time than my expenses.

As far as costing more as she gets older, we believe in the matching system for non-need based expenses. i.e. DD wants a bike so she saves from her allowance from doing chores and we match her extra effort, DD wants college, she can work PT to pay for it and we can take on the rest, DD wants a car and we match whatever she can save for it, etc. Its still an extra expense but its not overly expensive and it builds character.

Babies and children are an extra expense but they don't have to be expensive.

• Well we have twins so yes BUT not as expensive as I expected. We get great diaper deals on amazon mom and at BJ's. We formula feed which is the most expensive part but my SO buys it online and its cheaper. We got everything we needed at our shower and any toys I buy cheap or use Facebook online yard sale sites.
  • image pitterpatter129:
    I think DS1 was expensive for sure.nbsp; A car seat alone will set you back 200!nbsp; DS2 really didn't cost us anything but a hospital copay and a new car seat though.nbsp; If you factor in medical bills for you and baby and even maternity clothes, then yes, they are extremely expensive!nbsp; I think "expensive" is relative to the people too.nbsp; If you are poor to start with, then the hospital visit alone might break the bank. nbsp;

I guess it depends on your hospital bills. The only bill I had with either DD was the initial copay to see my OB for the first pregnancy visit. No hospital bill, nada.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • I think it depends. For us, no. I have good health insurance, I BF, we CD, and my mom us retired, so she watches DD on days DH and I both work. We were fortunate to have most of our " startup" costs covered through my baby shower. So the only big thing we had to pay for was the deductible for her birth. Now it's mostly doctor copays, wipes, and some clothes. Convertible car seats will cost us, but with all we are saving on the other stuff, it's not that big a deal.

But if you FF, disposable diaper, use daycare and have mediocre health insurance, heck yes they're expensive!!
  • Daycare is the big expense for us.  It's $1600 a month until she goes to public school.  Also I took non-paid maternity leave so I lost almost 6 months of wages and an opportunity for promotion.  
  • Medical bills and daycare are expensive. However, there's less time for DH and I to go out for dinner, entertainment, and vacations, so I think we make up a lot of the cost that way. One of my many reasons I BF is bc it's free minus the pump I had to buy, but I know formula would be more expensive. There are definitely ways to make the expense reasonable, like buying diapers and wipes on sale and with coupons only, not going overboard with buying clothes and toys, and of course having grandmas that spoil her has helped in not needing to buy any clothes! And not to sound snarky at all bc I know that situations out of our control can come up, but waiting until you are financially stable before you choose to have kids is an absolute must IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married the love of my life July 2010! TTC since Dec 2011.
    BFP #1: 1/20/12; missed m/c 2/17/12; d&c 3/2/12
    BFP #2: 6/1/12; EDD 2/12/13, DD born 1/5/13 at 34w 5d!
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image pitterpatter129:
    I think DS1 was expensive for sure.nbsp; A car seat alone will set you back 200!nbsp; DS2 really didn't cost us anything but a hospital copay and a new car seat though.nbsp; If you factor in medical bills for you and baby and even maternity clothes, then yes, they are extremely expensive!nbsp; I think "expensive" is relative to the people too.nbsp; If you are poor to start with, then the hospital visit alone might break the bank. nbsp;
    I guess it depends on your hospital bills. The only bill I had with either DD was the initial copay to see my OB for the first pregnancy visit. No hospital bill, nada.

Ours was only $350 for all prenatal and hospital care, including the csection with DS1!  Insurance is awesome.  But for some people, they may not have that option.  I have friends that are still paying the hospital bill years later.  And I had baby showers and hand me downs from family and buy all our things at consignment sales, but some people may not have access to those things either.  We have two planned babies, but even though you should be financially stable before planning a family, well, a lot of families these days aren't planned. :)  ETA:  And I still think ours were expensive. :)  And "financially stable" doesn't necessarily mean "well off".

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image pitterpatter129:

That's how my first was when I had awesome insurance. This time we reached the 3k maximum out of pocket for me and the 3k for DD, so 6k total. It doesn't seem terrible though when you consider that her week in the NICU was about 98,000! At least we didn't have to pay that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It also depends a lot on where you live, both in the US or overseas. Even within the US I've seen posts on TB comparing childcare costs, and they vary widely depending on the area. Here in Germany it's not that expensive even though there are no baby showers so you have to buy all your own gear. The government pays you about $200 per month per child, so that covers diaper and formula plus at least some clothes. And that lasts until they turn 27, get married, or get a job, whichever comes first. Still, I'm anticipating that it won't cover most of the costs later when the DDs get into sports / instruments / whatever. And it certainly doesn't cover our flights back to the US, which are now extremely expensive with 4 (well, 3.5) tickets to buy instead of 2.

image tiffanyp:
    That's how my first was when I had awesome insurance. This time we reached the 3k maximum out of pocket for me and the 3k for DD, so 6k total. It doesn't seem terrible though when you consider that her week in the NICU was about 98,000! At least we didn't have to pay that!

And again, with an insurance premium not a whole lot higher than for some people in the US (8% of DH's pay), all four of us are insured with no co-pay for dr's appointments. For my c/s and 7 day hospital stay with DD1, I paid 10 euros (about $14). For DD1's 16 day NICU stay, I paid $0. There are no co-pays for anything for kids except an occasional co-pay on medication (and by that I mean I have to pay 1 euro every 3 months for her Vit D supplements prescribed by the doctor).

I know that's a unique situation compared to a lot of women on the board since most of you are in the US, but I just wanted to give another perspective on what it's like somewhere else.

How about you Canadian moms - what's it like in Canada?

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• All depends! You can go with the bare minimal and even get that second hand/cheap! I paid for comfort and for things to make life easier!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to go with yes. Daycare is like another mortgage payment for us, so we definitely spend our money differently than we used to. We can afford it, but it's not cheap. My dad told me when we had DS to get used to no longer having extra time and extra money. Check and check.
    BFP#1: 12.27.11, EDD 9.6.12, M/C 1/6/12 at 5w
    BFP#2: 5.26.12, EDD 2.7.13, DS Born 2.1.13
  • Ann003Ann003
    Ancient Membership 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I already posted on the April board, but will post here too. I don't think they HAVE to be expensive, but my babies definitely are. But of course, it's all about the choices I make. I could cloth diaper, use reusable wipes, only buy used clothes and toys, etc. I do mostly buy used gear, clothes, and toys, but I get a lot of new stuff too. I can't EBF since they are on a special high calorie diet, so we do have to buy a little formula to add to my pumped breast milk. Of course, that means bottles and stuff like that too. And also, it's our choice to have a full time nanny to help me so I can get some rest. But then again, we can afford all of this and we're done after these two.
    image image
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • For us ds was expensive because of the fact we adopted him! Other than that 30k he wasn't. We got all the big toys and jumpers and such handed down to us by a coworker. All his clothes that we didn't get from showers have been handed down. Still each season I spend maybe 50 on new clothes mainly church clothes because we get stuff from her son. We did disposable diapers and formula which we had about a year's worth of diapers gifted to us. Someone gave us 6 months worth of formula too.
    Now with dd we do cloth and bf. We even had someone give us 12 pocket diapers. We have been very blessed with people giving us things. When we start solids I have frozen a ton of veggies from our garden to use. We have new clothes up to 12 months and my cousin has given us all her dd's clothes as she outgrows them!
    Also dh is in the military so the kids insurance is free. So, for is they are not expensive. God is good!
    My mom kept ds and now I am a sahm so no daycare expenses. Also, we didn't have to pay any hospital bills because of our insurance.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • No, babies are cheap in our house.  There is the cost of delivery, but other than that, we don't have to spend much.  I BF until well over a year and delay solids until about a year.  We cloth diaper and usually also have a toddler in diapers, so there isn't even an increased cost associated with washing since I'm already doing a load a day as it is.

My kids have been relatively healthy.  I can see a baby being expensive if you're having a lot of medical-related costs with extra doctor visits, but besides that, kids don't really get expensive in my house until they are about kindergarten age and we have costs associated with school and activities.  Plus, they start eating a lot more at that age.

DS1 - 8/07  DS2 - 1/09  DD1 - 3/11  DD2 - 2/13