Babies: 3 - 6 Months

PIP, Come laugh at my creation!

First off, let me preface this by saying that this thing was so not built for beauty! It was made with scrap pieces of a fabric I like to call "old lady curtains" :P

(There is no real reason to this post other than AW)
(Also, I made all the pictures clicky so you can see them bigger if you like)
Anyways, I was having some issues with my Garanimals velcro SwaddleMe.
First was that Josie seemed to grow too big overnight. Not for the swaddle, but for me to hold her up against my chest while her legs were forced straight in the swaddle.
Second was that she learned to bust out of the d*mn thing, like so many others have reported... which, of course, led to sleepless nights.

Well here is my solution, Ladies, I give you: Frankenswaddle!

I took the idea for the bottom from this thing called the "ZipadeeZip", which we use for naps.
Now I can hold Baby to my chest and she will wrap her legs around me instead of being forced to hold them straight down. This freedom of legs does not cause her to sleep less.

The little squares of fabric are what I like to affectionately refer to as "baby handcuffs" lol. They don't squeeze her arms or anything, they only make it so she can't pull her arms to her chest and then break out from there. Same concept as the Anna & Eve Swaddle Strap.
(these pics were taken about 3 days ago and I have since made her "baby cuffs" more spacious and have also cinched the extra fabric up by her neck so it is more snug on her shoulders)

Now she can't escape and sleeps for an 11-hour stretch at night! Woo!

So what do you ladies think? Is this thing just ridiculous? Or would you do something similar faced with the same issues?

Also, because I'm already here, this is one of many diaper covers/bloomers I made while pregnant and it finally fits her properly so I just want to show it off :)
I'll be the first to admit, the ruffles may be a tad overboard, lol.

....my husband just corrected me by saying "I think you mean Frankenstein's Swaddle Monster" ...haha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: PIP, Come laugh at my creation!

• Love it!
    Also your daughter is freaking adorable! What a sweetie!

Me: 38, DH: 36, MC 9/07 at 12 weeks DS: 7/25/08 TTC#2 since 11/11 BFP 5/28/12!! DD 1/31/13

• I think its pretty smart! Love the baby handcuffs! We just transitioned out of these into the sleepsuit because she was escaping from the swaddle, your idea would have worked! Baby is beautiful! :
  • Genius. Patent it and make some money!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image jennylyna:
    Genius. Patent it and make some money!

SERIOUSLY.

I am impressed with your sewing abilities.  I don't know how to sew!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image jennylyna:
    Genius. Patent it and make some money!

This 100%. Do it quick before your idea is stolen. 

• Amazing! I am jealous of your sewing skills!

• Thanks, all, for the compliments :)
    Thanks also for the encouragement to patent. Unfortunately, items made from fabrics can't be patented, copyrighted or trademarked. Anybody is free to "copy" the design of any piece of clothing-- and even to sell their "copied" pieces --and no legal action can be taken. So feel free to make these for yourselves or sell them to whom you like!
  • image BNHarris8:
    Thanks, all, for the compliments : Thanks also for the encouragement to patent. Unfortunately, items made from fabrics can't be patented, copyrighted or trademarked. Anybody is free to "copy" the design of any piece of clothing and even to sell their "copied" pieces and no legal action can be taken. So feel free to make these for yourselves or sell them to whom you like!

Sell some on Etsy! I'd buy one!
    Obviously I'm not crafty and can't sew to save my life

Edited for autocorrect

Laparoscopic cyst removal and LEEP 09/2009

BFP 10/31/2012 - Emily arrived 07/02/2013!

• Love it!  Much better solution than mine, we used diaper pins to attach my sons sleeves to his waist when he insisted on  breaking out of swaddled and then getting mad about it.
  • Ok, I'm alone here, but I think baby handcuffs seem extreme. Don't get me wrong: kuddos to you for thinking and creating it! And obviously it's the opposite of cruel since your LO likes it and sleeps better with it.  I just have trouble with the idea. That said, I do swaddle DD and I think it's the same thing. She does break out of her swaddle at times, and I just take it as a sign that she needs to start learning to sleep without the swaddle because rolling over is coming. Al things in due time. But that's just me. You're super talented btw. And I disagree about the ruffles! They are adorable and not over the top! She's a baby girl - if she doesn't wear the ruffles, who will? Lol love it!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Mireille LeBlanc:
    Ok, I'm alone here, but I think baby handcuffs seem extreme. Don't get me wrong: kuddos to you for thinking and creating it! And obviously it's the opposite of cruel since your LO likes it and sleeps better with it.  I just have trouble with the idea. That said, I do swaddle DD and I think it's the same thing. She does break out of her swaddle at times, and I just take it as a sign that she needs to start learning to sleep without the swaddle because rolling over is coming. Al things in due time. But that's just me. You're super talented btw. And I disagree about the ruffles! They are adorable and not over the top! She's a baby girl - if she doesn't wear the ruffles, who will? Lol love it!

It's funny I'm actually surprised nobody else was put-off by my "baby handcuffs". Or at least if they were, they kept that to themselves... I think it may just be my lovely terminology. Even though I think the name "baby handcuffs" is funny(because, face it, we've all had that thought once!), it does make me a bit uneasy.
    I got the idea from the rave reviews I was reading about the Anna & Eve swaddle strap, which uses little pillows to do basically the same exact thing that I did here with Frankenswaddle. Though, when you look at theirs, you think, "aww, sweet little pillows"(lol) and mine seems a bit more harsh and straightforward.

I honestly hate having to put her in this thing and I did attempt to have her sleep with freedom(in the Zippy sleepsack) for a full 7 days, thinking(hoping) she would get used to it. She didn't. She would wake up cranky often, and so did her father and I for that matter. Apparently she just isn't ready to not be swaddled yet. I will try again in a couple weeks.

If it makes you feel better, I altered it more so she does have a good amount of freedom with her arms- she just can't get them up and out of the swaddle(where she can smack herself in the head and get angry, lol).
    At the first sign of her rolling on her belly, I will no longer swaddle. Even if it means no sleep for a while. I don't want her to roll on her face and be stuck with no arms. But, for the time being, she seems to have no interest in rolling in either direction.

Thanks for the compliments too! I agree--if babies don't wear ruffles, who will? It's too bad adults would look completely ridiculous in 99% of the stuff we put small children in. Babies have the most adorable clothes ever :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards