January 2013 Moms

nbr: anyone sew?

So I may need to be talked out of this.  I'm thinking of taking up sewing (with a sewing machine, not by hand).  How hard is it?  Is it expensive?  I feel like I have this creative energy that I can't get out at work due to the type of work I do so I need to do something.  The reason I may need to be talked out is because I've tried knitting and cake decorating.  I sucked at cake decorating and knitting just took too long.  I see so many cute things on Etsy and I'm thinking once I get good enough I'd love to open up my own shop.  A friend made DS a changing pad, carrier for diapers and wipes, toy holder (that holds toys to the stroller or whatever) and a couple other little things and they're so cute.  She doesn't want to open her own store but said she'd show me how to do it.  Feasible yay or  nay?  DH is not at all on board.  But I figured I could also learn how to hem which would be nice.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Our Little Angel: BFP 1/25/2014 (EDD 10/4/2014), u/s #1 3/6/2014, u/s #2 3/18/2014 no heartbeat, mmc

image

My Chart
                                                                                All AL Welcome 

Re: nbr: anyone sew?

• I sew and find that it's a really handy skill to have.  I love working on crafty projects, plus I've put my skills to use on several projects which have saved us money too!  There is a learning curve, but if you have someone who is willing to teach you the basics you'll have a great jumping off point!  I say go for it!  I doubt you'll regret it.  

FWIW, I purchased my sewing machine secondhand through Craigslist for $40.  I've definitely made that money back at this point by saving money with some of my projects :) 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I did a lot of sewing before DS was born and am just now starting to get back into it. I think it's a fairly inexpensive hobby if you try to keep it that way. I've saved a lot of money making things for the nursery, cloth wipes, a wet bag and face cloths. I also save money by buying second hand clothes and doing simple alterations. The only thing about sewing as a hobby is that you need space to do it. You need a lot of space to put the sewing machine, to lay out material and now that LO is crawling I worry about pins and string that I may have missed. I will probably designate a room that DS doesn't go in ever to do my sewing from now on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ==N====N==
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    I recently taught myself. It's not too hard. I got my sewing machine at michaels with one of their weekly 40 off coupon. A lot of stuff can be made with fat quarters which cost less than 2 or even 1 when they're on sale so overall it's not too expensive. Plus you can up cycle clothes or things you already have.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I sew.  It can be as expensive as you want it to be :)  Some projects and things you make can save you money and others can get really pricy really fast!  So it is what you make it.  But I will tell you that most clothes and etc that you make will be a MUCH higher quality than what you buy at the store!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • I started in 2012 but really haven't since DS was born but I want to take it up again....I have a list of projects including Christmas stockings and teeth guards for DS's crib.

I've made curtains, pillows, a nursing cover (that I never used).

100 "Parks And Recreation" GIFs To Celebrate The Show's 100th Episode

Anniversary

• jcar2jcar2
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary
    Thank you everyone! We ended up going out to lunch with the inlaws and I mentioned about learning to sew. It was my lucky day. She has her mother's sewing machine and let me have it for now. She showed me how to use it and do a couple practice stitches. I can't believe it still works, it's 70 years old. At least I can try out sewing to see if I like it before actually buying a machine.
    Our Little Angel: BFP 1/25/2014 (EDD 10/4/2014), u/s #1 3/6/2014, u/s #2 3/18/2014 no heartbeat, mmc

image

My Chart
                                                                                    All AL Welcome