Breastfeeding

S/O bfing in public

Have you ever been embarrassed, asked to leave, or had a bad experience bfing in public? I nursed my older 3 to a year, and now nursing my 4 mo old, and I have had one experience that was not horrible, but was lame. I was in a restaurant, and my baby was hungry and fussing so I go to nurse him. This guy was sitting with another lady, and a toddler. So I used my swaddle blanket to drape over my shoulder since he was just starring at me. As soon as I start nursing he said something to the lady he was with, then she turned and was starring at me. It was probably just a second, but it was strange, then they turned, mumbled something and laughed. It was pretty obvious they were laughing at me. Perhaps they were not, but with how things happened it just seems like they were. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that what I was doing was anything strange enough to gawk at, it is a shame. That said it was the first time, and I have nursed in public a lot, so I guess that is a pretty good track record. Anyone else have any stories?

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!

Re: S/O bfing in public

• I surprisingly haven't had any issues. And that's saying a lot because I nurse her everywhere. When she turned 3 months old we took her to the Denver zoo with some friends. She got hungry and i told DH and our friends to go on ahead and I'd catch up so they didn't have to just wait around. There wasn't really anywhere to feed her so I just sat on one of the benches along the wallway. A hundred people probably walked by. There were two exhibits right in front of us but it didn't even cross my mind! I was just thinking a out feeding the baby and while she nursed I told her all the sounds she was hearing. It was such a beautiful day and I kept thinking how wonderful an experience it was to feed her in such a different place than our couch! It wasn't until I caught back up with them and we later walked by the bench that I told DH "that's where I fed her". He looked at me and said "with all these people around!?" I honestly didn't even think about the people. I had a tank under my top so no skin was showing. I didn't have a cover bc of that and no one gave it a second glance that I remember.

I love nursing her outside and I have no issue feeding her in places. I'll use a cover if I can but she usually rips it off.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I've never had an issue, and I've breastfed in restaurants, at the Milwaukee Zoo, wherever I needed to.  I did see a woman breastfeeding her baby while grocery shopping, I thought that was impressive (her husband was with her).  Oh, and my daughter refuses to be covered so we don't even bother.
  • I've just learned not to care. I'm definitely getting more looks these days if I NIP but I think that's because DD is a toddler and people seem to think that she should be weaned by now. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10500307_704519529613729_3315541686531378540_n
  • I've never had any issues and DD has always hated being covered.  We've nursed in restaurants, at the zoo, state fair, the mall, I've nursed her in the car before going grocery shopping.  No one has ever said anything and I've never noticed anyone staring.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I've only had one instance of someone saying something and it wasn't TO me, but I saw it. A middle aged couple were walking passed me nursing DS on a bench in the mall. The man said something apparently negative and the woman punched him in the arm and said, "Well what else is she supposed to do?!" Love it.

When it comes to nursing in public I find that significantly fewer people even notice I'm nursing if I don't use a cover. Its WAY more obvious if you are under a freaking blanket in public than if you're just holding the baby. I've actually had conversations with people who didn't realize I was nursing. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 10/22/13 - 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

• The only time(s) I've felt uncomfortable nursing has been on airplanes, mostly when I've been seated next to a man. Well, I shouldnt say all the men I've sat next too. I've sat next to some grandparents/Granddads and they were totally cool about it. Just a few times I've sat next to some lame dudes, and I could tell they were uncomfortable which annoyed me more than anything. 
  • SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    image OhSewCrafty:

I've only had one instance of someone saying something and it wasn't TO me, but I saw it. A middle aged couple were walking passed me nursing DS on a bench in the mall. The man said something apparently negative and the woman punched him in the arm and said, "Well what else is she supposed to do?!" Love it.

When it comes to nursing in public I find that significantly fewer people even notice I'm nursing if I don't use a cover. Its WAY more obvious if you are under a freaking blanket in public than if you're just holding the baby. I've actually had conversations with people who didn't realize I was nursing. 

To be fair some people are not comfortable nursing with out a cover or blanket. You don't hide under a freaking blanket, and it can be as discrete as nursing with out. For me I just drape it over my chest until I get him latched on them usually take it off. Never at any point am I sitting there with a blanket over me, nor has my head ever even been under the blanket.

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • leasajleasaj
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its
    You all are way braver than I am. I have nursed in car, fitting room bathroom. My LO comes off so often, flails, and refuses to be covered. I just don't want to give everyone an eyeful.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope!  I nursed DD until she was 20 months without any comments from strangers.  My in-laws made several comments mostly about me STILL nursing her.  Ha ha ha.  Also one time a friend of mine from HS said something on FB about how he couldn't believe he saw someone breastfeeding at the grocery store, and I ripped into him.  His comment wasn't directed at me though.