Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Bad advice or old wives' tales

Any you would like to share?

My aunt and uncle told me that when DD's teething got "too bad" to go outside, look in a flooded ditch, and grab a crawfish. Then, while its still alive, twist the tail off, peel it, and rub the raw meat on DD's gums. Apparently its fool proof.

Ummm.... No. Never going to happen.

BFP- 1/21/12 MC- 3/4/2012 

BFP- 4/28/2012 Born- 12/28/2012
BFP- 03/10/2014 EDD- 10/27/2014 ITS A BOY!
imageimageimage

N'14 September Challenge: All Things Fall

Re: Bad advice or old wives' tales

• Ewwwww! Nothing like giving your baby raw shell fish.

My MIL and dad, they have no contact btw, have told me several times to mix honey, whiskey, and lemon for teething. They both scoff at me and rant about "how did we survive!?" They do this about carseats too.

Another is that is should give DD formula since she's 6m and has teeth. I kindly remind people that I bf DS past a year and he had loads of teeth.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Rubbing whiskey on the gums is the advice I can't stand. It irritates me to no end.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image +MeganS+:
    Rubbing whiskey on the gums is the advice I can't stand. It irritates me to no end.

This is the one that I constantly hear. It drives me crazy. And it's the same people telling me over and over again.

And I would never do the crawfish one. Sounds nasty to me.  

• I've been told to put rice cereal in her bottle before bed to help her sleep many times. I just smile and nod because DD is breast fed and her waking once at night doesn't bother me at all.

Anniversary 
  • The last bit of advice I received was to thump my baby on the face/forehead when he bites me during BFing and it will make him stop. I wanted to ask, stop what? stop biting or stop wanting to breast feed all together. Regardless, there is no way I am thumping my baby on the face.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • All I can say is that I immediately heard the Deliverance theme song when I read the crawfish one...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Someone told me the other day that i NEED to give DD formula instead of breast milk so she can get used to preservatives and wont get sick when she starts having them in other food. What? 

Same person also said that i need to let her get sick a few times while formula feeding to build her immune system. If not, once i wean she will get very sick.

ok.. 

imageimage
    BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • image lyndsihutson:
    Someone told me the other day that i NEED to give DD formula instead of breast milk so she can get used to preservatives and wont get sick when she starts having them in other food. What?nbsp;nbsp;Same person also said that i need to let her get sick a few times while formula feeding to build her immune system. If not, once i wean she will get very sick.ok..nbsp;

So she's basically saying formula is bad, but if you eat bad stuff you become stronger? Hmm maybe I should increase my McDonald's intake. You know so it can inadvertently make me healthy.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • image spainy17:
    All I can say is that I immediately heard the Deliverance theme song when I read the crawfish one...

Bahahahahaha!

Also got the rice in the bottle advice. I FF but have no interest in giving LO cereal so I declined but people are still "it should be his first food!" Why? Because you said so?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The crawfish advice is absolutely GROSS!! Eww.

I've heard the whiskey teething advice in joking form only.

I got the cereal in the bottle advice to help DS STTN from my grandmother when DS was only 6 weeks old... I attempted to explain why I'd decline that particular advice and got the "I did that for all 7 of my kids." So now I smile and nod for anything else she says. I just visited her and she asked polite questions about DS's eating habits and made no negative comments... thought avocado was a weird first food but didn't say anything bad about it. 

I was most annoyed by OWTs when I was pregnant. I was team green and EVERYONE had an opinion about the sex of my baby based on my symptoms, how I was carrying, or food I was eating.

The most irritating opinion I've encountered since DS was born was a co-worker (mother of 3... youngest is 6 weeks younger than my DS) asked why I was still pumping at work. She said it in a tone as if I was just messing around on 'extra breaks'.... uh, no? I don't know the reasons for her choice to FF her babies and I don't pry, judge, or offer up unwanted opinions on the subject.... she doesn't need to judge my decision to BF my baby for as long as I can. I hope to make it a year so I've got another 6 months of 'extra breaks'.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    image image
    S14 September Siggy Challenge: Show I'm going to binge watch with my newborn.... and also my FEELINGS.
  • Our parents and grandparents were OBSESSED with when he was finally going to be allowed to have plain water, for some reason.
    Anniversary

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image hischelseababy:
    Any you would like to share? My aunt and uncle told me that when DD's teething got "too bad" to go outside, look in a flooded ditch, and grab a crawfish. Then, while its still alive, twist the tail off, peel it, and rub the raw meat on DD's gums. Apparently its fool proof. Ummm.... No. Never going to happen.

That is a gem right there. Ewwww. 

• *LrCg**LrCg*
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    Most people warned us not to bedshare- saying that our baby would want to nurse all the time and we would never be able to get them out of our bed.  3 babies later and all were sleeping 12 hours straight by 3 months old (prior to that they'd wake up maybe 1-2 times, nurse and go straight to sleep) and all were sleeping in their cribs by 6 months old.  Never had to CIO or sleep regressions.  I use to love when people would ask us during the newborn phase if we were getting enough sleep because honestly we were!
  • image persephonerose:
    The last bit of advice I received was to thump my baby on the face/forehead when he bites me during BFing and it will make him stop. I wanted to ask, stop what? stop biting or stop wanting to breast feed all together. Regardless, there is no way I am thumping my baby on the face.

I'm sorry, but this made me LOL! Someone actually told you to thump your kid in the face??? Seriously... some people shouldn't have kids.

• My husband's grandmother used to say to rub a sugar cube on sore gums to get the teeth through. Sounded pretty horrific to me back then (before I had my own baby). I've since been told to take a fork (yes a fork) to the gums to get the teeth through...