Food Allergy

Booo! I don't wanna be here!

This is one forum I was really hoping I'd never have to join in on.  When LO started eating solids the very first food she at was avocados.  She seemed fine on them, loved them even.  Then I started noticing her coming home from day care with beet red spots on her arms.  I asked day care if they used any products on their carpet that was new or anything like that and they didn't.  Then one day I was feeding LO avocado and her face broke out and she began vigorously rubbing her eyes.  I brought this up to the dr. and she said it may be an allergy and to keep her away from nuts until age 2.  At our 1 year check up the dr then cleared us to try anything with our daughter, even nuts! I knew she'd love peanut butter so I couldn't wait to give her some.  I gave her some on a banana and she didn't love it.  Then all of a sudden her face broke out in raised hives and she was scratching like crazy! Her nose began to run and she was sneezing non-stop.  I put her in the tub and washed what I could off of her skin.  Luckily, her breathing was never affected.  I called the dr. the next day and he immediately prescribed an epi-pen and we are currently waiting on the blood test results to confirm an allergy.  :(  Anyone else with a LO with a PB allergy? If so, are they allergic to anything else?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Booo! I don't wanna be here!

• EmR22EmR22 member

Yes, my second DD is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She was also allergic to eggs when she was one but outgrew it by around 3. Honestly the nut allergies have been a lot easier to deal with than the eggs. And she was diagnosed early so she hasn't developed a taste for them and now has to avoid them. 

Good luck with your LO. It's an adjustment but not horrible. It just takes some time to figure stuff out! 

• Are avocados considered tree nuts?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LO went into anaphylaxis from eating a few bites of fish when he was 11 months old.  We had to rush him to the hospital. We then got tested and found out that he has fish (severe), peanut (severe) and cat (mild) allergies. We carry an epi-pen - actually we have 3: one at daycare, one at our house, and one in his backpack at all times.  It totally sucks.  No one in our extended families have allergies.

I feel like the peanut one has been eaiser to handle because so many kids these days have peanut allergies and a lot of daycares and schools are nut-free.  The fish one has been harder on us.  We used to love going out to eat but now every time we do, I get quite anxious.  I've been researching non-stop to try and see what we can do to help him "out-grow" his allergies, but nothing has proven to work.

• imagestephaniejfree:
    Are avocados considered tree nuts?
    . I thought so but I'm not totally sure. I think we need to get further testing. Her test results from the RAST came back today positive for peanuts AND eggs. Yay.
  • EmR22EmR22 member

imagestephaniejfree:
    Are avocados considered tree nuts?

No, they are not considered tree nuts.  It is more walnuts, almonds, cashews, chestnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, pistachio.  

My LO is allergic to cashews, pistachios, and walnuts. But there is a high rate of cross contamination among tree nuts so if you are allergic to one they tell you to avoid all of them. 

• I was crushed when DS2 was diagnosed with a peanut allergy a few months ago. Fortunately, he's only had minor reactions so far (i.e., itchy eyes), has a very low RAST number, and is OK with other tree nuts. It's been pretty easy for all of us to adjust to a peanut free life. The biggest inconvenience is making sure that an epi-pen (or two -- the maximum dosage) is always with us. I'm most concerned about the unknown as he grows older and more independent. The good news is that our kids will likely benefit from allergy desensitization treatment within the next 5 years!
  • imagetraveltheworld:

I've been researching non-stop to try and see what we can do to help him "out-grow" his allergies, but nothing has proven to work.

is anyone else giving the probiotics theory a try? I've heard some success stories (or coincidences) with giving them and my allergist encourages it, saying it can't hurt anything. I'm hoping it helps in the slightest bit. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD is allergic to peanuts. We avoid tree nuts. She seems fine with avocado. She loves guacamole and has never had a reaction.
    She is 2.5 now and first had her reaction around 22 mo.
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"