May 2013 Moms

Breast and bottle feeders....

I BF and supplement with formula, and at daycare LO gets pumped milk and formula. I'm still using the newborn flow AVENT nipples, and it takes forever for her to finish a bottle. I'm wondering if I should switch to the stage 2 slow flow nipples, but I worry it will be too different from the breast. For those of you who combo breast and bottles, what flow are you using? LO is 2 months old for those on mobile.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Breast and bottle feeders....

• kmcd23kmcd23 member
    We do some bottle fed breast milk every day, using the Medela Calma nipple. I'm amazed at how fast it is, for a nipple that's supposed to slow them down. LO usually nurses for 30-45 minutes, but he takes 3 ounces in just a few minutes with that nipple. 
    I'd like to go slower, but I'm afraid to introduce anything else. 
  • We use Medela slow flow nipples, and they seem to be working well. I think it's probably worth a try!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageclineak:
    We use Medela slow flow nipples, and they seem to be working well. I think it's probably worth a try!

We do this too and it seems to work well.

• imageclineak:
    We use Medela slow flow nipples, and they seem to be working well. I think it's probably worth a try!

We use the same. How many ounces do you give your LO at once? How quickly does your LO finish? We give our LO 4 or 5 ounces and she finishes in less than 10min! We burp every two ounces and after she burps, she screams until you give it back! I feel she's drinking too fast, but I'm not sure??
  • I was told a feeding was supposed to be around 20 minutes with a bottle. Much faster and the flow is too fast. Slower and flow is too slow. Baby will tend to snack more because they get tired of working to drink their bottle.

I just adjust accordingly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LC told me that the bottle should take 20 minutes so I have been using what I heard is the slowest flow possible, the Dr. Brown's premie nipple. It seems to be the perfect flow for him and he doesn't get overwhelmed at all. I'm not sure when to move up though, because I guess you would always want the flow to be as slow as the breast, whereas typically a baby would move up on nipple sizes as they get older if they were strictly bottle fed.
  • I've tried several nipples also trying to find a slow flow one. The cheapies from the hospital seem to work the best. The LC also recommended doing paced bottle feeding. There was an article on Kelly mom about it.
    IVF/ICSI #1 July/August 2011 BFP # 1 - B/G twins - preterm labor/cervical incompetency @ 23w3d FET # 1 March/April 2012 - BFN 5/1/12 FET # 2 July 2012 - BFN 7/24 FET # 3 BFP! EDD 5/15/13 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I do both breast and expressed milk in bottle. I have found the Medela slow nipples are too fast. I use the playtex wide bottles with slow nipples. The wide nipples are good for going between bottle and breast. Seems to be perfect speed and I like the angled bottle.

For those of you who say 20 min per bottle, how many ounces is that assuming?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Holy wow, we are going way too fast then. I had no idea it should take that long.
  • Yeah, I've heard that 20 minute bottle figure, but sometimes it takes her that long to finish a 1-2 oz. supplement let alone a 4-5 oz. feeding.  Maybe I'll ask daycare how long her full feelings take, cause she rarely gets one of those at home.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagekmcd23:
    We do some bottle fed breast milk every day, using the Medela Calma nipple. I'm amazed at how fast it is, for a nipple that's supposed to slow them down. LO usually nurses for 30-45 minutes, but he takes 3 ounces in just a few minutes with that nipple. 
    I'd like to go slower, but I'm afraid to introduce anything else. 

Whoa! That's really fast. We have the Dr. Brown's slow flow ones and it takes my LO 20-25 minutes to finish 3 oz. 

ETA: I just finished reading the rest of the comments and realized that mine was redundant. Sorry! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageShoecrazysarah:
    I do both breast and expressed milk in bottle. I have found the Medela slow nipples are too fast. I use the playtex wide bottles with slow nipples. The wide nipples are good for going between bottle and breast. Seems to be perfect speed and I like the angled bottle.

For those of you who say 20 min per bottle, how many ounces is that assuming?

It's whatever their normal feeding is. They will become more efficient as they go. More ounces, faster nipple, same amount of time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"