January 2013 Moms

Waited or no?

How many of you mamas waited for your pedi's official approval to start solids?

R's pedi said it was up to me, we can wait to discuss on her next apt where she will be 6 and a half months or not. We have been dabbling in oatmeal but ever since I started giving her Earth's Best organic oatmeal, she is gobbling it down like nothing! I am thinking I want to try banana or peas with her next. (avocado is a no go, I'm allergic). I bought a jar of EB's peas and I would make my own puree of banana.

But should I wait until her apt to try one or just go for it? 

image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Waited or no?

• I waited because i was curious what the pedi would say but that appt was at 5.5 mo. She said if baby was ready, go for it. Just gave the normal " don't give allergenic foods yet" spiel.
  • ==N====N==
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    She told me at her 2 week appt that we could start at 4 months. We waited until 6 though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • As long as your comfortable with it I'd say go for it. you know your baby better than thee doc
    2013-01-22 15.31.11

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our pedi told us to start between 5-6 months and we've waited for him to be 6 months.  I think he wanted to know how he was doing with solids because we don't see him again after the 6 month visit until 9 months.  Oh well,  

But, if she has been doing well on oatmeal then why not just start? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Our pedi told us to start by 6 mos so I wanted to try before our 6 mo visit, which is next week. DS will be 6 mos on the 8th. We tried sweet potatoes mixed with BM yesterday and it didn't go so great. I think I'll try oatmeal cereal with him tomorrow morning.

I'm not positive he's ready though. He wasnt really moving the food to the back of his mouth, and he's not sitting up I had him in his bouncy seat. Ill keep trying anyway, but we will take it slow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My pedi briefly mentioned that solids could be started at 4 months but it was better to wait until 6 at his 2 month check up. I agreed so we didn't discuss it at his 4 month appointment.

At 5.5 months I felt he was ready to try solids so we just went for it! I make him his oatmeal cereal and he's had banana three times and avocado once. I offer a tablespoon or two when we eat dinner. Some days he's into it some days he isn't. At this point I don't care if he eats a lot. I'll start actually making food like sweet potato, peas, etc after he's 6 months on the 15th and he sees his pedi again on the 23rd so I'll let her know what we've been doing then.
    OaD July Siggy Challenge: DS on the 4th (2013, 2014)
    imageimage

• We actually just started with sweet potatoes today!  We just got home from vacation, which is why we didn't start right at 6 months.  Our ped recommended sweet potatoes as a first - said all babies seem to like them!  She absolutely loved them (picture below).

DD is really small (just hit 14lbs) and has reflux, which is in indication of immature digestive system, and was born a couple of weeks early so I felt that we should wait until 6 months in her case.  I think it has to be a case by case decision based on your baby's growth and readiness.

Didn't you just have a birthday this week?  I seem to remember we were birthday buds :)  Hope it was a good one! 

image  image  image

• I say go ahead if you think she's ready,
    We have introduced rice cereal and avocado mixed with bm. Our pedi said to wait if we wanted or go ahead and start if we wanted. I don't think my DS is too into the cereal so I'm thinking about trying the oatmeal once we do more fruits and mixing a little bit in with his fruit. He will be 6 months on July 12th. Time flies!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • We waited. I really like and trust our Dr's opinion so for us we wanted to talk it over with her first. We actually had F's 6 month appointment today and after we got all our information we came home and fed our DS mashed banana. He isn't quite 6 months, but after feeding him I am reassured that he was definatly ready. I think if you feel your LO is ready and you feel like you have all the information you want, then go for it!
  • We started here and there about halfway through 5 months he doesn't care for them most days but he really likes carrots and pears the most. Now that he's 6 months and crawling a bit I've introduced some BLW a bit and he's done much better with that. We will keep experimenting but that's all it is for the next 6 months
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We told our pedi at 4 months we wanted to wait until 6 and skip rice cereal... He respected out decision and said the American pediatric association agreed with us.. But his personal views were different and we could do as we choose and he would guide is either way... That being said DH pushed to start at 5 months and we did.. I'm not sure dd was ready with her tongue thrust but it def didnt hurt her! We did about 9 foods so far.. 4 days each food and she's dont great with all... Peas were her fav! She is 6 months today and she doesn't have her 6 month appointment until 7/19 so she will be about 12 food tried and we also plan to intro oatmeal! We have done butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots , peas, peaches, pears , apples, green beans ... We have mango left as well!

• DD loves the EB Oatmeal too!! We started rice cereal at 5 1/2 months but it didn't go well. It hurt her belly. So I waited 2 or 3 days and started the oatmeal. Which was a big hit. all my pedi said was try veggies first because  they'll favor the sweetness of fruit. I havent been to steady with foods other then oatmeal.I was waiting for a tooth. Someone once told me teeth are a sign that the babys belly is ready for food.

So im waiting to really start other solids rather then cereal till we see a tooth.  

• Pedi said we could start cereal  at 5 months if we were ready. So we started the cereal and she did really well with it, I started her on sweet potatoes a few days ago and she likes those too. She is 6 months tomorrow and our appt is on Tues so I will talk to the pedi then for more info about how often and how much, etc. 
  • I gave DD avocado when she was like 5.5 months old. I felt like she was ready for a taste [I mean, I probably gave her 1/4 teaspoon the first day] and just started after that. DD doesn't get much and there are zero food allergies in either of our families so I've just been looking at this website

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

for guidance. Our pedi said 6 months was a great time to start so I didn't really hesitate once she was close to 6 months to try. She's had 4 different foods and gets about 2 ounces of puree a day. 

• image KKlovesJOC070304:
    DD loves the EB Oatmeal too!! We started rice cereal at 5 1/2 months but it didn't go well. It hurt her belly. So I waited 2 or 3 days and started the oatmeal. Which was a big hit. all my pedi said was try veggies first because nbsp;they'll favor the sweetness of fruit. I havent been to steady with foods other then oatmeal.I was waiting for a tooth. Someone once told me teeth are a sign that the babys belly is ready for food.So im waiting to really start other solids rather then cereal till we see a tooth. nbsp;

Well some kids don't get teeth until after a year old, I was one of them. So I think that logic is flawed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image jessalared:
    image KKlovesJOC070304:
    DD loves the EB Oatmeal too!! We started rice cereal at 5 1/2 months but it didn't go well. It hurt her belly. So I waited 2 or 3 days and started the oatmeal. Which was a big hit. all my pedi said was try veggies first because nbsp;they'll favor the sweetness of fruit. I havent been to steady with foods other then oatmeal.I was waiting for a tooth. Someone once told me teeth are a sign that the babys belly is ready for food.So im waiting to really start other solids rather then cereal till we see a tooth. nbsp;

Well some kids don't get teeth until after a year old, I was one of them. So I think that logic is flawed.

Yeah that's pretty crazy.

And you don't need to pure banana

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • If you think your baby is ready and understand the recommendations then go with what you feel is best.  You're going to know what's right better than the doctor on this topic.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Our pedi said we could start at his 4 mo appointment, but I waited until 5mo (though I did try about once a week to see if he was ready). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image TarHeelMomToBe:
    We actuallynbsp;just started with sweet potatoes today!nbsp; We just got home from vacation, which is why we didn't start right at 6 months.nbsp; Our pednbsp;recommended sweet potatoes as a first said all babies seem to like them!nbsp; She absolutely loved them picture below.DD is reallynbsp;small just hit 14lbs and has reflux, which is in indication of immature digestive system, and was bornnbsp;a couple of weeks early so I felt that we should wait until 6 monthsnbsp;in her case.nbsp; I think it has to be a case by case decision based on your baby's growth and readiness.Didn't you just have a birthday this week?nbsp; I seem to remember we were birthday budsnbsp;:nbsp; Hope it was a good one!nbsp; image

great pic!!

Yeah, it was last mon, the 1st, thanks for remembering! And the same to you, except I can't remember exactly what day yours was, my apologies!

This all sounds good, I have a feeling if I wait the pedi will go whyd you do that?! Ha.

I think we will just start with a very small amount of peas or sweet potato, now that I still cannot decide which one yet, but I think I will wait til next weekend because something about giving her those and being afraid of her getting a reaction when I have to go to work all week does not sound appealing lol
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • image jessalared:
    image KKlovesJOC070304:

DD1 got her first tooth right around a year. I did not wait on solids.

• At our 4 month appt we were told we could start at 5 months... our pedi said we didn't need to start with cereal and the only reason for cereal was for the iron... but that we would have to find an alternative for iron intake... We started the day DD turned 5 months, she looooooooves all her food and has had no reactions to them.

I too love the www.wholesomebabyfood.momtasic.com website tons of insight and different ways to make purees and other stages of your childs food intake :)

• Eh, my DD was born with a tooth so that tooth logic would be a fail on or end... : that being said, we started with oatmeal at 5.5 months. Our ped suggested we try earlier since she was still nursing really often but I didn't feel she was ready at the time. She has tried oatmeal, banana, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears and apples and can take or leave any of them. I doubt she has even ingested much of any of them so starting earlier would have been even more pointless.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor told me at her 5 month appt that he wanted her eating solids including meat by 6 months. We started the next day and she is now eating fruit, veggies and meat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ta78ta78
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its
    We were given the ok at 4 months to start cereal and have given her some other stuff the last couple weeks, but not on any schedule.

I think your pedi can give you their suggestions and information of why to wait until 6 months, but if you feel she is ready then you know best. All babies are different. Plus I don't think a couple weeks now will make much difference.

Quinton  06.25.10
    Wren  01.13.11

photo qw_zpsd8c3bb1b.jpg

.blog.
  • If you wanna be certain that your baby eats enough and healthy you should use this: http://earlystart.me  Request an invite and they?ll give you instant access to the app by e-mail. It helped me a lot during the first months after introducing solids, it tells you exactly the amounts that your baby has to eat (milk+solids). Maybe it gives you some inspiration!

• If you think she is ready, go for it. You can always back off or stop if she's not into it.

I started my DD at 4 months and she wasn't ready, really...it was just the excitement of feeding her for the first time. With my DS, I was thinking I wouldn't even bother starting until 6 months, since my DD didn't care for cereal. Well, he was definitely ready at 4 months! He's been wolfing down oatmeal like it's going out of style so we are starting sweet potatoes this week as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Brendamndz:

How many of you mamas waited for your pedi's official approval to start solids?

R's pedi said it was up to me, we can wait to discuss on her next apt where she will be 6 and a half months or not. We have been dabbling in oatmeal but ever since I started giving her Earth's Best organic oatmeal, she is gobbling it down like nothing! I am thinking I want to try banana or peas with her next. (avocado is a no go, I'm allergic). I bought a jar of EB's peas and I would make my own puree of banana.

But should I wait until her apt to try one or just go for it? 

Me pedi. said she would recommend waiting til 6 mo. but I could start sooner if I wanted, I waited 5.5 months and he did awesome the first 2 weeks and then he started closing his mouth when I tried, so I backed off. 2 days ago, I tried mashed up bananas and he loved it!

He was giving me all the signs - interested in us eating, moving his mouth like he's chewing, etc. and that's why we started when we did. He did really well at first too - barely got any outside of his mouth, swallowed most of it, but then he just didn't want any for a few days so I don't know. We will keep trying bananas and other things, maybe he just got sick of it?? (We started with butternut squash & tried peaches too).