May 2013 Moms

Feeding intervals

I want DS to eat every 3 hours instead of 1.5 to 2 hours but when he goes that long during the day, it makes me nervous.

Clearly there is no pleasing me.

Re: Feeding intervals

• LN1024LN1024
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its

image MermaidNM:
    I want DS to eat every 3 hours instead of 1.5 to 2 hours but when he goes that long during the day, it makes me nervous. Clearly there is no pleasing me.

I'm confused... why does that make you nervous? 

• I BF on demand, and follow EASY, so feeding him on waking, except for the last feed of the day right before bed.  He goes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours between feeds during the day.

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • image Ceefome:

I BF on demand, and follow EASY, so feeding him on waking, except for the last feed of the day right before bed.  He goes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours between feeds during the day.

What is EASY?

"A little proofreading goes along weigh." - Me, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes I EBF. We do EASY eat activity sleep you. It is just that a 3 plus hour stretch is rare. Plus he had a mediocre weigh in last week. Plus I worry he is sleeping too much during the day and wont sleep at night. I know it doesn't make sense. It is my one big crazy mommy thing.

• image MermaidNM:
    Yes I EBF. We do EASY eat activity sleep you. It is just that a 3 plus hour stretch is rare. Plus he had a mediocre weigh in last week. Plus I worry he is sleeping too much during the day and wont sleep at night. I know it doesn't make sense. It is my one big crazy mommy thing.

Totally understand the whole sleeping too much during the day might lead to partying all night worry. I also worry that my supply will instantly drop if DS goes more than 3hrs without eating during the day.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - Shocked to get a BFP first postpartum cycle  
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC # 3 June 2014
  • I honestly have no idea how long LO goes between feedings really. I don't clock it. I just feed when he seems fussy. If we're home it could be every hour to two hrs. When were out it seems like he goes much longer. I only know at night because I look at the clock. I'm sure every 3 hrs is fine. He's probably taking in more each feeding now
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image NJAZgirl:
    I honestly have no idea how long LO goes between feedings really. I don't clock it. I just feed when he seems fussy. If we're home it could be every hour to two hrs. When were out it seems like he goes much longer. I only know at night because I look at the clock. I'm sure every 3 hrs is fine. He's probably taking in more each feeding now

This is us. I don't look at the time during the day but check it at night. He generally goes at least 3 hours between feedings. Longer at night. I feed on demand to but at night I guess we have a small routine before what I say is his last feeding. During the day if he falls asleep eating I lay him down, if he is still awake I let him lay on the floor, or the swing. I don't force him to stay awake or try really hard.

I haven't had any issues with night time sleeping. No matter how much or how little he sleeps during the day he always sleeps during the night except to eat and he has done that since day one. In the evening I just keep the lights off or really low so he knows its sleepy time during the day it's bright and loud in our house, he still sleeps.

• image MermaidNM:
    Yes I EBF. We do EASY eat activity sleep you. It is just that a 3 plus hour stretch is rare. Plus he had a mediocre weigh in last week. Plus I worry he is sleeping too much during the day and wont sleep at night. I know it doesn't make sense. It is my one big crazy mommy thing.

I think that the fact that there is a mediocre weigh in would make me just BF whenever. I was like that with DD. As much as I wanted to stretch out her BFing, it just didn't outweighed the need for her to gain more weight. BFing whenever she needed trumped everything else. I hope it levels out for you soon. BFing every 1.5 hours can be taxing mentally! 

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image MermaidNM:

I'm on mobile, so I can't see how old your LO is, but if you're worried about weight, have you seen a LC to make sure everything is going right? My DS had mediocre weight gain and we had some other BF issues and it turns out he was tongue tied. I didn't find out until he was 5 weeks old.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • image Ceefome:
    image MermaidNM:

I'm on mobile, so I can't see how old your LO is, but if you're worried about weight, have you seen a LC to make sure everything is going right? My DS had mediocre weight gain and we had some other BF issues and it turns out he was tongue tied. I didn't find out until he was 5 weeks old.

We have seen an LC. We have definitely had our issues, including a tongue tie at 1 week. He is gaining weight, healthy and happy, but he dropped a few percentage points. My daughter has weight issues, so it just makes me nervous.