Blended Families

Mom puts kid up for adoption on Craigslist

I stumbled across this article on the web.

We've had more than a few "tried to sell the kid on Craigslist" stories floating around the Internet in recent years. Way too many, if you ask me. But there's something about the latest mom charged with trying to adopt out her 3yearold son via a Craigslist ad that's a bit unusual.

The mom, Stephanie Redus, doesn't sound like your typical jerk mom who would use Craigslist to offload a kid because she doesn't care. I can't get truly enraged at her. If anything, I read the Texas mom's story and I felt ... pity.

The pangs of sympathy don't excuse what she's accused of doing. You just don't put your kid up for adoption on Craigslist, people. Who knows what kind of sicko is out there, just waiting to pounce?

That said, read what Redus' allegedly posted online:

Hi, Im trying to adopt out my three year old son. Im not in a good place in my life and dont feel like I can care for him properly, but I dont know where to start. If you or know anyone who is interested in caring for him please let me know. Im a single mom and cant do this. Thanks, Desperate.

Does that sound like a mom trying to make a quick buck? A mom who really doesn't give two craps about her kid? Notice she repeats the words "care or caring for him" twice in there.

Call me a sucker, but Redus sounds ... like a fairly good mom.

Hey, I said fairly. She is charged with trying to arrange a Craigslist adoption.

But I should probably also tell you that Redus is pregnant.

Does that make you feel more sympathetic?

Me too.

It's HARD out there for parents who are feeling overwhelmed. There are "safe haven" laws, but in most places, they don't extend much past a baby's birth. Even finding a good babysitter to watch your kid for a few hours so you can get a handle on things is tough in this economy. As a recent report shows, the price of childcare has DOUBLED in the past 25 years.

Parents struggling with toddlers or older kids either have supportive family and friends to help out or ... what? Who will come to their aid when they're swimming as hard as they can and feeling like the undertow keeps pulling them in?

If we really want to put an end to the "kid being sold on Craigslist stories," maybe we need to look at why they keep happening.

So yes, we punish these parents who turn to Craigslist ... and we do something about the total lack of resources for struggling single parents out there.

That is how we make society better.

Do you feel sympathetic for this mom's plight? What do you think should be done with her?

Of course, I don't feel sympathetic to her. As desperate as she was, was there are safe ways for her to arrange care for her child. They might involve her giving the child up forever now, but her Craigslist ad seems ok with that. And was she trying to give up the child was carrying as well?

What makes me feel the most sick is that the author of the article writes for a mommy site and is sympathetic with this woman. If she had tried legitimate ways of surrendering her child and was being punished, I would feel for her. But not this.

Re: Mom puts kid up for adoption on Craigslist

• There are MANY resources out there. Free child care, food, help with education for the mom, transportation so I think that's a load of BS.

If she's having problems being a single parent NOW, why did she put herself into a situation that she's pregnant again? Again tons of resources out there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This is stupid.  There are many options for a mother other than Craigslist.  Waco has a nice children's home that will take the child and do a hell of a lot better job than her or someone off of Craigslist. Pedophiles were calling her I am sure. 

My ex's youngest brother was a toddler when he was "dumped" at the childrens' home by their mom.  He got a wonderful foster home and is doing really well. Still a little screwed up from his real family's past and BS, but for the most part, a smart and happier than his other brothers.

People like this should not be allowed to re-produce.  

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • OP I can't tell if you're sympathizing with this mom or condemning her.

Personally, there's no excuse for this behavior in my book. In this country, if you can't afford something, you don't have to pay for it. Can't feed your kids? You'll be given food stamps. Can't pay back a student loan? Just defer it. Want your kid to play high school football but can't afford it? They'll let it slide and he'll play. Those who can pay for it, do, and those who can't, get breaks. There's too many resources for child care for this Craigslist bs to be acceptable.
  • image MrsHetzel:
    OP I can't tell if you're sympathizing with this mom or condemning her.

Personally, there's no excuse for this behavior in my book. In this country, if you can't afford something, you don't have to pay for it. Can't feed your kids? You'll be given food stamps. Can't pay back a student loan? Just defer it. Want your kid to play high school football but can't afford it? They'll let it slide and he'll play. Those who can pay for it, do, and those who can't, get breaks. There's too many resources for child care for this Craigslist bs to be acceptable.

I said 'Of course, I don't feel sympathetic to her.'

No way could ever sympathize with someone who did this. As you said, in this country, there are way to many options for people to make sure their child gets the care they need.

Granted, from experience, it's not as simple as you make it sound, MrsHetzel, but overall, you've got the right idea.
  • Ambrvan maybe you can edit the original post and put some more returns to seperate the original authors ideas from yours. I figured it out but it really did seem at first like it was your thoughts and not a quote.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Can't, Littlejen. I see how it looks, too, and yikes. But I have no internet at home, and I only mobile Bump. No edit option from my phone. I can't even properly quoatation anything or use hyphens or certain other symbols. I tried putting more returns in, but my phone would not allow me to view what I typed after more returns than what I put.

I just hope everyone here knows me well enough to know how I would feel about this and not misread my post.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards