Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Volunteering with your kids

Ilumine's response to my question below got me thinking. What are good volunteer activities that you can do with your preschooler? I would like them to grow up knowing that the world is bigger than them and would love to start a lifestyle early on of volunteering with others in need. But I'm not sure where to begin. I did a lot of volunteering pre-kids but unfortunately haven't since. Trying to figure out what opportunities are out there that would teach them service but that would be acceptable for their age-group. I checked out a children's shelter a while ago, but they didn't allow kids under 10. Any ideas where to start?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Volunteering with your kids

• Options

Meals on wheels.  We take goodies for the animeals program (needy families with pets get food from the humane society) to the humane society and then they spend a few minutes with the cats to get them used to kids.  FOr their birthday, they collect donations for their cause of choice.  They pick up litter for stars (when they get to 500 pieces, we do something special.  They get a point for random acts of kindness.  When they hit 500, I write a check to their cause of choice- lately it's been the rescues we've got our pets from, but near the holidays, we nudge toward toys for tots and other similar causes.

I want to do some time in a local nursing home.  When my grandfather was dying, we went to his nursing home a lot and the residents LIT UP when they saw the kids.  I am thinking about getting some families together for a weekly Candyland game day at the nursing home.

There is so much,,, your community newsletter may give some input on volunteer opportunities.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

There is a lot out there to do.

1) animal shelters

2) medical missions - my aunt is a ruse who does immunization mission trips every year. We collected used stuffed animals (small) for my Aunt to give to the kids after they got their shots. Aunt M had another nurse take tons of pictures and we showed the kids who gave up their stuffed animals the pictures of the children. The looks on their faces...

3) Another of my aunts does foster care. The emergency foster families are always looking for donations, especially the fun stuff.

4) nursing homes

5) contact the local churches. They all have different outreach programs. Our church has a group that does basic gardening for people with short term needs. So you could always take them weeding.

I swear there is an online org that matches people with volunteer opportunities.

Again, I'm not preachy. I'm just really bad at doing it myself. So I try to set myself up to HAVE to do something, but not on a regular basis.  So when I can't get any more change in the small jar, we HAVE to buy the treats and go see the puppies.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    The food bank near us lets kids volunteer. My DD could put cans or groceries in a box and have a blast doing it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I do meals on wheels with 2 kids- 2x a week.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

you can also collect toiletries/samples for homeless shelters- they greatly appreciate it.

you can donate used children's books to less privileged school districts

have you kids participate in a canned food collection

Also another good one with children- 'adopt a solider' and have them draw pictures/send letters and care packages. (both of my kids' enjoy that)

Bake cookies and bring them to a fire station

have them participate in a local park 'clean up' day- or make your own.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"