April 2013 Moms

Wiping babies mouths

DS is a "happy spitter" so naturally whenever my mom comes over, he spits up. Everytime he does, my mom tells me I should be giving him a wet face cloth to help him rinse out his mouth so he doesn't have to taste puke. I've never heard of doing this. Is this a thing??
TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: Wiping babies mouths

• NandaBNandaB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Haha I always say she has yuck mouth, but it doesn't seem to bother her. It won't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

Eta: is not like when we puke, and it's often right after they eat, so it probably tastes like milk still anyway
    G: 5/8/11
    N: 4/8/13
    having a baby on Christmas!

*suck it bump - siggies are hard
  • I wipe his face but not inside his mouth..
    CafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image JanessLynn:
    I wipe his face but not inside his mouth..

exactly, thats what I do too. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • image JanessLynn:
    I wipe his face but not inside his mouth..

Same here! 

-K

• My MIL wiped out my son's mouth with  a wash cloth.  I didn't have to tell her not to do it again - he screamed bloody murder for about 20 minutes after.  I think it's a generational thing.  I've only ever heard my MIL plus my husband's aunt say to do that.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My dentist told me to make sure I wipe baby's gums at least once a day. I just wash my hands and dry them with a paper towel and wipe her gums with the damp paper towel. She was so not happy about it the first 4 or 5 times, but now she will even open her mouth almost like she is helping me.. then she chews on my finger lol.
    Anyways, I wouldn't bother every time they spit up, I only do this once a day, just before bedtime. It is one of a couple of cues for her that it is time for sleep.
    At this age, and with no teeth, it isn't totally necessary. It is mainly so parents get in the habit of good oral hygiene for LOs and so that when their teeth come in, babies don't have the pain of teething along with "WTF are you doing in my mouth???" :P
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I wipe her mouth out and give her a syringe of warm water. It smells and I wouldn't want to taste it.
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker