June 2012 Moms

Brushing Teeth Tips?

DS suddenly hates it when I brush his teeth now. I have tried new toothbrushes and a new paste. He fights me tooth and nail. I know he's cutting a couple of teeth, but I would think that brushing would feel good since he's gnawing on anything else he can get hold of. Any tips on what to try to make this easier?

Re: Brushing Teeth Tips?

• Just have one available for him to chew on all the time. Also, try freezing a wet wash cloth with a bit of toothpaste in it and see if you can use that or get him to knaw on it.
  • We also just use water and let her play with it when we are done. I also make a really big deal and clap and cheer and tell her she is such a big girl when we are done. She LOVES it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We do it in front of her & hand her her own tooth brush. She'll do it right along with us! May not be the most effective way to "clean" her teeth, but it gets the job done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO was fighting me too until my husband shows me that he holds her or stands her up on the sink to brush her teeth.  I was doing it laying down while on her changing pad.  I do it standing now and sing to her.  Total difference!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MAM makes a brush teether. It's called Bite & Brush. They sell it at Target. DS seems to like it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • This is my DS as well...he clamps his mouth tightly when he sees the brush...I even tried singing and watching teeth brushing videos with Elmo...no luck!
  • DD usually lets me brush her teeth, but sometimes I have to let her clean my teeth while I clean hers...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We just prep DD's tooth brush (minus toothpaste) at the same time as we prep ours and then as a family brush our teeth while DH or I hold her. She use to just chews on the toothbrush, but now has started to try to brush like we do. I just want to get the habit established so I am not overly worried about effectiveness right now. 

During her last teething episode, she didn't want to brush at all. She would just throw the toothbrush. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think teething was a big part of our problem. He now tolerates a brush now and then. I gave him a big toothbrush to play with, and he'll chew on that from time to time. For regular brushing, I use the finger brush again, and he seems to like that for a little bit. I can at least brush either the top or the bottom before he clamps his trap shut again.

• Before I start brushing his teeth, I tell DS to say "aaahhh." He opens his mouth and makes the sound too. He does it the whole time I brush his teeth.

Maybe your DS would like making the sound. Worth a shot!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Before I start brushing his teeth, I tell DS to say "aaahhh." He opens his mouth and makes the sound too. He does it the whole time I brush his teeth. Maybe your DS would like making the sound. Worth a shot!
    we do that too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I pretend to brush my teeth with her brush and make silly sound effects and act goofy (what a sight!). Than I ask her to do the same. I let her hold the brush for a little and then I try to take over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"