June 2013 Moms

Left eye

Ellie's left eye is still swollen at all times and crusty and goopy. Anyone else have a one month old that still has a bad eye? Should I call the pedi? We have an appt already on the eighth.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Left eye

• Sounds like a clogged tear duct. There isn't anything the pedi can do unless it gets infected if the discharge is lime green and/or the eye is red. It should clear up by a year old.

In the meantime, with gentle pressure use your pinky and push in the corner of the eye and down the shaft of the nose multiple times a day to unclog the duct. And make sure you clean the gunk with a clean, warm, wet washcloth wiping from the inside of the eye to the outside.

tumblr_muvrvfeQO51s65ftjo1_500
                                                                   Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
    "Drink up, drink away, pour one out for your homies. It's not like anyone here needs my validation or approval to do what they want." - HelgaFunk
  • Thank you. I just feel bad for her. I hope it doesn't hurt.
  • My DS had it until about 6 months and it only seemed to really bother him when it would get infected thank you daycare...

Didn't make for good pictues either, he always had a wonky eye

tumblr_muvrvfeQO51s65ftjo1_500
                                                                   Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
    "Drink up, drink away, pour one out for your homies. It's not like anyone here needs my validation or approval to do what they want." - HelgaFunk
  • image willman2585:
    Sounds like a clogged tear duct. There isn't anything the pedi can do unless it gets infected if the discharge is lime green and/or the eye is red. It should clear up by a year old. In the meantime, with gentle pressure use your pinky and push in the corner of the eye and down the shaft of the nose multiple times a day to unclog the duct. And make sure you clean the gunk with a clean, warm, wet washcloth wiping from the inside of the eye to the outside.

This, and my pedi said you can use breast milk to clean it too because it's sterile!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Untitled
  • image willman2585:
    Sounds like a clogged tear duct. There isn't anything the pedi can do unless it gets infected if the discharge is lime green and/or the eye is red. It should clear up by a year old.

In the meantime, with gentle pressure use your pinky and push in the corner of the eye and down the shaft of the nose multiple times a day to unclog the duct. And make sure you clean the gunk with a clean, warm, wet washcloth wiping from the inside of the eye to the outside.

This. We are dealing with the same thing.

• Yes my two week baby girl had this and i read that if your breast feeding a drop of milk on both eyes would help that , and i tried that and it worked amazing because your breastmilk had antibodies that help. it took like three to four days to go away, and do it about three times a day. i was a little iffy at first but it worked for me and i didnt have to take her to the doctor as i was planning too. Goodluck!
  • I put breast milk in a couple times, but I'm going to try a few times a day for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards