Stay at Home Moms

UO Today?

Since tomorrow is a holiday, shall we do it today? Go!
Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!

Re: UO Today?

• I judge people who don't care for their lawn. No excuses. For someone to suggest letting a lawn die? That people don't care? I disagree.
  • DochasDochas
    Tenth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 100 Love Its

image I Heart The 80s:
    I judge people who don't care for their lawn. No excuses. For someone to suggest letting a lawn die? That people don't care? I disagree.

Define "care for". LOL.  We don't have the money to pay someone to redo our lawn.  To be done right I have to start over from scratch.  And we don't have the time (or money) to do it ourselves.  We water and cut, we edge.  We remove anything growing between the cracks of the sidewalk.  But it is definitely more weeds than true grass. I'm working on the backyard section by section.  But the front is just going to have to wait. (corner property)

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would also assume if they didn't take care of the outward appearance, that important indoor stuff was neglected.
  • By "care for" I mean just that. Water, cut, weed.
  • DochasDochas
    I find negative people to be very draining. I know 2 Moms and when I picture them in my mind I just seem them standing over a cauldron stirring.  I don't think people need to sweep all of their problems under the rug, but does everything in your life need to be a problem? If you don't ever have anything nice to say, ever - just stay home. 
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Dochas:
    I find negative people to be very draining. I know 2 Moms and when I picture them in my mind I just seem them standing over a cauldron stirring.nbsp; I don't think people need to sweep all of their problems under the rug, but does everything in your life need to be a problem? If you don't ever have anything nice to say, ever just stay home.nbsp;

Ugh! I agree. I have a friend who always has something to complain about. I find it especially annoying when she complains about the same issue over and over but does nothing about it. I have to be extra positive when we hang out to keep the dark clouds out.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image Hav=Fath:
    Yesterday when I went out of town shopping I saw 3 panhandlers. I give money to them frequently so I'm not against them in any way, but out of the 3 I saw 2 of them were reading books. Like totally engrossed in their book, not paying attention to the cars or people around them. I'm sure you get bored, but I just feel like if you're begging for money you should act like you care? The 3rd person had his small daughter with him in the median on a busy road... I'm sorry this shouldn't be allowed, should it?nbsp;

I don't ever give money to panhandlers. I worked in the court building and we had a lot of folks standing outside. A lot were regulars. I'd bring them food, coffee, bottles of water during the summer. But I'd never give money. Maybe I'm jaded but how do you know they won't buy booze or drugs with that money? Sure, their sign says they're poor and hungry but you never know.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    Our front lawn looks like crap right now. Our LL doesn't seem to understand that the whole north facing full shade thing is like the kiss of death for grass, and water restrictions aren't helping. The last person who lived here told us she had to put new sod down every 2 years because it just dies. I really don't want to pay for new sod...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DochasDochas

image Mrs.Greg:
    image Dochas:
    I find negative people to be very draining. I know 2 Moms and when I picture them in my mind I just seem them standing over a cauldron stirring.nbsp; I don't think people need to sweep all of their problems under the rug, but does everything in your life need to be a problem? If you don't ever have anything nice to say, ever just stay home.nbsp;
    Ugh! I agree. I have a friend who always has something to complain about. I find it especially annoying when she complains about the same issue over and over but does nothing about it. I have to be extra positive when we hang out to keep the dark clouds out.

My sister can be like that.  Once we've covered the bad stuff - for the 100th time - tell me something good!  I know good things are happening, let me hear them! lol.  These 2 Moms I've really pulled back from.  We were at a freaking sprayground on a nice day and they were both sitting there with pusses on their faces with one complaint after another.  We're in the shade, the kids are being adorable can you not enjoy yourself for an hour?  And I'm not talking about a bad day here and there.  It's every time.  

• I don't understand the appeal of traveling with young kids. I think I'm full of dread over our impending vacation moreso than excited. i'm sure this will change when my kids are around five or so but for right now I don't find much enjoyment in traveling at all. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Hav=Fath:

image Mrs.Greg:
    image Hav=Fath:
    Yesterday when I went out of town shopping I saw 3 panhandlers. I give money to them frequently so I'm not against them in any way, but out of the 3 I saw 2 of them were reading books. Like totally engrossed in their book, not paying attention to the cars or people around them. I'm sure you get bored, but I just feel like if you're begging for money you should act like you care? The 3rd person had his small daughter with him in the median on a busy road... I'm sorry this shouldn't be allowed, should it?nbsp;
    I don't ever give money to panhandlers. I worked in the court building and we had a lot of folks standing outside. A lot were regulars. I'd bring them food, coffee, bottles of water during the summer. But I'd never give money. Maybe I'm jaded but how do you know they won't buy booze or drugs with that money? Sure, their sign says they're poor and hungry but you never know.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I don't really care what they do with the $5 I give them. I just can't help but feel like they've likely led a hard life if they're sitting on the street and begging for money, regardless if that's a rough life by their choice (likely the case) or circumstances out of their control, $5 is nothing to me. If I can get them a pack of cigarettes or a drink, meh, let them have it. It would be totally different if $5 was a stress on me to give away, it's not. 

There is this one lady that's old & gray headed and I often see her propped up on the ground at this same stop light when we're out of town shopping. She literally can't hardly get up because she is jerking and shaking so hard, I once missed the green light waiting for her to get up. Who knows, maybe it's that bad because of a life of drug or alcohol abuse, but good gracious, to have an extra $5 and not give it to her isn't something I could do. Now if she's there I just hop out and take it to her.

I am right there with you.  If I had to beg for money for booze, my life would obviously suck.  The money is no skin off my back -- just take it. 

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • Watering your lawn is a waste of water and is why reservoirs can't keep up through the summer. I would love to see restrictions on that.

Oh, and people need to look into the right grass for their area. FIL spent a ton of money on zoysia grass and it's always brown and dead. I have a feeling it worked well in Louisville, which is where he grew up, but it looks awful in NJ despite him taking care of it. 

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KC_13:
    I don't understand the appeal of traveling with young kids. I think I'm full of dread over our impending vacation moreso than excited. i'm sure this will change when my kids are around five or so but for right now I don't find much enjoyment in traveling at all. 

I 100% agree.  Maybe its my kids, but I can't imagine taking them to art musuems or for truly fantastic non-kid dining.  Infants sure, but I just can't imagine with them at this age.  I could get away with maybe a day of it, but at some point I know with my kids I would just be setting them up to fail. Sure there are parks and playgrounds everywhere, but that's not what I have in mind for vacation.

So Disney and the shore it is until toddler years are behind us. 

• image Hav=Fath:

image Mrs.Greg:
    image Hav=Fath:

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I don't really care what they do with the $5 I give them. I just can't help but feel like they've likely led a hard life if they're sitting on the street and begging for money, regardless if that's a rough life by their choice (likely the case) or circumstances out of their control, $5 is nothing to me. If I can get them a pack of cigarettes or a drink, meh, let them have it. It would be totally different if $5 was a stress on me to give away, it's not. 

There is this one lady that's old & gray headed and I often see her propped up on the ground at this same stop light when we're out of town shopping. She literally can't hardly get up because she is jerking and shaking so hard, I once missed the green light waiting for her to get up. Who knows, maybe it's that bad because of a life of drug or alcohol abuse, but good gracious, to have an extra $5 and not give it to her isn't something I could do. Now if she's there I just hop out and take it to her.

I'd bring them something at least once a week. Pretty much whenever I'd go out to get a cup of coffee or lunch, I'd bring an extra coffee and a scone or a turkey sandwich and water for someone. Sure, it's not expensive and I do it because I want to. But still. Food and a beverage seems better to me than the possibility drugs and booze. A lot of these people dig through the trash outside looking for food. That's just so sad to me.
  • image penguingrrl:
    Watering your lawn is a waste of water and is why reservoirs can't keep up through the summer. I would love to see restrictions on that.Oh, and people need to look into the right grass for their area. FIL spent a ton of money on zoysia grass and it's always brown and dead. I have a feeling it worked well in Louisville, which is where he grew up, but it looks awful in NJ despite him taking care of it.nbsp;
    We have water restrictions and follow them. What we don't have is money to resod every year. If we don't water grass dies.
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • image KC_13:
    I don't understand the appeal of traveling with young kids. I think I'm full of dread over our impending vacation moreso than excited. i'm sure this will change when my kids are around five or so but for right now I don't find much enjoyment in traveling at all.nbsp;

Omg... Totally agree. We traveled last summer, and it was hard. DD had a blast, but the twins??? Would have been just as happy with a water table in the back.
  • image Andrewsgal:
    image penguingrrl:
    Watering your lawn is a waste of water and is why reservoirs can't keep up through the summer. I would love to see restrictions on that.Oh, and people need to look into the right grass for their area. FIL spent a ton of money on zoysia grass and it's always brown and dead. I have a feeling it worked well in Louisville, which is where he grew up, but it looks awful in NJ despite him taking care of it.nbsp;
    We have water restrictions and follow them. What we don't have is money to resod every year. If we don't water grass dies.

You'll forgive me for asking, but is grass native to TX? I think part of the issue is that people have this idyllic vision of grass in their yards when it's not a climate suited to grass. If you went with plants that belong in TX you wouldn't need to water it, no? My grass stays reasonable without watering at all, but the grass I have is suited to NJs climate. 

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with you. I think a nice lawn shows pride in ownership. I also agree that some lawns are harder to manage then others. It took us half a year to get our lawn in shape, we had to tear it up and start all over. The dirt was horrendous. Plus, we have HOA so we kind of have to stay on top of it.

As far as my UO, I can never think of anything good.

I hate canned vegetables? :-/ *lame...*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:
    I don't understand the appeal of traveling with young kids. I think I'm full of dread over our impending vacation moreso than excited. i'm sure this will change when my kids are around five or so but for right now I don't find much enjoyment in traveling at all. 

I 100% agree.  Maybe its my kids, but I can't imagine taking them to art musuems or for truly fantastic non-kid dining.  Infants sure, but I just can't imagine with them at this age.  I could get away with maybe a day of it, but at some point I know with my kids I would just be setting them up to fail. Sure there are parks and playgrounds everywhere, but that's not what I have in mind for vacation.

It depends on the type of vacation you're talking about, our favorite vacation is to go to the coast somewhere and we don't eat a million dollar restaurants, so she does great with us.  

Like a beach and pool, right? Is that what you mean by coast?  And yeah, I don't cook on vacation, so we always go out.

Because I thinking more like taking my kid though museums and art exhibits and historical sites -- just no! 

• image I Heart The 80s:
    By "care for" I mean just that. Water, cut, weed.

Our whole lawn is green weeds. I'm picturing weeding all the clovers that make it up.

Fwiw it is a city back yard and perfectly kept for what it is.
  • image amy052006:
    image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:

It depends on the type of vacation you're talking about, our favorite vacation is to go to the coast somewhere and we don't eat a million dollar restaurants, so she does great with us.  

Like a beach and pool, right? Is that what you mean by coast?  And yeah, I don't cook on vacation, so we always go out.

Because I thinking more like taking my kid though museums and art exhibits and historical sites -- just no! 

Wtf you all. Historic sites are full of kid activities now a days. And if you want to know my toddlers favorite place it's the train museum.

Haters going to hate on my profession.
  • image letranger:
    image amy052006:
    image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:

Wtf you all. Historic sites are full of kid activities now a days. And if you want to know my toddlers favorite place it's the train museum. Haters going to hate on my profession.

Seriously! My kids love going to museums. And when I worked at a living history museum families were our main customers. The kids loved watching the people in costume working (blacksmith was a favorite, as was I when I did open hearth cooking)! My kids love going to museums! 

• image letranger:
    image amy052006:
    image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:

Wtf you all. Historic sites are full of kid activities now a days. And if you want to know my toddlers favorite place it's the train museum. Haters going to hate on my profession.

We are going to the Museum of the American Indian in August!

But I am thinking more like the Effiel Tower or something. 

• image letranger:
    image amy052006:
    image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:

• image amy052006:
    image letranger:
    image amy052006:
    image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:

That is a fabulous museum!!! 

• CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    image rockyrollgirl:

I agree with you. I think a nice lawn shows pride in ownership. I also agree that some lawns are harder to manage then others. It took us half a year to get our lawn in shape, we had to tear it up and start all over. The dirt was horrendous. Plus, we have HOA so we kind of have to stay on top of it.

Agreed about the yard thing. Our last house was east facing and got full sun in the front anf back. We followed the watering guidelines and the grass looked great. At this house we are north facing and have a massive tree with massive roots and full shade all day. Our neighbor's yard is all lush and green and our LL doesn't understand how ours isn't. Well, they don't have a massive tree and they water for an hour every day. I'm sure they have piled up some serious fines from the city and I don't have any interest in doing the same.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image amy052006:
    image letranger:
    image amy052006:
    image Hav=Fath:
    image amy052006:

image KC_13:

Wtf you all. Historic sites are full of kid activities now a days. And if you want to know my toddlers favorite place it's the train museum.

Haters going to hate on my profession.

I love that museum. I will be hitching a ride in the numbers minivan.

Take the boy to air and space though... It's right next door to NMAI
  • It's cool and rainy here. Supposed to go to an outdoor party. That is not appealing...mud and my children equals nightmare for me.
  • image CnAmom:
    image rockyrollgirl:

I agree with you. I think a nice lawn shows pride in ownership. I also agree that some lawns are harder to manage then others. It took us half a year to get our lawn in shape, we had to tear it up and start all over. The dirt was horrendous. Plus, we have HOA so we kind of have to stay on top of it.

Agreed about the yard thing. Our last house was east facing and got full sun in the front anf back. We followed the watering guidelines and the grass looked great. At this house we are north facing and have a massive tree with massive roots and full shade all day. Our neighbor's yard is all lush and green and our LL doesn't understand how ours isn't. Well, they don't have a massive tree and they water for an hour every day. I'm sure they have piled up some serious fines from the city and I don't have any interest in doing the same.

Yeah, we were reported when we first moved in. We had to go to a meeting and explain why the yard was the way it was and that we were working on it. Now after our lawn is perfect, they are riding our butts on the fence being old. Another expense...*grumbles*.

By a nice lawn, I mean decent looking. I walk by this one house on a regular basis and their yard is all dirt with weeds that go up to your waist. I think the people that live there are hermits...I never see them, but I know people live there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I hate trying to plan group vacations but we figure a group vacation with ILs every few years is better than just visiting them in Nebraska. We are trying to plan something for next summer but FIL is on a totally different page. He refuses to camp and wants us all the rent a small condo for a week... I'm not paying thousands of dollars to share a room with another couple! Plus he wants places on a lake... Umm you are the only one without small children. We don't want to be on a lake. Not far from one, sure, but right outside the door is not happening.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers