May 2013 Moms

Returning to work

I'm getting really nervous about going back to work. This is the longest I've been able to breast feed any of my kids and I don't want to stop because of going back to work. I'm really nervous they won't work with me and the times I need to pump. As far as I know they don't have anywhere I would be able to pump besides a bathroom or a coat closet that is where you walk through to get to the bathroom.

I know there are new laws in place stating a work place must provide a private location that is not a bathroom and where you can not be interrupted. I am starting to look all those up and print off what I can so I am prepared to prove they must comply.

It usually takes me almost an hour to pump but I am doing my best to get a double pump to cut time down and I am trying to get the time I pump down to a reasonable time so I am not gone that long.

I guess I'm wondering what others are planning to Do when they go back to work. I work at a nursing home that is probably 95 women but I'm still afraid it's not going to work. I'm not against giving formula but I don't want to give up what we have going just because they make it hard for me.

Re: Returning to work

• I have similar concerns. I think the law applies to employers with over 50 employees, which my company does not have. I will be the first woman turning from maternity leave to ask for this, so I hope they work with me. Good luck to you! Stand your ground.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    Oct '14 October Signature Challenge: Halloween Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What PP said ur employer has to have so many employees for the rules to apply. I know they have to provide a space not in a bathroom. Great job to look at the laws and be knowledgable before u ask about it. My first preg, my job didnt get scheduled breaks. I was having to wait til there was a break in patients which put me going 6 to 7 hours sometimes. I looked at the laws, went to my supervisor and she then allowed me to put breaks in our schedule.
  • I am nervous about returning to work too. I'm lucky because I have my own office so pumping location isn't a problem. But I'm worried I'm not going to have enough time to pump. I have meetings often throughout the day and I get interrupted all day long I feel like my office has a revolving door most days. I have no idea how I'm going to carve out enough time to pump regularly.

Also, I haven't found a hands free bra that works. I ordered the Simple Wishes one because it supposedly works with huge boobs, but it doesn't work with mine! I have to hold my boobs up when I pump and the bra simply does not hold them up enough. Also, it will look ridiculous under my work clothes. So yeah, I am really not looking forward to trying to figure it all out. But I'm determined to at least try.

I am planning to start the conversation with the pediatrician about introducing formula when we go for our next appointment, but I really hope we can delay it a bit longer. The good news is I found out I have 3 weeks more leave than I originally thought so I'm taking advantage and pumping up a storm now to build up supply.

I hope your job accommodates you when you return so you can keep pumping, but if not, just know you did the best you could!

image imageimage

• We surely have more than 50 employees so I know everything should apply. I'm just worried that they are going to throw a huge fit when I need to take extra breaks that are 20 minutes instead of 10.

I'm trying to figure out the hands free bra too, then I can pump on the way to work and not have to hold them. However, I also have huge boobs so I'm nervous nothing is going to work. I'm thinking about just starting with a sports bra and cutting holes in it.

I personally get my work done and I have a lot of down time because I bust my butt so I can rest. So I know I have the time to pump its just getting them to let me go somewhere.

• image mommacakes4u:
    We surely have more than 50 employees so I know everything should apply. I'm just worried that they are going to throw a huge fit when I need to take extra breaks that are 20 minutes instead of 10. I'm trying to figure out the hands free bra too, then I can pump on the way to work and not have to hold them. However, I also have huge boobs so I'm nervous nothing is going to work. I'm thinking about just starting with a sports bra and cutting holes in it. I personally get my work done and I have a lot of down time because I bust my butt so I can rest. So I know I have the time to pump its just getting them to let me go somewhere.
    Can you ladies with big boobs get a cheap sports bra and cut a slit in them to feed the shield through to use hands free?  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did you try the straps on the simple wishes bra? Also, I don't plan to wear mine under my clothes... I'll just slip it on when I pump. Could be an option?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image AllisonO78:
    Did you try the straps on the simple wishes bra? Also, I don't plan to wear mine under my clothes... I'll just slip it on when I pump. Could be an option?

The problem is my nipples point down and i cant quite get them to be held pointing out in that bra. They droop and the pump doesnt get the right amount of suck then.
    image imageimage

• If your company meets the reuirements for those laws to be enforced, don't go in there waving the law in their face. Call them at least a week before you return and tell them your plans and then if possible stop by before your return to make sure you will actually have the space. If they don't, tell them you won't be returning until they do and then bring up the law.
  • I would buy a cheaper reg bra a bit bigger and cut slits if nothing else works.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • With my employer, I sort of just acted like, of course I will be pumping and of course I will need to take pump breaks during work. I tell them (nicely and without making a big deal out of it) that I will need a few breaks during the day to pump for about 25 minutes in a room with a door that locks. If you tell them and act like it's the most natural thing in the world, rather than asking, it's much harder for them to shut you down.

My mindset is that I will not sacrifice BFing my baby for the sake of making someone at work happy. I value my job very much and would never want to jeopardize it, but I also would never allow any employer to make me feel like pumping was out of the question.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker