Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Sleeping w a toy?!???

Ok so DD is 15 months old and she is obsessed w her baby doll-

she normally sleeps w a couple binky's in her crib- dressed in her pj's and a sleep sack (so no blanket) one day she wasn't napping- I went in there to check on her cause she was crying- she cried for baby- so I gave it to her and she went right to sleep- after like 5 minutes of play w baby doll in the crib

sooooo my question is in your opinion is it ok to sleep w a doll/toy? Is it a bad habit? Am I confusing her as to when is play time and when is sleep time???

how many of u have a child that sleeps w a toy or doll?? 

Re: Sleeping w a toy?!???

• Dd sleeps with 2 stuffed animals. It hasn't been a problem for us. I push them to the opposite end of the crib from where she sleeps. She plays with them quietly in the morning.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagelasposa425:
    I don't think it's a problem as long as there's nothing on the doll that can be chewed off or removed that could be a choking hazard or something.

this. I was cautious about letting DD have any dolls that had beaded eyes or things that could be removed or chewed.  Those lovey blankets with the animal heads on them are perfect. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My 23 mth old DD has been sleeping with a stuffed bunny, which she calls "Mimi" for the past 6 months.  If she goes to bed and "Mimi" isn't there, she will cry until she gets it.  Its the same thing with her blanket.  If her blanket is in the wash, I have to wait to give her a nap or to put her to bed until her blanket is available.  It doesn't matter if I try to give her a different blanket instead.  It HAS to be THAT blanket.  She has to bring the blanket and "Mimi" downstairs with her when she wakes up as well.  I don't think there is any harm in having a "comfort item".  Whether it be a toy, doll, stuffed animal or blanket, if that's what helps give them the comfort to be on their own, then I don't see anything wrong with it.  I think that as long as the child is able to be separated from the item during the regular daytime activities without any issue, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with allowing the child that particular item at specific points in the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image Pregnancy Ticker
  • RedDDDRedDDD member
    my 15 month old sleeps with two blankies and two stuffed animals.....he hugs them every night.  its comforting to him. 
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Dd has slept with the blanket her uncle's mom made for her since she got it last Christmas. She started sleeping with her stuffed animals a few months ago she picked them herself. She sleeps with her Kiki giraffe her valentine bear her moo cow and mini giraffe pillow. Her moo cow is by her head at the top of her crib. The other three are at the foot of her bed. She likes them. In the morning she plays quietly with them.
  • DS sleeps with his fleece blanket (it can get chilly in our house), his seahorse, and a few other animals that I rotate depending on what is dirty, or what he has smeared poop on (yea...awesome).  He isn't attached to ONE particular animal, but when I put him in his crib for naps or bedtime he always grabs someone and curls up with it.  It's adorable and I see no reason to not let him have something to hug to sleep :)
  • LO sleeps with a doll, a stuffed dog that barks(thank you big sis) and a small stuffed horse. They each require their own blanket because LO tucks them in each night when she gets into her crib. i allow the doll to join us through out the house and in the car. I find it has been helpful when traveling to bring 'babbbbyyyy dollll!!!' with us because it helps LO settle into home. 
  • Just reiterating, at this age it's totally fine. Unless there are development delays that prevent her from moving about or there is something that is a choking or strangulation risk attached to the toy, there is no issue. DS sleeps with a blankie, a lovey and two stuffed animals and has for many months. Most of the time he has moved far away from all of it by the time he's been asleep for an hour. As far as attachment, the doll is probably pretty easy to bring with you wherever she may need to sleep.

For instance, if we know DS is going to have to take a nap in the car or stroller we will bring along his blanket and the lovey to help create a familiar setting. I actually find it to be a great tool for on-the-go naps. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's fine. If she's formed an attachment to it, it's comforting to her. DS sleeps with a lovey blanket and he's very attached. I like that he has something to comfort him- it's very sweet!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• My LO sleeps with a stuffed little giraffe.  He usually sleeps better with it.  My DD is 6 and still sleeps with her favorite bedtime lovey from when she was a baby.  She only has it at night.  I think it comforts her.  I wouldn't be concerned.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • J234J234 member
    We started with a couple stuffed animals at 11 months.  Blanket around 13 months.  
  • Thanks ladies! So now I just have to buy like 6 of the same exact baby doll- cause god forbid we loose her - I'm screwed! LOL 
  • I am ok with toys in their crib.  Both DS and DD slept with a couple of teddy bears and an aquarium on the side rail.  DS even sleeps with a book now.  He started asking to bring one to bed recently so I figured why not; it helps him fall to sleep easier.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes she sleeps with a stuffed bunny that has a silk dress on it - she loves to rub the silk and it helps her fall asleep (sometimes). she will usually sleep without it (like if we forget to take it to my grandmas house for a nap or when we are out and about during nap time or late at night), but it does seem to calm her better when she has it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD has to have 4 teddy bears, 1 elephant, her seahorse, Violet, and 2 blankets in the crib with her. If they're not there she will not go to sleep. They are ALL her lovies. lol. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageKimbus22:
    My kid has had blankets, pillows and toys in his crib for almost a year. He's got literally 8 stuffed toys he will not enter the crib without.
    Glad my kid isn't the only one. :)
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My kid sleeps with about 20 stuffed animals and dolls.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS insists on sleeping with a rubber duck. Why he chose a rubber duck to get attached to I will never know, but he cuddles it and gives it hugs and absolutely will not sleep without it. I have no problem with it- just have to take some pictures so that I can remind him of it when he is a teenager. 
    IMG_0663
  • nah82nah82 member
    My 15 month old has been sleeping with his fp seahorse for awhile.  It is his best buddy and laying him down with it singing is how I put him to sleep.  He lets me know he's ready to get up in the morning by tossing it out of the crib, but as soon as I get him out and his feet hit the floor, he is running to pick it up and carry it with him.  My 3 year old sleeps with a teddy bear.  Nothing wrong with having a lovey at this age, especially if it helps keep them in their own bed rather than mine!  I wouldn't worry until they are old enough to be going to sleepovers at friends' houses.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"