Preemies

When did your baby roll over?/eat solids?

Hi! My 34wk6d boy girl twins are a little over 6months (5months adjusted age). Our little boy has been rolling over in his crib for about a month now (although he never does it outside of his crib-is that normal?) but our little girl has yet to roll over. She rolls onto her side and sometimes tries to get over but just can't do it. 

Also, little guy has been taking solids for a couple of weeks now and little girl still pushes anything out with her tongue. These things and other small things have led us to believe that our DD is behind DS developmentally. When I mentioned this to our Pedi at their 6 month visit she wanted to see DD back in 6 weeks to check her development and said that she may need PT if she doesn't catch up. Se also said that their should be caught up by 6 months. Caught up to what? I thought it was by 2yo that they catch up to full term.

side note, DD was born at 4lb 3oz and DS was 4lb 13oz and now they are only 2oz apart at DD 15lb 13oz and DS 15lb 15oz and only a inch apart in height. 

What has been y'all's experience with your preemies and this type of development?

thanks so much!  

Read my Blog for more details: http://hearts2adopt.blogspot.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: When did your baby roll over?/eat solids?

• DD1 JUUUUUUST started rolling over this week (5.5 months adjusted), while DD2 is kinda like your LO -- will occasionally roll to the side, but that's it. She's always lagged DD1's motor development by a good 1-2 months, so this is no big surprise to us. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with EI services for her, given her lower muscle tone and slower development, but we'll find out when we go back into the neo in a month for their 6(ish) month adjusted follow up appointment.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds like they're still within the normal range of development.  If you're concerned, you can always get them evaluated through EI to see if they would qualify for services.

Solids can be tricky, and it can take a bit for babies to figure out how to swallow them.  They're still on the younger side for solids, so just keep practicing and see how she does.  That was something that kind of had to click for her, and once it did she was fine.

As for catching up by 6 months, that's a bit ridiculous.  You are correct that most preemies will catch up by age 2, and some will take until age 3 or even a little longer depending on their GA at birth, other complications, etc. 

O&D December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movies
  • rslhmgrslhmg
    100 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    image BostonKisses2:
    It sounds like they're still within the normal range of development. nbsp;If you're concerned, you can always get them evaluated through EI to see if they would qualify for services.Solids can be tricky, and it can take a bit for babies to figure out how to swallow them. nbsp;They're still on the younger side for solids, so just keep practicing and see how she does. nbsp;That was something that kind of had to click for her, and once it did she was fine.As for catching up by 6 months, that's a bit ridiculous. nbsp;You are correct that most preemies will catch up by age 2, and some will take until age 3 or even a little longer depending on their GA at birth, other complications, etc.nbsp;

This. I would add that DD took awhile to really roll over, she rolled to 1 side for a few months before she ever rolled completely over. If you are concerned you can always have them evaluated, we did with DD, she was actually ahead for her adjusted age, but it gave me peace of mind.
    imageActual
    imageAdjusted
  • image BostonKisses2:

It sounds like they're still within the normal range of development.  If you're concerned, you can always get them evaluated through EI to see if they would qualify for services.

Solids can be tricky, and it can take a bit for babies to figure out how to swallow them.  They're still on the younger side for solids, so just keep practicing and see how she does.  That was something that kind of had to click for her, and once it did she was fine.

As for catching up by 6 months, that's a bit ridiculous.  You are correct that most preemies will catch up by age 2, and some will take until age 3 or even a little longer depending on their GA at birth, other complications, etc. 

I totally agree with Boston on everything she said!

DD started rolling around 6 months. It doesn't sound like your DD is too far off track.  Every child develops at their own pace, but I can see how it would be hard not to compare when you have twins.

We also started solids at 6 months.  It did not go well at all for the first few weeks, but we continued to offer small amounts.  It took time but she finally got the hang of it.

I also have never heard of them catching up at 6 months.  We were told that most preemies catch up around age 2.  DD is almost 19 months now, and I think she's pretty close.  But we still do go by her adjusted age for developmental things.

When you go to the next pedi visit, make sure to ask if she is taking into consideration your DD's prematurity.  When our pedi would say "she should be doing x at this age", I would counter with "she was 2 months early so would an x month old be doing that?"

OAD December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie 
    (A Christmas Story)

image image
  • DS is about 6.5 months adjusted and not rolling. We have been working with him for months now, but he has no desire to. He occasionally rolls from tummy to back, but it's usually by accident. He still hates tummy time, so I think he's smart enough to realize that rolling back to tummy will take him to that terrible place! He's sitting up well, so I'm not too concerned. He stands well with support, so I'm hoping that rolling is just a milestone that he'll skip, and that it'll be ok.

That said, we noticed a curvature in his back. We take him to a chiro for his reflux, and doc says it looks like scoliosis. So, we are having him evaluated for PT services within the next couple of weeks (what a LONG process!). I just want to make sure that the scoliosis won't impede his gross-motor development.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

• Thank you! Who would evaluate them? 

• Thank you for all of your input. Especially your personal experience. I like the point made that rolling over may just be a milestone that us skipped bc DD almost can sit alone and has great leg and overall lower body strength....so maybe she will just go to walking :)

• image hearts2adopt:
    Thank you! Who would evaluate them? 

After the chiropractor noticed the curve, I brought him into the pedi. She didn't seem too concerned, but did acknowledge the curve and rolling delays. She wrote a prescription for an evaluation based on gross motor delay. I then called our local Early Intervention office. They are sending someone out next week (I called 3 weeks ago!) for an intake, and then he will be evaluated at a separate appt. It's kind of frustrating, and we could be losing precious time if he needs service.

Anyway, when you go for her next appt. ask then if your pedi would recommend a referral.

Oh, and for solid foods, we do purees and oatmeal at this point. He took him a little while to get the hang of eating. He's not really a big fan of it, TBH. We've been trying little pieces of fruit, too, but if he puts them in his mouth, he gags. I'm trying to be patient, and you should, too. 5 months adj. is stll pretty young.  Good luck to you!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

• DS was born at 36wk 5d, and started rolling over back to tummy about 6 months, and just last week started rolling tummy to back (at 7 months).  He still doesn't sit up on his own yet. He didn't get good with solids (purees) until he was 6 months old.  I tried at 4 months, before we knew he was delayed as no one had told us to do things based on his due date not his birth date, and it didn't go well.  So, I waited until 5 months, and he still wasn't into it, so I tried again at 6 months and now he does really well with them.  Although, he's not into bits of foods yet, just purees.

He sees a PT because of torticollis, which delayed his motor skills.  Our pedi noted at his four month that he wouldn't turn his head one direction, and referred us to physical therapy. We were recommended to a private practice by our pedi, and then his PT there recommended we contact Early Intervention as a way to get someone in our home and to have a more personal relationship with the therapist.  Both therapists are AMAZING.  Our Early Intervention program came out about 2 weeks after I called them.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 was born at 34w1d and 4lbs7oz. Starting at around 4 months she occasionally rolled belly to back on accident, but only every once in a while. She didn't roll over on purpose until she was 9 months old (!!). She was sitting unassisted and loved to practice standing (with a little support) before she started rolling.

And then when she started moving, there was no stopping her. Again, she didn't roll until she was 9 months old, and a week after she turned 11 months old, she was walking. So from non-mobile to walking in 2 months. 

I would get your DD checked out just to be on the safe side, but just because she's taking a while to roll doesn't mean there's anything wrong and doesn't even mean she won't be super mobile early!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• image hearts2adopt:
    Thank you! Who would evaluate them? 

Early Intervention is a great place to start.  How things work varies a lot by state and even by county, but there are some things that are steady across the board.  In any case, you can call and request an evaluation yourself, but be aware that the wait list is often long and it can take a while to get things moving.  Sometimes you need a referral from your pedi, and often times if you can get a referral from your pedi they can push to get services started sooner.

O&D December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards