Breastfeeding

XP: Ativan/Lorazepam while nursing

XP from Feb 13 community 

I've been suffering from some pretty nasty anxiety/depression in the last few months. While my doctor and I work to figure out the correct medication/dosage (we have changed it several times now), I am suffering from some anxiety that is starting to affect my ability to function normally. 

She offered me a prescription for some ativan (xanax) or lorazepam but I declined. After a near meltdown at work tonight I'm rethinking it, but wondering about how it would work with breastfeeding. Anyone taking it or taken it in the past?

Thanks.  

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'"
~Mary Anne Radmacher

Feb 2013 August Sig Challenge: Man/Lady Crush: 

Zachary Levi

Re: XP: Ativan/Lorazepam while nursing

• AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper

Lorazepam = Ativan,

Alprazolam= Xanax

both are rated L3 = moderately safe drug list on scale of 1-5

You can call infant risk to see if they recommend anything else for anxiety that may be rated even safer.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• My psych had me take it and time it very precisely with LO's feeding. I was also on a very low dose, .5 mg. He had me take fish oil supplements too, because they naturally help with anxiety. It was a trade off I had to make to keep from having panic attacks, however I probably only took a dozen or so over my whole time nursing. I also had an rx for an antidepressant, these were crisis only pills.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!