February 2013 Moms

Ativan and lorazepam while while breastfeeding?

I've been suffering from some pretty nasty anxiety/depression in the last few months. While my doctor and I work to figure out the correct medication/dosage (we have changed it several times now), I am suffering from some anxiety that is starting to affect my ability to function normally. 

She offered me a prescription for some ativan (xanax) or lorazepam but I declined. After a near meltdown at work tonight I'm rethinking it, but wondering about how it would work with breastfeeding. Anyone taking it or taken it in the past?

Thanks.  

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'"
~Mary Anne Radmacher

Feb 2013 August Sig Challenge: Man/Lady Crush: 

Zachary Levi

Re: Ativan and lorazepam while while breastfeeding?

• Ativan is lorazapam. Xanex is alprazolam. Small quantities of benzos will always make their way into your milk, but Ativan hasn't had as many negative side effects reported for nursing infants as Xanex has. A doctor should NOT be recommending that you take Xanex while breastfeeding. A very low dose of Ativan might be OK... but overall, you may be better off going onto a low-dose SSRI to take on a daily basis than taking benzos... Fewer risks associated with a daily dose of something like Zoloft than a couple of doses of Xanex. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• When I was suffering from anxiety I told my dr that I was wary of taking benzos so she told me to take a benadryl. She said that's what they often give to the elderly for anxiety because its milder than anxiety meds and the drowsiness you get from it takes the edge off the anxiety. I think that a normal dose of benadryl is safe when BF. But then you may be too drowsy to care for LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Rynleigh:
    Ativan is lorazapam. Xanex is alprazolam. Small quantities of benzos will always make their way into your milk, but Ativan hasn't had as many negative side effects reported for nursing infants as Xanex has. A doctor should NOT be recommending that you take Xanex while breastfeeding. A very low dose of Ativan might be OK... but overall, you may be better off going onto a low-dose SSRI to take on a daily basis than taking benzos... Fewer risks associated with a daily dose of something like Zoloft than a couple of doses of Xanex. 

Thanks. I am already on SSRIs and have been for several years but they aren't helping right now. We are working on finding the right type/dose for me but in the mean time things are pretty tough.

Stupid PPD/PPA.  

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'"
    ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Feb 2013 August Sig Challenge: Man/Lady Crush: 

Zachary Levi