Preemies

Potty training

Moms of older preemies.. 

Do you think it took longer to potty train your preemie? Just curious. DS is 22 months & I have potty training in the back of my head. Only thing is that he is nonverbal so how exactly would he be able to "tell" me he has to go? That's the trouble I'm thinking we'll have. I know it's still early but I see all these other brags about having their kids potty trained by their 2nd birthday. I don't think that's happening here.

The only interesting & new thing DS has been doing is tapping his behind. I'm only guessing here but I think he does that when he is going. Just thinking ahead.

What was your experience potty training your preemie? 

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true.. 
for in my heart you were right on time." 
Lilypie - (MSXB)image
                               OAD Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails

Re: Potty training

• Potty training. . .what's that?  My 31 month old D has pretty much zero interest in the potty.  We try at night before bath.  She sits and sits and sits.  She's peed in the potty 1 time.  She's not interested, we aren't pushing.

The thing that makes me feel better is that out of her 12 classmates of the same age (many older) only 2 are potty trained.

GL!   

• DS was not fully potty trained until 4 1/2 years old. I was convinced that he would be done much earlier because he showed a lot of interest when he was younger. However, when we finally started to ask him if he wanted to go, he was always hesitant and said that he was scared about falling in. He went to preschool when he was 3 and I think that helped him a little to see other kids doing it, but again wasn't ready.

I heard that the muscles that need to hold things in are not as developed in preemies-which I didn't really believe until he was about 3.5 years old and waiting for his bathtub to fill. All of a sudden, he was spraying me and he didn't even realize it! We definitely took his lead on this one. We never pushed because it would only set him back. What really made him successful was a sticker chart so he could have visuals of his progress and he loved it!

Potty training was a long road for us, but glad that we were able to get him through it.GL!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it affected us.  My boys were using just a few words at 19/20 months.  At 2 they all of a sudden got more words and started using 2 word phrases.  They were potty trained... on their own institution by 2 years 4 months actual (2 years 1.5 months adjusted).   I was going to wait til 3 to even give it a go, but they started really showing interest, wanting to go multiple times/day on their own.  

• It really depends on the kid. Corri started showing an interest at about 19 on this and I kinda ran with it. We got lucky by just sticking her on the potty a bunch and caught a poop on one of the first tries, so she realized it was more comfy to poop in a potty...she was poop trained by 22 on this and then we tossed the undies at 2 years and a month...she was totally day trained within two weeks and night trained before 2.5. I think we just got lucky in general with her. 
    Corrine Reese (3-5-10) and Gavin Lucas (7-11-13)
    imageimage
  • We started to introduce the potty at 18 months old and I would let DD1 sit on it. But it wasn't until she 2.5 did she grasp the concept of staying clean and peeing on the potty. One day she asked to wear underwear and basically had a few accidents, but has been potty trained every since. I'm hoping when it comes time to train #2, it will be easier. Only time will tell.

• Pips09Pips09
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    My almost 2 year old has not shown any signs of being ready, but I think it's just her, not having to do with being a preemie. I'm not even planning on trying yet.
  • Thanks guys.

I don't think we're quite ready. He has gone on the potty before but the main thing he lacks is how to communicate when/if he wants to go so we'll see in the next few months. 

"They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true.. 
    for in my heart you were right on time." 
    Lilypie - (MSXB)image
                                   OAD Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails

• image M&MHaveMyHeart:

Thanks guys.

I don't think we're quite ready. He has gone on the potty before but the main thing he lacks is how to communicate when/if he wants to go so we'll see in the next few months. 

DD1 can't communicate well yet, but she was showing signs of being ready around 22 months. I, however, was 36 weeks pregnant at the time and not really feeling up to it. We ditched the diapers for one day and then put them back on. We tried again this past weekend (she's now 26.5 months) because she was showing signs again, wanting to sit on the potty on her own, for example. On Friday morning we said bye-bye to the diapers, and she's doing great so far. We're going on our first (short) outing this afternoon when she gets up from her nap. She can't say many things, but she is able to communicate that she has to go, and she got the concept pretty quickly. Sunday and yesterday we had one accident / day. We're still using diapers when she sleeps, though.

The book I read on PTing ("oh crap! potty training") says the younger the better and it's easiest between 20-30 months. She does say preemies may not be ready as soon as term babies, but in general just says to know your child and figure out when it's the right time.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards