May 2013 Moms

Pumping

As I sit here at 3 am pumping in the dark I have a few questions. Do you pump to empty your breasts or if you get enough do you stop?

I don't think I've ever actually emptied them I get frustrated it takes so long and stop when I know I've gotten enough for a bottle. I generally get a good amount the few times I pump a day, like now in the middle of the night.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Pumping

• You can never fully empty them as production is continuous so I pump until I get about 3 to 4 ounces on each breast. Sometimes I only get 2 to 3 though.

I hate doing it with the manual pump so I'm off to buy the electric medela today.

imageimage
  • I basically EP so I punp for 30 minutes. By that time the milk has stopped coming out even though like PP said you are always making milk. I pump for 30 mins.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Lolalipsy:
    You can never fully empty them as production is continuous so I pump until I get about 3 to 4 ounces on each breast. Sometimes I only get 2 to 3 though.

I hate doing it with the manual pump so I'm off to buy the electric medela today.

This is what I thought. I only have a single pump so it takes twice as long. I get about what you do to. It just depends on the time of day.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I pump until I feel pretty empty.
    I use an electric double pump and usually pump 1525 minutes depending on how full I am!

• KLJ3KLJ3
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary
    I pump for 20 minutes [double electric] unless my right side still has more than one stream of spray coming out. My left side only dribbles. I've never, ever been able to pump "2 to 5 minutes after the last drop" like they say you're supposed to in order to increase supply.

I've discovered that I can usually get more and empty the breasts better with the manual pump, but I still only do 20 minutes.
  • I have a double electric and I pump for 20 minutes...because that's the length of a Duck Dynasty episode. :) It's a good thing they aren't hour long shows. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll double pump, then wait ten minutes and do a breast massage and then "vigorously" single pump each side for 10 minutes or so and I get a lot more milk. By "vigorously" I mean I will really smash the crap out of each boob and take care to periodically reposition the cone thingy to get milk from all sections of my breast (i.e. hold it tight up the the left, then up and to the  middle, then up right, etc). I feel where the knots are in my breasts and basically take the cone to the knot. 

If I just double pump, I usually get 2-3 oz from each breast (more in the morning, less at night and almost always more from the right side). I usually get 5-6 oz total for my MOTN and first-thing-in-the-morning pump and 3-4 total all other times. 

I also found that if I BF little Snuffles a few times during the day then I get more when I pump. 

She is here! 5-29-13

• image AllieAGame:

I have a double electric and I pump for 20 minutes...because that's the length of a Duck Dynasty episode. :) It's a good thing they aren't hour long shows. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll double pump, then wait ten minutes and do a breast massage and then "vigorously" single pump each side for 10 minutes or so and I get a lot more milk. By "vigorously" I mean I will really smash the crap out of each boob and take care to periodically reposition the cone thingy to get milk from all sections of my breast (i.e. hold it tight up the the left, then up and to the  middle, then up right, etc). I feel where the knots are in my breasts and basically take the cone to the knot. 

I must be using this hand pump wrong - I can't figure out how you all get so much out of it and get different sections of the breast!  Hmm... 

• image KateRN08:
    I basically EP so I punp for 30 minutes. By that time the milk has stopped coming out even though like PP said you are always making milk. I pump for 30 mins.

This is what I do as well.
  • I EP with LJ and I can never empty my breasts, either. I usually pump for about 45 minutes because I get a second letdown at the 30-min mark. I don't pump at night, so I end up pumping for a little bit longer during my morning session just because my breasts feel so full.

ETA: I have a double electric pump (Medela PISA). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image kelly422:
    image AllieAGame:

I have a double electric and I pump for 20 minutes...because that's the length of a Duck Dynasty episode. :) It's a good thing they aren't hour long shows. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll double pump, then wait ten minutes and do a breast massage and then "vigorously" single pump each side for 10 minutes or so and I get a lot more milk. By "vigorously" I mean I will really smash the crap out of each boob and take care to periodically reposition the cone thingy to get milk from all sections of my breast (i.e. hold it tight up the the left, then up and to the  middle, then up right, etc). I feel where the knots are in my breasts and basically take the cone to the knot. 

I must be using this hand pump wrong - I can't figure out how you all get so much out of it and get different sections of the breast!  Hmm... 

I've never used a hand pump (seems really difficult!), but with the electric pump, I move the cone all over my breast and press pretty hard when I'm power pumping after a regular pumping session (I don't do this every time). For example, usually you would hold the cone/pump level with your breast and pump (at least I assume that's the normal way), but after I feel like I've gotten most of the milk that way I press it in harder to my breast and see if I can get more milk. Then, I keep pressing it pretty firmly into my breast, but move it up, so I'm holding the breast up with the cone while I pump, and then continue to move it around while pressing firmly to see if I can get more milk by holding it in different positions. If I feel a hard spot on the breast, I'll move the cone to that spot and press it in firmly while pumping to see if I can get more milk out.

I have decently full breasts (C cup), so there is lots of room to move the cone around. Maybe if you are smaller chested, this wouldn't work. Good luck!

She is here! 5-29-13

• I am not an EPer and don't pump often but when I do after about 10 min it slows to almost nothing. I don't have patience to wait for more so I stop. But I usually have 3 or more oz by then so I'm fine with it. I know you will constantly make more milk, but if I pump too soon after LO eat, I will literally get nothing but a couple drops from that side.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Lolalipsy:
    You can never fully empty them as production is continuous so I pump until I get about 3 to 4 ounces on each breast. Sometimes I only get 2 to 3 though.

I'm so jealous that you get that much. My pumping sessions only net 1 and a half to 2 and a quarter ounces total between both sides.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    Oct '14 August Signature Challenge: You Had One Job
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic