Parenting

XP:Unhappy with new opportunity-WWYD?

I took a new job back in April and I really dislike it.  The hours are horrible-technically supposed to be 8-5 but often is 6:30a-5p at least once a week.  DH just got switched to a different shift and I explained to my boss that if he runs late, there may be a problem with me getting to work that early.  I was told-"the job requires occasional early/late days".  I'm fine with occasional but 1-2xs a week is frequent, no?  I also feel like the duties were a bit of a bait and switch and this job should be reclassified as a secretarial/admin/entry level position.  I have zero decision making ability (I was not micromanaged in my old job) and feel like all I do is run around and pick up mail.  I'm so discouraged and feel like I made a huge mistake.  My old job was full of drama, but I had a great schedule that worked with our family.  I worked 9-5, could take off for whatever appointment/school thing that I needed.  Now I feel chained to the office and on call 24/7.  With that said-I know it's only been 3 months, but I spoke to the person who was in the job prior to me and she had the exact same feelings.  It seems to be that everyone else gets that this is an admin job except the manager.  The manager is super sweet, but 100% of the corporate mentality (I came from a field where things were a little more lax).  

Today-I randomly got a call from a position I applied to last year.  I was in the final 2 but they opted with the other person because she was internal.  I spoke to the manager today and he's interested in having me come in for an interview.  Can I raelly leave a job I just started 3 months ago?!  I would feel so guilty.  This other job is significantly more pay, doing work that I used to be doing, and literally 5 minutes from home.  I made it clear to the manager that if he's looking for someone to work 24/7 then I wasn't his candidate because I needed to have a decent work/life balance.  He said no way would he expect that.  It's tempting-WWYD? (Retirement options are similar, I'm unsure what the sick/vaca allotments are and health insurance is not applicable as I'm on DH's).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP:Unhappy with new opportunity-WWYD?

• I left a job I adored 6 months ago for a job that would supposedly help me along in my career quicker.  I hated the new job.  Because of changes in health care, my old job approached me to come back last week offering more money and the same opportunities to grow.  I accepted the position today.

Do I feel guilty?  A little bit.  But honestly it's about what's best for you and your family.  Ultimately you need to decide what's right for you and not the company.  I know it's hard and I definitely wrestled with the decision all weekend.  But I will be happier, making more money and it's a better balance especially with a baby coming.

Good luck with your decision!

BFP - 2/5/13 EDD - 10/14/13
    Lucas Michael - born sleeping 9/23/13
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP 3/3/14
    Our rainbow is a BOY!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby William diagnosed with sacral myelomeningocele (spina bifida) 6/26/14
    C-section scheduled for 10/22/14
  • This is America. Free Market, yo.

Seriously, go to the interview. It sounds like your current job hasn't really been the job you were promised when you took it anyways.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • If you feel you were mislead about your duties, are unhappy with your hours, and feel that you are being micromanaged then I think you should strongly consider leaving if a better opportunity presents itself. I don't feel like it would be disloyal or make you look bad unless you had a habit of job hopping.

image image
  • I'd go for it.  I know it's not very considerate to leave a job you just started 3 months ago but the bottom line is you need to do what is best for you and your family.  It sounds like you are really unhappy at your current place and if you have a chance at a job that might be a better fit for you plus more money it's definitely worth looking in to.

Good luck! 

imageimageimageimage
  • Do what's best for you and your family.  There's no point in having loyalty to a company who, at the end of the day, will have no loyalty to you.

You're miserable and this other job sounds like a much better fit.  Go for it!

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• Mos3Mos3
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    Thanks everyone. I just thought this current job would be a step forward based on what I was told and I feel like its a step backward. I was so excited to get this new job too. I'm nervous the grass may not be green on the other sideas I've learned with the current job.
  • WHY are you even waffling here? Go for the interview. It sounds like a much better fit for you and your family, and eh- you don't have much to lose. :)

It's okay to have a little blip in your work history as long as you have an explanation, and "much better opportunity opened up" is a good one. 

Good luck!

• image ItsAllGravy7:
    leave and dont feel guilty. the end. you need to think of you and your family. loyalty to a job you hate will get you nowhere.

This x 1000. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image ItsAllGravy7:
    leave and dont feel guilty. the end. you need to think of you and your family. loyalty to a job you hate will get you nowhere.

absolfreakinglutely.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • image ItsAllGravy7:

This.

• Tbd143Tbd143
    250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments Combo Breaker
    image ItsAllGravy7:

This.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Id go for the other job. The ONLY thing you owe a job is to do a good job every day you are there. If this current job isnt a good fit for you and a job has come up go for it! 

• Mos3Mos3
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    I am just waiting to be scheduled for an interview. Thanks for all your advice. I talked with my parents about it tonight and they have such a different thought process bc of their generation! My dads been with the same company for 34 years! They're all about sucking it up.
  • Sounds like a no brainer...

• I once left a job that was a terrible fit after only 3 months to take my chances being unemployed and lived off my savings. Best thing I could've done for my sanity. So with that said...

You have the major bonus here of having another possible job opportunity!! I say leave and don't look back if you are offered the other job.

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• I wouldn't feel guilty.  I hate my job and don't have other options, if I did I would be out of there in a heartbeat.  Do what you need to do for yourself and your family.  Just make sure you put in a 2 week notice and you should be fine.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Do NOT feel guilty. I took what I thought was a better job and hated it immediately. I was let go after about 6 months because of some BS that went down and while I freaked out I was also so happy to be done with that place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Mos3:
    I am just waiting to be scheduled for an interview. Thanks for all your advice. I talked with my parents about it tonight and they have such a different thought process bc of their generation! My dads been with the same company for 34 years! They're all about sucking it up.

It's a completely different working world nowadays.  One of the HR guys at my old company said in a talk that nowadays, he is happy to have an employee that stays for at least 2 years.

No offense, Mos, but your parents are out of touch and are probably just nervous for you.

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• lrn327lrn327
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its
    Sounds like the decision should be easy for you.  Good luck with your job interview!  Your family and you deserve to be happy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absolutely leave if you get the other job. This is your life, and from what the previous employee said, it isn't going to get any better. Between the hours and your dislike of the work, it sounds like you will continue to be unhappy there.

A very similar situation happened to me a few years ago. I stayed out of guilt because I committed to two years when I took the position. They ended up closing the entire location and laying me off a year after they hired me. 

I totally should have left as soon as I realized I didn't like it there. 

• You shouldn't feel guilty for leaving a job that you hate for a better one. I would not let this chance pass you up.
  • Do what you feel is best for you and your family.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Ditto pps. Go for the interview and if the new job turns out to be a better fit, go for it.

Unless you have a consistent history of switching jobs frequently, I don't think it will be a problem on your resume. If anyone asks, IMO, it's fine to say that the position wasn't what you expected it to be when you were interviewed and you're looking for something that it a better fit.

Good luck!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Don't feel guilty about going for an interview!  If this job isn't a good fit, you need to find something that's more compatible and that you'll be happier with.  Good luck!
    O&D September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Foods

2 Bostons, 1 Preemie, & 65 Roses