May 2013 Moms

LO forcefully removes herself from nipple (XP BF board)

My LO is one month old, and breastfeeding has been going well so far. Sometimes she forcefully removes herself from my nipples. At first I thought she needed to burp, but that doesn't always work. It starts to hurt and I have to give up, sometimes only 3 to 5 minutes into a feeding. Any ideas of what may be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: LO forcefully removes herself from nipple (XP BF board)

• wjvwjv
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    For us this usually means gas.  Sometimes my son has trouble getting it out.  He starts to writhe and grunt and remove himself from the nipple.  This always seems to happen during out last MOTN feeding because he has been swaddled up and needs to let it out, but it not always easy for him.
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image wjv:
    For us this usually means gas.  Sometimes my son has trouble getting it out.  He starts to writhe and grunt and remove himself from the nipple.  This always seems to happen during out last MOTN feeding because he has been swaddled up and needs to let it out, but it not always easy for him.

Thanks. Any tips on relieving the discomfort? I do bicycle legs with her daily, but she hasn't had any trouble with gas thus far, so I'm not sure what else to do.

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not hungry anymore, just needed to snack or needs a burp... If she is gassy I find oval drops help settle my LOs tummy.

• I was just looking into this too, and a lot of sites say it could also be that your LO is in between letdowns, and gets frustrated if the second letdown isn't coming as fast as she wants.

EDIT: To help, try breast compressions at the first sign of fussiness. 

She is here! 5-29-13

• My guy doesn't pull off painfully but he will pull off and get frustrated sometimes. But it's usually later than 5 min in. Ditto what others said. It's either gas, or he's full and still wants to suck but is frustrated by the milk coming. So then I remove him and give him a paci.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic