I am a frequent lurker, but never posted since I don't have any advice because I haven't yet been successful going med-free.
Backstory: Water broke with #1, no contractions, started on pit immediately, tried Nubain, epidural that only worked on my left side, pushed for 45 minutes, still have numb spots in my back from epi hitting a nerve.
#2- Prodromal labor for 3 days. Sent home on Wednesday with contractions 5 minutes apart, back on Friday, 8 cms, labored for 3 hours, gave in to epi because I was scared of delivering med-free, epi went up and I was numb to my earlobes and having trouble breathing, turned off epi just in time to deliver DD with one push only 4 hours after admission.
#3- 31 weeks pregnant and adamant about going med-free this time. After 2 failed epidurals, it's just not an option. I'm seeing a mid-wife that is part of the practice at our local hospital.
I'm not sure how much the backstory is necessary, but I included it just so you could get to know me.
Now, I want to have a homebirth this time, but H says no way. He isn't supportive of going med-free at all. His thoughts are that I shouldn't endure the pain since medicine is available. He doesn't understand the damage done and fear from 2 failed epi's.
How much would your husband's opinion influence your decision. Do you feel that it is completely up to you since it's "your body, your birth" or would you go along with what YH wanted. I'm already 31 weeks so I think the option is off the plate for me, but I'm just curious what others think.
Also, if you have any tips or ideas to prep for a med-free, hospital birth, I would love to hear them.
ETA: My rambling got a little confusing. How much would YH opinion influence having a homebirth and/or going med-free?