Working Moms

Do you ever "casually apply"

A job popped up in my inbox and I'm vaguely curious, but it would take a lot for me to switch jobs. Do you ever casually apply to positions? Do you treat it any different from a position you are very interested in? Just curious.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Do you ever "casually apply"

• I did...and I got it.  It was nice not having anything riding on it, because if I didn't get it I'd be fine with the job I have now. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • image Netty_3:
    I did...and I got it.nbsp; It was nice not having anything riding on it, because if I didn't get it I'd be fine with the job I have now.nbsp;

So you decided to go for the new position? Congrats and good luck!
  • I do. I like my job and am content, but if I see an opening that interests me and would be a good opportunity than I apply. Nothing to lose
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very rarely. It would have to be something I'd seriously consider taking because this is a small industry and if I'm not looking to jump ship, I don't want to waste anyone's time or potentially burn bridges down the road.

However, just a few weeks ago a competitor was advertising for my exact position and I felt I "owed" it to myself to drop them a line even though I'm perfectly happy here. They did call me in for an interview but I don't think they've made a decision yet. If the salary is the same or lower, I would probably stay where I am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did, mainly because it was cut my coomute time from an hour to 20 minutes...but the raise didn't hurt either. Thanks...it's really new and I'm nervous about giving notice and starting over again...but I think it may be the best thing for the family.
  • I couldn't. Everyone seems to know somebody in this city. I would hate to have it get back to my boss for a job I was ehh about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At this point, I wouldn't.  I'm pretty happy where I am now and there are only 2 competitors in the area.  One of them I'm kind of meh on and the other, I used to work for (and left for a good reason).
    Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• If I see something that looks interesting, you never know what can happen
  • Hell ya! It is almost better because unless it is perfect I do not feel bad turning it down :-)

• image Netty_3:
    I did...and I got it.  It was nice not having anything riding on it, because if I didn't get it I'd be fine with the job I have now. 

This! Me too. . .I just accepted an offer today for a job I randomly came across when I was not even really looking.  

• I frequently apply to positions. Some in other states as well. The job I have is something I know I do not want to do forever. Well, not the title, but the actual company. I know I can make more working elsewhere. My DH laughs at me, bc on really rough days, I come home and look for other positions. Or when I call him from work with some petty BS they blow out of proportion, he already knows what that means. 

• image oliversmom03:
    I frequently apply to positions. Some in other states as well. The job I have is something I know I do not want to do forever. Well, not the title, but the actual company. I know I can make more working elsewhere. My DH laughs at me, bc on really rough days, I come home and look for other positions. Or when I call him from work with some petty BS they blow out of proportion, he already knows what that means. 

I do this. the more annoyed I am or if I get bored. Last night I was telling H I applied and he said, "slow week, huh?"

• image JWSchwarz:

image Netty_3:
    I did...and I got it.  It was nice not having anything riding on it, because if I didn't get it I'd be fine with the job I have now. 

This! Me too. . .I just accepted an offer today for a job I randomly came across when I was not even really looking.  

Congratulations!  Isn't it nice being relaxed through the process? Take it or leave it.

• I do. I'm on a contract that has the potential to become a permanent position. I have this job until November for sure, but I'm still sending in resumes if something pops up. I'd like to stay at this job if it happened, but I can't bank on it, so I skim through job posts and apply to things that I could really see myself doing.

I think being able to apply more casually to something can ultimately land you in a really good position. If you don't have a job and you're searching, then because of all the worries of not having said job, you'd be more likely to accept something you didn't want... Or, same thing applies if you're in a position you don't like and really want to get out of.

If you're at a job that you're okay with but are always on the lookout for something better, then it's not stressful, and you may score yourself an amazing job. :)

• eec129eec129
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments
    Yes, all if the time. I just put my notice I'm for a work at home job that I casually applied to when I was on mat leave. And the new job I'm starting I casually applied to b/c my boss has been very difficult to work with.

BabyFruit Ticker

~TTC Buddy to ebeneezer~