December 2012 Moms

What tv shows does your LO like?

Let me start off by saying my son doesn't sit in front of the tv 24 hours a day. He enjoys being in his exersauser and have something on while I'm in the shower or doing laundry. I don't use the tv as a babysitter, more as a parenting tool to teach him he can play by himself and that tv is meant for enjoyment (at least that's what I'm hoping to teach him). Most of the time, he just plays with his exersaucer toys and only watches the show when something interesting happens (silly noises, bright colors, etc).

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, does your LO have any favorite shows? Right now he's really into Curious George, Blue's Clues, Dinosaur Train, and Pocoyo. DH has been watching Star Trek a lot lately and DS loves the theme song lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What tv shows does your LO like?

• Bubble Guppies!!  She could be in the middle of a MAJOR meltdown and once she hears the intro she stops, and starts smiling!

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• *LrCg**LrCg*
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I don't allow it.  I never allowed my kids to watch any TV until they were 1 and after that they could only watch 20 minutes- which was either a Blue Clues, Mister Rogers, Super Why, etc.  Must be educational.  My oldest is 4 and he's only permitted to watch 30 minutes a day and if he plays a learning app on the tablet that time is factored into that 30 minutes.  I constantly have music on so my 3 kids listen to that- we do 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.  I can understand using TV as a way to wind down for the day (which is when we did it- right before books & bedtime) but to me it doesn't make sense to use it as a tool to teach to play by themselves- because they aren't really doing that and I never wanted my kids to be the kids that needed a tv or tablet/ipad to entertain themselves.  When we go visiting, they each back their small book bag with some cars, etc. and they entertain themselves.
  • I can't tell. I only have it on when I'm getting ready/showering. I do have to say though that I never get a full episode and I've watched the first 15mins of Sophia the First where her brother breaks the window 3 times and I still don't know how it ends! ??

Aug '14 Siggy Challenge

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size ImageView Full Size Image

• Dd doesnt watch tv. Although my h swears she loves hockey.
    My goofy little love. I love you Alexandra Marie.
  • He seems to really enjoy Special Agent Oso, and Jake and the Neverland Pirates. LO always HATED tummy time, and being on the floor in general. It was either in his jumperoo, swing, or in our arms. I caved one day and had the TV on in the background, and voila, now I have a baby who will play on the floor by himself. Sometimes with short tv times, and sometimes playing on his own with toys. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• LO arches her back and looks up at the tv when Steven Colbert is on. She LOVES to watch a local show called Dance Party (people dancing to 70s, 80s, or 90s music) along with Dancing With the Stars. DH watches Stargate, This Week in Computers (and other technology related "talk") and various movies while playing with LO on the floor and she does the same back arch to watch off and on.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • CellisCellis
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments Combo Breaker
    DS doesn't watch TV, but I watch the news in the morning and he will always look when they are talking about the weather. I have played him Elmo's Song on YouTube and he loves Elmo's voice. So I got the songs on Google Music and he smiles when he hears Elmo talk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • DD doesn't watch tv, but she tries to watch ESPN when daddy has it on in the morning. We try to keep her away from it as much as we can, but we do sometimes, especially daddy, have it on in the background.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • DD seems to like the weather channel..i think it's the fact that the maps use lots of bright colors...but i always have that on in the background in the morning when we're getting ready. She also likes old episodes of Law & Order: SVU...she will stop what she's doing and try to look at the TV anytime Elliot is on TV...we joke that he's her TV boyfriend.
    http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/gif-Batman-Joker-dance-364549.gif
    April TTGP Sig Challange: Favorite Superhero/Villian
    Christian Bale's Batman and Heath Ledger's Joker!

• She loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She talks to the tv, smiles, stands in front of the entertainment center... She seems to like Doc Mcstuffins and the weather channel too.
    Saturday DH bought DS a Lego Star Wars video game and she thought it was hilarious when they were playing it.
    Tv isn't going to kill anyone. Mil put DH and BIL in front of it all the time, they're both engineers.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I don't see tv as being this bad thing, as long as its not on 24/7. Dd likes to watch Mickey Mouse club house, she will watch it here or there, more for background noise. I babysit for three other kids and they watch tv when they come home from a school to unwind, so she's bound to watch it sometime. I like my shows, so why deny dd a little tv.
  • bmerrbmerr
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary

image *LrCg*:
    I don't allow it.  I never allowed my kids to watch any TV until they were 1 and after that they could only watch 20 minutes- which was either a Blue Clues, Mister Rogers, Super Why, etc.  Must be educational.  My oldest is 4 and he's only permitted to watch 30 minutes a day and if he plays a learning app on the tablet that time is factored into that 30 minutes.  I constantly have music on so my 3 kids listen to that- we do 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.  I can understand using TV as a way to wind down for the day (which is when we did it- right before books & bedtime) but to me it doesn't make sense to use it as a tool to teach to play by themselves- because they aren't really doing that and I never wanted my kids to be the kids that needed a tv or tablet/ipad to entertain themselves.  When we go visiting, they each back their small book bag with some cars, etc. and they entertain themselves.

You're right. You're such a better mom than I am. My son has one of those chew-able cloth books and loves that, so hopefully I'm on the right track. 

I'm glad you responded :) 

• I fail as a Mom I guess. My kid likes Two & a Half Men. He also watches Hells Kitchen on Friday mornings with me. Oh well,at least when he is older he'll make a decent risotto.

image image

• image amberdb72:
    I fail as a Mom I guess. My kid likes Two amp; a Half Men. He also watches Hells Kitchen on Friday mornings with me. Oh well,at least when he is older he'll make a decent risotto.

Risotto making is an art! He will of course be famous because of his mad skills.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • image amberdb72:
    I fail as a Mom I guess. My kid likes Two amp; a Half Men. He also watches Hells Kitchen on Friday mornings with me. Oh well,at least when he is older he'll make a decent risotto.

Hahahahaha! Hilarious.

I made risotto one time and dumped waaaaaayyyyy too much rice in. So I added more liquid and ended up with risotto for 10 instead of 3. Oops.
    My goofy little love. I love you Alexandra Marie.
  • We don't really watch tv, but I showed her the Monsters University trailer and she went nuts! It was pretty funny, I'm excited to show her cute movies like that, especially Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. 

• image minervacullen:
    image amberdb72:
    Risotto making is an art! He will of course be famous because of his mad skills.

I've never had risotto but I really want to try it. I love Hells Kitchen,and until Connor yells "where is my bottle you donkey!" we will continue to watch it.

image image

• image amberdb72:
    I fail as a Mom I guess. My kid likes Two & a Half Men. He also watches Hells Kitchen on Friday mornings with me. Oh well,at least when he is older he'll make a decent risotto.

As long as he doesn't learn to call everyone a cow ;) (We watch HK too, but DD usually falls asleep before it comes on since we usually catch it as it airs, so I can't really tell if she likes it or not)

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/gif-Batman-Joker-dance-364549.gif
    April TTGP Sig Challange: Favorite Superhero/Villian
    Christian Bale's Batman and Heath Ledger's Joker!

• There's a uber religious Christian cable station called Smile of a Child.  There's a show on it called Brainy Baby.  That's the only show we let my (now) 2 year old watch until he was about 18 months old and he LOVED it and it was educational and slow-paced.  Some of the cartoons and stuff just made me feel more concerned since I was already (happy to be) breaking the "no tv before 2" rule.  It's real life babies and people and objects, does a lot of counting and tons of music and sign language and foreign language and stuff.  He had no idea what he was missing by only getting that.

We set it to DVR so we had a bunch to choose from.

The only caveat was that we're Agnostic/Atheist so there were times the episode would end and it'd launch into a "Jesus Loves You" hubbub and I couldn't get to the TV fast enough to shut it off, ha.  But really, I think that show is a big reason my son can count to 15 and sing his ABC's since about 20 months old.

As for the youngest...much harder to keep the TV to that kind of stuff with the older in the house now.  And now my oldest loves Thomas shows/movies (they're mostly models with narration), Dinosaur Train (this is my favorite, lol), Clifford...we're just starting to get into a little Curious George.  PBS is our friend!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image *LrCg*:

Congratulations, you've just won today's Sanctimommy award!

To the OP, my kids (all of them from the 7 month old to the 6 year-old) love the Classical Baby series by Baby Einstein. 

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then success with condoms! Who would ever have guessed.

This Cluttered Life

• If I'm putting something on that I know he is watching, he loves the Baby Einstein DVDs. I do this in the morning while I am getting his breakfast ready. But, specifically, I haven't noticed anything in particular that catches his eye. He loves pretty much anything involving music, but that's all I've noticed so far.
    "The only things evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants". - Johnny Depp
    photo 4739d2a1-a0f0-4026-998f-7eb92f0ddcc9_zps73c86477.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image amberdb72:
    I fail as a Mom I guess. My kid likes Two & a Half Men. He also watches Hells Kitchen on Friday mornings with me. Oh well,at least when he is older he'll make a decent risotto.

and beef wellington because they always screw that up on HK too.  

• CellisCellis
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments Combo Breaker

image KikiSmash12:
    I'm excited to show her cute movies like that, especially Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. 

Me too!!! I love Disney and can't wait to share it with DS.

As far as TV being bad, the only studies I have seen showed that it was better if the parent was watching with the child and interacting with them. I think it's only really a negative effect if they don't have any type of social interaction and just sit watching tv all day (Cable Guy? haha). Which no one on here does, so I don't think it's a problem.  

• I don't typically turn the TV on, but DH has it on all the time as background noise (this drove me crazy even before DD was born haha... stupid electric bill).  She doesn't seem to pay attention to it unless music is playing (she stares every time a theme song plays). 

I am too cheap to buy baby einstein dvd's, but when she's playing on the floor I'll sometimes find them on youtube and she'll watch/listen to my laptop intermittently.  The counting episode has a lab that's running around at one point, and she always goes crazy and smiles (I guess she realizes that her doggie looks like that!).

I don't think TV is a big deal if you aren't parking them in front of it constantly.  But if it keeps her entertained for 15 minutes so I can switch laundry, wash some dishes, or start dinner - I'll take it! 

• I can't believe I even have to admit I let this be played in my house at all BUT... Nascar. Yep, Sundays are Nascar in our house and LO seems to enjoy the bright cars although he will get distracted pretty easy unless they are revving the engines (or whatever the "technical" term is). 
    image image image
  • jac409jac409
    Ancient Membership 250 Answers 500 Comments 100 Love Its

image kescalera:
    I can't believe I even have to admit I let this be played in my house at all BUT... Nascar. Yep, Sundays are Nascar in our house and LO seems to enjoy the bright cars although he will get distracted pretty easy unless they are revving the engines (or whatever the "technical" term is). 

My DH works in NASCAR, so we watch it too.  I had never watched a race in my life until I met him though.  Oddly, I think DD also likes it.  Must be all the colors and bright lights. 

• Golf. She will sit with papa and watch it till he moved her and then get angry that its gone. Other than that we play a lot of PBS and sing the songs to her or talk to her about the things. My husband plays her the storyteller a lot.
  • I also keep LO away from TV as much as possible. When its on in a room she turns to it, stops and stares, so I mostly keep it off. I don't think it's harmful, but the research I've read found they aren't able to learn from TV at this age, so I'd rather she be spending the time with toys or moving around. I'm not against tv, when she's older she can watch Disney and movies, I just stick to the screen time recommendation of none under 2.  

That said, on days I sleep in DH lets her sit on his lap to watch TSN sports centre, and he claims she loves Jay & Dan and the 'top ten' highlight reels. 

And I also love Hell's Kitchen!! But no matter how much I watch it, my risotto is far from perfect lol :)

• Daniel Tiger!! he gets the biggest smile when he sees him. Thanks grandma. Never would've happened on my watch.
  • image ExcitedAunt2b:

Bubble Guppies!!  She could be in the middle of a MAJOR meltdown and once she hears the intro she stops, and starts smiling!

Oh my, my DD is the same way. We watch it on my iPad almost daily. I find myself singing those songs throughout my work day, lol. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP#1:MC 8/20/2010| BFP#2:MC 7/9/2011| BFP#3:DD born 12/14/2012