February 2013 Moms

Let's have a pity party about pumping

I hate it. 

Look, I love my baby, and I'm a firm believer in the whole breast is best thing. And I love nursing her. I was really sad when I stopped with my son, but was only consoled by the fact that I was already pregnant and would be nursing again soon.

BUT GOOD LORD I HATE PUMPING SO MUCH! Having to take my lunch break in a room by myself. Having to stop what I'm doing to go suck milk out of myself. The fact that it hurts if I don't. The constant worry about whether I'm getting enough out.

Whine with me, ladies.  

Feb 2013 September Sig Challenge- Favorite Moive: 
Hot Fuzz

Re: Let's have a pity party about pumping

• This is why I gave up pumping after a month. It was hard! And honestly I wish I didn't let sleep deprivation and the stress of twins make me stop. I hated every second of pumping but I also wasn't nursing just EPing. I feel a little guilty for stopping and do wish I gave nursing another shot. BUT i know I would never have lasted. And man was I tired of pumping! I give you lots of respect for sticking it out! Vent all you want because you deserve to!
  • I hear you! I'm back to work FT and pump. I did it with DS not long ago. It definitely gets old fast.
                  imageimage
    Homebirthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, young mama to two beautiful babies
    and married to my best friend in the world.
    imageimage
  • I'll join your pity party. Even though I can actually work while I pump [I have my own office with a lock on the door] for my morning and afternoon sessions, I find it so annoying that I've started using my lunch break to drive to my parents' house to nurse DD.

Now that my supply regulated and I'm not pumping 23 oz extra per day, it just isn't worth the stress. At least I know DD gets enough when I nurse her, and relying less on the pump will hopefully keep my supply up. Plus, I go back to work FT next week so it's a nice excuse to spend extra time with her each day.

Seriously though, pumping is for the birds. I have soooo much respect for the EPing Feb 2013 mamas, you ladies are awesome!!
    Sept Sig Challenge - Favorite Movie

• Pumping sucks, literally. Haha. Doing it at work as we speak. Have to rely on someone else to cover my desk while I'm doing it. And the ladies that sit outside the room I am using get the pleasure of hearing my pump running. Thankfully I have understanding coworkers! At least there's TB to keep me entertained. :
  • I'm totally not a fan either. I could never EP. Not in a million years. In fact, when DD was going through her mini nursing strike phase and refusing to nurse in the evenings, the thought of having to pump every night was enough for me to consider giving up BF'ing.

Pumping at work for me is just annoying. I'm a nurse, and we're often short-staffed, so taking 2 breaks to go pump is very hard sometimes. Normally my coworkers are understanding, but I really feel bad because often me getting 2 pumping breaks comes at the expense of someone else's lunch break since there's no one to cover. I can usually get in my 10:30 session on time, but there have been several days lately when I haven't gotten to pump again until after 3:00. And I've also been getting less milk while pumping, so that's frustrating too. Thank goodness I only work 1-2 days a week.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14- Team Blue! 

• I am seriously sitting at my desk and just finished my morning pumping session... Puck, how on earth are you pumping that much??? What is everyone else pumping on any given day??? 

I SERIOUSLY pump MAYBBBBBBEEEE 6 oz TOTAL for the whole day :( Thats from 3 pumping sessions, that are 30 minutes long. I drink water all day long, i'm taking motherlove more milk plus. My baby is getting more formula then BM these days because she will eat a 6oz bottle at the sitters after I drop her off, and then its formula the rest of the day. When we get home I try to nurse her, most nights she will scream at me because she will want the bottle. :( Our night BF'ing sessions are solid. Though now sh is starting to sleep through the night, so she will nurse when she wakes up and then thats it.

I hate hate hate pumping, but wont stop. Even if she is only getting one bottle of BM a day, its better then nothing. :/

OH and I cracked one of my nipples last week, because I turned my pump up to high, thinking maybe if it was sucking harder I would get more milk. Nope, just a cracked nipple.  

• image Agentmysterycathotmail.com:
    I am seriously sitting at my desk and just finished my morning pumping session... Puck, how on earth are you pumping that much??? What is everyone else pumping on any given day???nbsp;I SERIOUSLY pump MAYBBBBBBEEEE 6 oz TOTAL for the whole day : Thats from 3 pumping sessions, that are 30 minutes long. I drink water all day long, i'm taking motherlove more milk plus. My baby is getting more formula then BM these days because she will eat a 6oz bottle at the sitters after I drop her off, and then its formula the rest of the day. When we get home I try to nurse her, most nights she will scream at me because she will want the bottle. : Our night BF'ing sessions are solid. Though now sh is starting to sleep through the night, so she will nurse when she wakes up and then thats it. nbsp;I hate hate hate pumping, but wont stop. Even if she is only getting one bottle of BM a day, its better then nothing. :/ OH and I cracked one of my nipples last week, because I turned my pump up to high, thinking maybe if it was sucking harder I would get more milk. Nope, just a cracked nipple. nbsp;

D'oh! Mobile bumping, forgot it takes out dashes. It was supposed to be 2 to 3 extra ounces, NOT 23. I used to pump 13 to 14 oz when DD was taking 10 or so oz a day. Now I pump exactly 8 oz over two pumping sessions, which covers the 2 bottles she gets while I'm at work.

• LOL, that makes me feel a little better! I saw 23oz and wanted to cry. Though I am still jealous of your out put. I feel like I have done/am doing everything I can to make more milk. 

What are you doing if you dont mind me asking? whats a normal day look like for you food, water and supplement wise?  

• This is why I'm so glad I teach and have the summer off (not to gloat). I HATE pumping. It was always the worst part of my day. I love nursing and the cuddles I get but I cannot stand having to milk myself at work just so DD can eat. Also my mom was so overfeeding DD (I don't think she needed 23 oz while I was at work for 8 hours!) so I burned through my freezer stash. I was lucky if I managed to pump 12 oz at work over 3 session. Generally I got 2-3 oz a session so maybe 6-9 oz while at work. I was even doing a morning pump and evening pump just to try to keep up (didn't happen). So even though it's summer vacation I still pump so that I can rebuild my freezer stash. But now I pump when I want to! 

And since my goal is to extended BF I will be pumping all of next school year and I will probably have to deal with comments from coworkers who thought I was stupid for BFing in the first place. 

• BLAHHH! I hate pumping, too. I EP and loathe it so much. I love that I can make milk for baby, but man ... Am I sick of it! 

I also supplement with formula, but since using domperidone over the last 3 weeks, supplementing has decreased to 1 bottle a day. My body doesn't respond quickly to any sort of supplement to help increase (fenugreek, brewers yeast, oatmeal, more milk plus, mothers milk tea) so this journey has been tough. 

I'm not back at work yet, but come September, I have no idea how this will work. I'm a sign language interpreter so it's not like I can whip out my pump in the middle of interpreting. I guess I'll just play it by ear when the time comes. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image Agentmysterycathotmail.com:
    LOL, that makes me feel a little better! I saw 23oz and wanted to cry. Though I am still jealous of your out put. I feel like I have done/am doing everything I can to make more milk.nbsp;What are you doing if you dont mind me asking? whats a normal day look like for you food, water and supplement wise? nbsp;

I try to eat oatmeal with some flaxseed meal on it at least a few times a week, and I'm taking Gaia Lactate Support, which has fenugreek, fennel, red raspberry leaf, blessed thistle, and marshmallow root. I also drink a ton of water, usually at leadt 80 to 100 oz, and for some reason pigging out on baked goods seems to boost my suppli as well.

I usually feed DD around 6:30, pump at 9:30, feed around 12:30, pump around 3:30. Sometimes if I feel like I didn't get enough at 9:30, anything less than 4.5 oz, I'll pump really quick as soon as I get to work after lunch to get an extra oz or two. Either that or I'll pump about an hour after DD goes to bed that night to make up the difference. I'm actually considering doing that more regardless, because I never bothered to build a freezer stash of more than 30 or 40 oz, and it would be nice to have a bunch of milk frozen just in case I completely stop responding to the pump.

• AMEN.

When I found out I'd have to EP instead of BF I was DEVASTATED.
    Now I'm mostly just pissy. I hate hate hate hate it and it's my only choice to get my ladybug BM.

I decided I'm only pumping to the 6 month mark though. I wish I could have BF'd :( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Puck1182:
    image Agentmysterycathotmail.com:
    LOL, that makes me feel a little better! I saw 23oz and wanted to cry. Though I am still jealous of your out put. I feel like I have done/am doing everything I can to make more milk.nbsp;What are you doing if you dont mind me asking? whats a normal day look like for you food, water and supplement wise? nbsp;
    I try to eat oatmeal with some flaxseed meal on it at least a few times a week, and I'm taking Gaia Lactate Support, which has fenugreek, fennel, red raspberry leaf, blessed thistle, and marshmallow root. I also drink a ton of water, usually at leadt 80 to 100 oz, and for some reason pigging out on baked goods seems to boost my suppli as well. I usually feed DD around 6:30, pump at 9:30, feed around 12:30, pump around 3:30. Sometimes if I feel like I didn't get enough at 9:30, anything less than 4.5 oz, I'll pump really quick as soon as I get to work after lunch to get an extra oz or two. Either that or I'll pump about an hour after DD goes to bed that night to make up the difference. I'm actually considering doing that more regardless, because I never bothered to build a freezer stash of more than 30 or 40 oz, and it would be nice to have a bunch of milk frozen just in case I completely stop responding to the pump.

Thanks! I will give the Gaia stuff a whirl. Ive done just the Fenugreek and am now doing Motherlove more milk Plus. I eat oatmeal about 3X a week, I will try it out with flaxseed :)