June 2013 Moms

Losing supply in one breast

Ugh. I've gone from general oversupply to close to losing my supply in the left breast as of last night. It's always been the lower yielding one but now it's slowed down to a trickle. I'm calling a lactation consultant when they open, and trying to start all feedings on the left, but welcoming any ideas. I look so lopsided and DS gets so frustrated when I put him on that boob. I know this isn't super uncommon but it makes me feel inadequate and sad.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Untitled

Re: Losing supply in one breast

• Lots of water, dark beer, mothers milk tea, fenugreek, oatmeal can all help boost supply. Not sure how to emphasize one breast though. I hope the LC has good advice for you!

CJ 05/29/2013

• I just posted about this exact same thing a couple days ago.  I realized Friday night that my left breast was barely producing.  I started taking fenugreek and was just pumping the left side and feeding on the right for a couple days. I was literally getting drops when I pumped. Yesterday I put her back on and it seems like she gets a little something. I've been letting her nurse for as long as she will on the left side and then putting her on the right to actually eat.  Sometimes I have to start her on the right until my milk lets down, then switch her to the left, otherwise she gets frustrated that there's nothing there.  

I'm still completely lopsided, but I can feel milk coming in, and she swallows a little bit while she nurses, so I think there has been a little bit of improvement. It has been exhausting because feedings are taking twice as long now and my nipples are so sore because they're not getting much of a break.  

Our lactation consultant is out of the office all week... Go figure... So I'm trying to find someone who can help me.  I'm going to send you a pm too :)

• I'm going to co sign OP. At first she just had a harder time latching on one side but I've pumped a few times and th output was even. Last night I pumped and the right side was half of the left. I need to call an LC but I've been dragging my feet thinking her latch was improving, I didn't realize I could lose my supply so quickly bc I did have an over supply!
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye born on 6/21/2013 at 40w6d 6lbs 15oz 19in
  • All right, ladies, let's all share what we find out!  Waiting for The Pump Station to open at 10am PST!

SO glad I'm not alone in this! 

Untitled
  • image subliminalrabbit:
    All right, ladies, let's all share what we find out! nbsp;Waiting for The Pump Station to open at 10am PST!SO glad I'm not alone in this!nbsp;

I agree, share your knowledge! Although I like BLTs idea if starting with beer ::mobile smile::
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye born on 6/21/2013 at 40w6d 6lbs 15oz 19in
  • image ChristyD6:
    image subliminalrabbit:
    All right, ladies, let's all share what we find out! nbsp;Waiting for The Pump Station to open at 10am PST!SO glad I'm not alone in this!nbsp;

I agree, share your knowledge! Although I like BLTs idea if starting with beer ::mobile smile::

Lol. DH thought I was crazy until the LC confirmed it. I usually have a beer before my last session of the day. Helps me sleep and gives me a boost for a bit more juice overnight.

CJ 05/29/2013

• The beer doesn't affect the breast milk!?...go to the baby!?
  • So I couldn't get in to see anyone until later today, but over the phone the LC told me to pump the low producer for 20 minutes every 3 hours. That plus oatmeal, mother's milk tea, and fenugreek capsules are already helping... Will let you know what I find out in a few hours!

Untitled
  • image candynicole26:
    The beer doesn't affect the breast milk!?...go to the baby!?

No. It metabolizes the same way it does in your blood. I mean don't go out and get hammered but the general rule of thumb is if you're sober enough to drive you're sober enough to BF. I personally pump and dump if I've had more than two.

CJ 05/29/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards