May 2013 Moms

bf vent

I suddenly really strongly dislike breastfeeding. I have no good reason. I just feel so tethered. Then I start feeling guilty because I'm so lucky to even have her....who am I to complain about feeding her?

I'm hoping this is temporary and the feeling passes quickly. Anyone else in the same boat?

Re: bf vent

• I BF my son for 2 weeks and starte to feel the exact same, i was actually getting really depressed. So I started pumping and bottle feeding and have been soooo much happier since and my LO is happier too! Do what is right for you :)
  • Yeah I pretty much hate BFing. I am having trouble pumping, though, so I only get like one bottle a day out of it. I've contemplated switching to formula but I would feel guilty because there's no real reason I can't BF other than it is time consuming and painful at times. I'm trying to stick it out as long as I can. When I go back to work I'll be pumping so we'll see how long it lasts.
    image imageimage

• I hate it! I'm still doing it.. He's 5 weeks old now, and I was told to take it day by day, so that is literally what I'm doing.. if I wake up and decide that's it, I'm gonna start to introduce formula. I heard it gets better after 6 weeks, so that's my goal right now, and it has gotten easier. I don't know if I hate it as much as I did 3 weeks ago, but I still hate it... lol It's so hard because it's really 100% you for the feeding... I know that I felt so guilty even thinking about switching, which is why I kept on going with it! 

So really my advice would be to take it day by day and I promise it will get easier, you may not ever love it.. I think the women who say they love it are liars lol  

• Ladies, do not feel guilty if you do not like breast feeding and want to switch to formula. We all know "breast is best" blah blah, but formula is good too. There is so much pressure to BF, but as one of the posters here said "don't confuse BFing with mothering." If you have negative feelings towards it and it is sucking your time then that IS a valid reason to switch. My cousin went through this same thing, almost depressed about her next nursing session. She made the switch and is so much happier. Happy mom= happy baby. Do what works for you and your baby. And remember, you breast fed them the first few weeks so they have already received your antibodies and everything, which is one of the biggest benefits.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • RoxZ32RoxZ32
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I felt the same way. I felt like I couldn't even run to the pharmacy because she'd have to eat in the 30 minutes I was gone. I was ready to give up and was feeling really guilty about it because I was excited about BF while I was pregnant. Everyone encouraged me to take it day by day and I'm glad I've stuck it out. My baby girl is 7 weeks now and our nursing sessions are much better! She has become so efficient at eating now so she only eats for 10-15minutes at the most and her feedings have spaced out to about 4-5hours so it's much more manageable. I didn't believe people when they said it will get better but they were right. If you still have a desire to continue BFing, take it one day at a time and know things will improve! :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • "Don't confuse bfing with mothering"

I love that. I bf dd for 5.5 weeks and hated it. She never took to latching I'm assuming because she was a preemie and so I EPed 4.5 of those weeks. I felt like a rock star while feeding her but knowing I would have to go pump for an hour after spending maybe 45 minutes to get her to go back to sleep was horrible. I was stressed out and cranky and looking back I did not even get to enjoy her right away. I was so nervous I would not have enough milk for the next feeding. We switched to formula a few days ago and things are great at home. I definitely still feel the guilt but I gave her the best I could for over a month and I feel awesome about that. It also didn't help that a week after she was born we has to go to the ER because of significant weight loss and temp drop after a few days of ebfing.  Anyway, it's not how I imagined feeding her but we are all happier. 

~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am right there with you, ladies.  I never liked it with DS six years ago, hated pumping even more - besides the tethered feeling, it was killing my back and neck and made me feel so inadequate when my supply was an issue.  This time is the same and I have a goal of making it to four months, a month after I return to work, but honestly, I'm not sure I can.  We just moved to a new house and I can't even unpack a box without having to stop to feed her.  The first four months of DS's life are all a blur for the same reason.  And there is absolutely no time to even think about exercise, so my body, especially at 44 years old, is not bouncing back to my PPW at all!!  Top it off with this plugged duct that is screamingly painful.  Just gotta take it one day at a time.  I've made it six weeks, I'm happy for that for sure...
    TTC#2 5+ yrs Me: 44 yrs DH: 34 yrs DS born 8/2007 MC 11/2008 (natural) MC 5/2011 (IVF) MC 12/20011 (IVF) BFP 9/2012!! (DE) EDD 5/25/2013 BabyFruit Ticker