Cloth Diapering

Build my stash now or wait?

I am really excited about CDing, but I am debating whether I should try a few out before buying a large stash. I am planning on using pockets, preferably Alva or Kawaii. What say you CDing experts? Did you start building your stashes before LO arrived or did you do a trial run first to make sure the CDs you like will work?

TIA!

Re: Build my stash now or wait?

• I bought my stash ahead of time. I never really considered CDing a "trial" just because I knew I could make it work. I would buy my stash (and take advantage of sales) while you're pregnant. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell them and get most of your money back.
                  imageimage
    Homebirthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, young mama to two beautiful babies
    and married to my best friend in the world.
    imageimage
  • image secondaryPULSE:
    I bought my stash ahead of time. I never really considered CDing a "trial" just because I knew I could make it work. I would buy my stash (and take advantage of sales) while you're pregnant. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell them and get most of your money back.

Same here.  I've been taking advantages of sales as they come up.  I have a really diverse stash of prefolds/flats/covers and pockets (different brands).  If a certain brand doesn't work for LO, I'll sell and buy more of what works.  

image imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    On our way to 2u2
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image AFwifelife:

image secondaryPULSE:
    I bought my stash ahead of time. I never really considered CDing a "trial" just because I knew I could make it work. I would buy my stash (and take advantage of sales) while you're pregnant. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell them and get most of your money back.

Same here.  I've been taking advantages of sales as they come up.  I have a really diverse stash of prefolds/flats/covers and pockets (different brands).  If a certain brand doesn't work for LO, I'll sell and buy more of what works.  

This is what I am doing as well. I have purchased a friends very gently used lot of GMD prefolds and newborn covers, Rumparooz. I will want more prefolds and plan on ordering another few dozen.
    I also just purchased 6 fuzziebuns pockets in mediums. Also very gently used. This way I'm not investing a ton at this point and we can feel out what works for us. I personally think I am mostly leaning towards prefolds and covers.
  • I did my research, went to a CD info session in my town, shopped around online, checked reviews, and asked people I knew personally who CD'd what it was like very early on in my pregnancy since I knew I wanted to do it. Then started to build my stash at around 22 weeks. I found it better to find sales (I got my CB and RaR on 2 for 1 sales), and find good deals on used ahead of time, and didn't want to rush.

Than after she was born I tried them all out, figured out which ones I loved, liked, and didn't like. Sold the ones I wanted to part with and bought more that suited her frame. We ended up liking Alvas because of her chunky-ness, and surprisingly didn't like BGs which are a big hit with a lot of people. They just didn't fit her right. Better to build your stash to differ the upfront cost then tweak it later to suit what fits your baby and lifestyle best.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I would buy a few like two of each or decide to do a trial. I would not buy a whol stash of something without trying it on my kid first unless I didn't have another option. I thought pockets sounded really cool when I was pg with DS and while I have a few and do use them I really dislike them and they would not get purchased again. I much prefer AI2's AIO's or even fitted to pockets. The stuffing is a pita imo. I assume you are planning to wait until baby is ready for one size daipers to start cloth? So you have almost 6 months to go before you will need them. And yes you can sell stuff that doesn't work for you but i have had a hard time doing that and it is a unnecessary pita and you don't get all of your money back so it is more expensive than just waiting and finding out what is right for you and then buying. There will be plenty of sales in the future to take advantage of.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • tmrchitmrchi
    500 Comments Second Anniversary
    I also bought a few of each brand to start along with some prefolds and covers.  I bought from Kelly's Closet whenever they had a good free diaper promo going on. Glad I did b/c what I ended up liking the most weren't on my radar when I was first buying things.  I was going to do mostly BGs AIOs and those have leaked for my skinny legged baby, so I'm glad I only bought a couple.  I'll try them out again once LO is a bit bigger.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • megpegmegpeg
    Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its

We bought 6 mostly alvas and Kawaiis and decided to do a trial with them after she was born and we were hooked after a couple days. We have been using them for around 4 weeks and love them. I like the Kawaiis best.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I waited, but only because our home was under renovation and we knew that our occupancy date was going to be very close to our due date. And DH was overwhelmed with everything that needed to be done, so I agreed to wait until we were back into the house before adding CDs to the mix.

We ended up doing the NB diaper trial with Jillian's Drawers and then built our stash from there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  image
  • Build away.

I will say I've probably sold or traded most of what I started with. But I've found that what I like changes frequently. Plus it's like an addictive hobby.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've started mine. I don't really have a local store that sells cloth diapers so I will either have to travel or order. I'm hoping to find a few out of my stash that I like that will hold me over until I get more. Or maybe I won't hate any of my stash and I won't really need too many more. We will see.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I've already started building for number 2. My stash is mostly BG 4.0s for DS now. I've decided to try out some prefolds, flats, and covers this time. I am buying a little at a time so I don't blow a whole months budget on CDs! It is also a fun way to spend my time searching for deals and sales. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I bought 36 infant prefolds and a variety of covers, also a few pockets to try. I used the prefolds for about 12 weeks then built up my pocket stash. I'm glad I waited because I changed my mind quite often about which pocket I liked best.
  • I did a lot of research and bought all my newborn stash (prefolds, fitteds and AIOs to try a bit of everything). I bought 1-3 of a bunch of one size pockets and bought more of what I liked once they started fitting. I also bought a range of pockets based on reviews on size, so some fit at birth, others fit at 2 months but go much larger. Hopefully this will keep me from having to replace a whole stash at any point. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't commit to just one brand now, but maybe pick up a few here or there.  We bought a TON of gDiaper stuff before DD was born and hated them, so we ended up selling that and buying others.  There were brands that fit much better than others on her.  She was VERY tall and skinny.  Only a few brands could get that small around her little thighs, but reach up high enough to her belly button.  We tried out and bought diapers after she was born and it wasn't crazy stressful or anything.  It was fun and there was still time to get things done.  

That being said, you could always get some staples like wet bags, cloth wipes, detergent, etc.  Good luck!

DD #1 Eva- born April 10, 2011

DD #2 Violet- born October 4, 2013