3rd Trimester

Putting baby in a crib in their own room from day 1?

I have seen so many posts about keeping baby in the parent's room, but few about keeping the baby in a crib from day 1?  Is anyone planning on doing this?  Has anyone successfully done this?  Do you regret your decision if you did this?  We had planned on keeping the baby in a pack and play next to our bed for the first few months, but after talking with some co-workers and friends I am questioning if this is the right thing to do.  I am considering keeping the baby in his own crib/room from day 1.  His room is next to ours and we have a video monitor.  I am curious if anyone else has done this or will be doing this, your experience, and your reasoning.  Thanks in advance!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Putting baby in a crib in their own room from day 1?

• We are keeping lo in our room with us but it is because we are currently in a 2 bedroom apartment and dd1 is in the other bedroom. If lo's room is right next to you and you are comfortable getting up at night to get them I don't see an issue with it. A lot of people do it for the convenience of nursing and there are also studies that show having the baby in with the parents room reduces the risk of Sids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image adamnkel:
    We are keeping lo in our room with us but it is because we are currently in a 2 bedroom apartment and dd1 is in the other bedroom. If lo's room is right next to you and you are comfortable getting up at night to get them I don't see an issue with it. A lot of people do it for the convenience of nursing and there are also studies that show having the baby in with the parents room reduces the risk of Sids.

Our situation is similar, we're doing the pack n play option in our room until he can sleep through most of the night and not wake up SD who he will be sharing a room with.  At first I just wanted to start him in his own crib from night 1, but I also read about the reduction of SIDS so it furthered my decision to have him in the pnp for a few months.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• We are keeping our LO in an arms reach cosleeper in our room for the first few months. We will see how it goes. Ive done a lot of research, and i feel that this is the best decision for Us. I wouldn't change your mind just because some coworkers told you to not do it. Do what you think is the best for your family. 

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • 2 weeks in our room then the crib.
    imageimagephoto proudEPer2.gif
          BFP #1: 7/18/12, M/C 8/6/12 @6weeks  Missing our April Angel
                                           Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I say plan all you want. It might not end up the way you planned it. 
    imageimage
    imageimage

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Our LO will be in a crib from day 1, because we're in a 1 bedroom and there's nowhere else! My mom was hassling me about we HAVE to get a bassinet because its so convenient having the baby right by the bed blah blah blah. I'm like umm the crib is literally 2 feet away from my side of the bed.

People keep the baby in their room the first couple months for convenience, because the baby wakes up to feed a lot. BFing a baby in your room is much easier because you don't have to fully wake up to grab them and latch them on. So it's all about convenience. If you don't need the convenience, don't do it! Simple as that.

If you find you wish the baby was closer at night after they're born, just buy a bassinet or PnP when you actually need it. With Amazon Prine you can have this stuff delivered in no time! Which eases a lot of my anxiety about what we might need.... I'm starting with no stroller. But if we decide we need one... Amazon! Takes the pressure off to have ALL OF THE THINGS before baby arrives.
  • image PrimRoseMama:
    I say plan all you want. It might not end up the way you planned it. 

Yup this.

image image

• We did it last time with LO when we got home.  But his room is literally across the hall from ours, so it's really not that far.  I guess it depends on your situation, and whatever works for you.  We never really thought about it, we just did it.  ::shrugs::
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm keeping my daughter in the room with me at least the few months (in a pack in play or bassinet probably) but what is right for one person isn't necessarily what is right for another. if you want to keep your baby in the crib in his/her own room from day 1 then that's what you should do. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• image PrimRoseMama:
    I say plan all you want. It might not end up the way you planned it.nbsp;

Exactly.

• You'll get much more sleep if the baby is in your room. And you will need all the sleep you can get in those first few weeks. Trust me. If you are planning on breastfeeding, simply sleeping in the same room as your LO will help your supply but it will also be easier to feed them. Even if you choose to formula feed. It's also best for baby to sleep in the same room as their parents. The AAP (I believe it's the AAP) reccomends room sharing (not bed sharing) as a part of SIDS prevention along with offering a pacifier,not sleeping with bumpers or blankets,ect.

Honestly, I have known 3 people that tried putting LO in their own room from day 1 and none of then succeded. But it's possible you will. Everyone is different.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image                      

• Prior to having the baby, DH and I had said we would put her in the crib because it is right next to our room and we have a great video monitor. The very first night home from the hospital we had her sleep in bed with us with a cosleeper i got at my baby shower. I hardly slept a wink because i was worried she wasnt breathing. The following 2 nights she slept in the pack n play in our room. Same thing, no sleep. By night 4 we were like, ok its time to make use of that crib! She now sleeps in her crib at night and sometimes around 6 am i bring her in our room because i unfortunately have been finishing up grad school and have spent very little time with my daughter so the only bonding i get is when we sleep together. Go with whatever works for you. I just don't want our LO to get accustomed to sleeping with us. Knock wood, she sleeps  A LOT and she'll sleep anywhere you put her. She will be watched by my in laws when i return to work in 3 months so i want her to get used to different sleeping locations. HTH!
  • We went crib from day 1 and really appreciate the fact that we did. 

On the first night we attempted to have her in our room but she sounded like a farm animal when she slept. Neither my husband or I could get any rest so we put her in the crib. 

2 years later...never had a single problem with it. She's slept with us on vacation and once in our bed at home over the past two years.

I think it benefited us in the long run.  

image image image  

Five_Letters User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.

• We bought two cribs. LOs room is across the house as we are in a split floor plan so I wanted her in our room at night. My parents bought a full furniture set for her room and we purchased an Ikea crib for our room. I figure she will be with us for four to six months and then will move to her room full time. I am going to make a point to sleep LO in her room for naps during the day so that she gets used to it and then the permanent transition will be easier. I also plan to BF but more than that SIDS prevention recommendations influenced my choice to have her in our room.
  • image benjaminsmommy16:

You'll get much more sleep if the baby is in your room. And you will need all the sleep you can get in those first few weeks. Trust me. If you are planning on breastfeeding, simply sleeping in the same room as your LO will help your supply but it will also be easier to feed them. 

I completely disagree with everything stated here. I breastfed and had my daughter in her crib since day 1. I couldn't sleep with her in my room due to how noisy she was.

What works for one person, doesn't work for others. The above statement is definitely not true for everyone. Wait and see, it's easy to course correct once the baby is here.  

image image image  

Five_Letters User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.

• This is our third child and it will go directly in a crib in its own bed on night one just like it's older brothers. Most of my friends have done the same thing, and I didn't realize how popular keeping the baby in your room was until I read this thread. For us, it works. We sleep great and we don't have to go through a possible difficult transition putting the baby into a crib later on. I nurse, and I don't find it disrupting to our routine to have the baby in another room. My husband goes and gets the baby, does the diaper change and then brings the baby to me to nurse in bed.
    Hawaii
  • I say it is diff for everyone and you will know what works or you really fast! DS went into his own crib from day 1 and it was perfect for us, room is not far from ours, I stumbled in, changed, fed, re-swaddled DS and he went right back to sleep....never had and issue with night/day confusion *knock on wood* for #2! We will do the same with this one. The decision was based on my light sleeping (infants make A LOT of noise in their sleep) and I hear it all.... I keep monitor on low because of it. Also due to DH's early alarm/wake time, I didn't want it/him waking up LO.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image ghostof5letters:
    image benjaminsmommy16:

You'll get much more sleep if the baby is in your room. And you will need all the sleep you can get in those first few weeks. Trust me. If you are planning on breastfeeding, simply sleeping in the same room as your LO will help your supply but it will also be easier to feed them. 

I completely disagree with everything stated here. I breastfed and had my daughter in her crib since day 1. I couldn't sleep with her in my room due to how noisy she was.

What works for one person, doesn't work for others. The above statement is definitely not true for everyone. Wait and see, it's easy to course correct once the baby is here.  

I agree, i sleep less when LO is in the room with us.

• Lots of people plan to do this.

Mmm hmm. Lots of plans.

• I am planning to do daytime naps/sleep in her crib in the nursery from day 2 to get her used to sleeping there. At night I'll have her in a portable crib by our bed. 

If she is super noisy (like a farm animal as some people have said), I may put her in her own room between feedings at night too. DH and I have already talked about him sleeping in another room sometimes so that we aren't both totally sleep deprived. We will see how it goes. 

At any rate, I plan to have her in her own room in the crib with fewer feedings at 3 or 4 months.

• EmR22EmR22
    250 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper First Answer
    image ssemovsk:
    image ghostof5letters:
    image benjaminsmommy16:

I agree, i sleep less when LO is in the room with us.

I agree. We tried my DD in our room for one night and no one slept. Each noise, snuffle, whine kept us awake. She then moved to her crib in her room down the hall. We also didn't have a monitor. She let us know when she was hungry just fine. 

Like everything else there are a million way to do it. Try one out and go from there. Good luck! 

• image PrimRoseMama:

This.  We had planned on having DD in our room from day one, but she was such a noisy sleeper and just awful sleeper, that we moved her day 2 to her room.  It was fine and she is a happy 5 year old today.

My best advice is that you have to be flexible and see what works for your baby and family. 

LilySlim - (VMOr)

• image rissa06:

image PrimRoseMama:

This.  We had planned on having DD in our room from day one, but she was such a noisy sleeper and just awful sleeper, that we moved her day 2 to her room.  It was fine and she is a happy 5 year old today.

My best advice is that you have to be flexible and see what works for your baby and family. 

All of this. We PLANNED on having DD1 in our room for at least 6 months. I lasted all of 4 weeks and NEEDED my space back so that I could rest! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We kept dd in her own crib n her own room which was right next to ours right from the beginning. It worked wonderfully. No problems and no regrets. There were a few nights that I did bring her to bed with us because I was so tired but DH was so afraid he would roll over and squish her that it didn't happen very often.  You need to do what ever you feel comfortable with, and whatever keeps you sane. Good luck!

Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • image princessvespa1:
    We did it last time with LO when we got home.  But his room is literally across the hall from ours, so it's really not that far.  I guess it depends on your situation, and whatever works for you.  We never really thought about it, we just did it.  ::shrugs::

This. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a FTM but my mom had my sister and I in our own cribs in our own rooms from day 1. It worked for her so its not impossible. I'm definitely waiting until LO gets here to see what I will do but I would prefer him to be in his own room so DH and I can sleep in our bed together. DH needs sleep so he can fly the next day so if I'm cosleeping then DH will be sleeping in the guest bedroom.
    image imageimage

On our way to 2u2
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DS spent one night in our room and then went to his crib. He was a noisy sleeper and kept us up the entire night. You'll figure out pretty quickly what works for you. It certainly doesn't hurt to know what you would like to do ahead of time.

You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have a split wing and LO's room is right next to the extra bedroom with our old queen bed in it, so DH and I are planning on just sleeping in there for the first few months. Honestly, I'm actually kinda stoked about it....I live our Cal King, but the topper on the old bed is soooooo comfy....

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• We're planning on putting her in the crib right away. Certainly things don't always go according to plan, but as our bedroom is about 10 feet away and we have a monitor I don't think it'll be an issue.

imageimageimage

• We had a very different experience the first time, with preemie twins and their issues.  However, I still did not have them in the same room with me and I was breastfeeding.  I just could not get sleep when they were in the room with me (We tried having my daughter sleep with us when she first came home but neither of us slept), so they were in a twin bassinette/pack n' play in another room while other people were helping us care for them and then in their cribs in their own room.  We are setting up a crib in our room this time, but that's b/c of the lack of room in our house.  If we had an extra room for baby right now, he'd be starting out in his crib in his own room.  Now I just have to wait until he can sleep through the night and won't wake one of the other kids.   

Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage