December 2012 Moms

Ugh... cinnamon allergy

So, I've been making all DD's food and doing primarily purees (lots of food allergies in the family) but I got a couple of the Plum Organics pouches for when we are out. Well, one of them had cinnamon added (I think the squash just veggies one?), so I figured I'd try out cinnamon with something she had already had first (sweet potatoes) and I'm glad I did. She got a bright red rash all around her mouth within minutes of eating it and was sucking on her bottom lip furiously. Fortunately, she doesn't really like sweet potatoes and cinnamon apparently didn't make her like them more, so she didn't actually swallow much. I called the nurseline and they said just to keep an eye on her and give Benadryl if it got worse or get her to ER if she was having trouble breathing. Fortunately, it seemed to all resolve itself about an hour later. Poor thing :( I guess we won't be trying cinnamon again for a while... Anyone know what the chances are that she will grow out of it? I'll ask at her 9 month appt, but that is almost 3 months away...

Re: Ugh... cinnamon allergy

• Poor baby!

I would check out the food allergy board. From what I have heard they are great and would be able to answer any questions that you had.

Ivy: July 10  |  Stella: Dec 12

• Good idea! I forgot there was one...
  • DD2 had a milk, egg, peanut/tree nut, and wheat sensitivity at 10 months. We discovered after she stole DD1's milk cup and broke out in hives. We took her to a pediatric allergist where they did a 'scratch test' and we discovered the above. 

When I look back, she had a lot of skin issues (excema) we apparently if often linked to food allergies.  

We found out later she could eat cooked milk products (i.e. if milk was in something like cakes she was fine) and some baked egg too (not scrambled). First her wheat sensitivity disappeared. Then at 2.5 we did a milk challenge at the local Children's Hospital. She consumed yogurt and drank cow's milk in a controlled setting and remained for two hours post for latent reactions. She passed this, and just this past November passed her egg challenge.

Our allergist won't do peanuts/tree nut challenges until 5 or older.

If it is a food allergy, it's not the end of the world. You learn quickly how to change what you eat and learn to really examine products.

Because of DD2's allergies, we are waiting for milk products until 9 months w/DD3.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Did the puree get on her skin?  I remember with DD and the little girl I used to babysit for if they got cinnamon around their mouths it would turn red and irritated.  But would disappear within an hour or so.  It wasn't an allergy, it's just that cinnamon is kind of spicy and bothered their skin.  Maybe that's what's going on? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • kimskikimski
    Ancient Membership 500 Comments 5 Love Its

image sschwege:
    Did the puree get on her skin?  I remember with DD and the little girl I used to babysit for if they got cinnamon around their mouths it would turn red and irritated.  But would disappear within an hour or so.  It wasn't an allergy, it's just that cinnamon is kind of spicy and bothered their skin.  Maybe that's what's going on? 

this exactly is what happened with our first. Now that  she's older we don't have as much of an issue. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image sschwege:
    Did the puree get on her skin?  I remember with DD and the little girl I used to babysit for if they got cinnamon around their mouths it would turn red and irritated.  But would disappear within an hour or so.  It wasn't an allergy, it's just that cinnamon is kind of spicy and bothered their skin.  Maybe that's what's going on? 

It did get on her skin, so I'm hoping that is all it is. The nurse that I talked with called the doctor and they said hopefully its just a contact allergy but to avoid letting her have any in case it isn't. I'm hoping even if it is a normal allergy that she will outgrow it. :/ Cinnamon is delicious and that would just be highly disappointing :(

• image sschwege:

This exactly. DD had this problem early on and it cleared up fine. Cinnamon is extremely caustic, so their sensitive baby skin can react easier.  

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers