May 2013 Moms

6 week sleep schedule? 6 week feeding schedule?

Hello.

My DD is almost 6 weeks old. Her nighttime sleep is completely inconsistent. Sometimes she sleeps only 3 hours and sometimes she sleeps 5 - just depends on the night. Unfortunately, she is often up for the day at 5am. From what I have read, 6 weeks old is some magical age when babies should start sleeping longer. 

Has anyone tried implementing a sleep schedule at 5-6 weeks? What time do you put your LO down for bed?  

Also - DD eats roughly 3.5oz of BM or formula every 3 hours. Just wondering what all of the other babies are doing. 

Lastly - side note - DD still hasn't socially smiled - is that "normal?" 

TTC Since January 2011 Clomid - 3 cycles - BFN IVF Cycle #1 - 27 eggs, 0 fertilized - cycle cancelled ICSI Cycle #2 - 18 eggs, 16 fertilized - BFP (miscarriage at 5 weeks) FET Cycle #3 - transferred 2 - BFP - TWINS! (lost one twin at 8 weeks)

Re: 6 week sleep schedule? 6 week feeding schedule?

• We have a three hour routine during the day for our four week old and cross our fingers for longer stretches at night (hasn't happened yet) but used the Baby Whisperer EASY routine with our first and it was wonderful. she started sleeping eight hour stretches at six weeks and went down for bedtime easily and I believe the routine played a huge role.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • On the social smiling, mine hasn't really given a big smile. It's perfectly normal. My DD did the same thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Rachel is also eating about 3.5 oz every three hours.  She will sometimes give us a longer stretch of sleep at night but it's not consistent at all.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My pedi said you cannot expect to have a schedule til about 3 mo.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My son is 6 weeks and in somewhat if a schedule. Bed at 9 wakes up between 11:30 12:30 , 2:30 3 then 5 6:30. Eats 4 oz about 2 3 hours.
    We haven't gotten the social
    Smile yet either. It's usually when he first wakes up in the morning. If we're lucky it's he'll do it later in the day.
  • DS is 6 weeks 2 days. LO try to get him down by 9 pm. He awakes anywhere between 11:30 and 2 an, then again between 3 and 4 to eat. He then wakes up aroun 5:30 and we snuggle and nap until 6:30 ish.

DS is beginning to smle socially.

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• delinodelino member
    DD will be 6 weeks tomorrow. She goes to bed around 7 or 8, typically 8ish. We do a warm bath then swaddle either fully or undone depending on her mood. Then it's bottle while rocking and I sing 'hush little baby' while I burp and then rock her to sleep or at least drowsy. Then put her into her crib and finish her swaddle if necessary. She's been sttn until 5am for almost a week now. She eats about 3oz in a sitting. Sometimes she wants more and sometimes she doesn't finish that.

ETA...we get a smile or two out of her just about every day.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lurking here but my LO is 6 weeks 2 days and she is not a schedule. She feeds around 6pm and then again 9pm ,12:30, 4:30. She takes 4oz at each feeding. In the daytime she eats every 2.5 to 3 hours. She has not socially smiled yet either. I do plan to start a schedule soon tho. Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedelino:
    DD will be 6 weeks tomorrow. She goes to bed around 7 or 8, typically 8ish. We do a warm bath then swaddle either fully or undone depending on her mood. Then it's bottle while rocking and I sing 'hush little baby' while I burp and then rock her to sleep or at least drowsy. Then put her into her crib and finish her swaddle if necessary. She's been sttn until 5am for almost a week now. She eats about 3oz in a sitting. Sometimes she wants more and sometimes she doesn't finish that. ETA...we get a smile or two out of her just about every day.

This is similar to what we've been doing since a little before 6 weeks.  His sleep is still VERY inconsistent.  We put him down a little before 9:00 and he sometimes wakes at midnight but mostly goes all the way until 5-6.  He will usually go back to sleep until 8-9.  I think the little nighttime routine is what makes the difference.  As far as feeding schedule, I still feed him on demand but he's slowly making his own little "schedule" where he eats more frequently in the evening before going to bed.  I am not going to withhold food from him just for the sake of feeding every X amount of hours and to hear him scream when he's hungry.  Going in, I thought I'd be more strict a la Babywise, but the entire purpose of BW is to get those long stretches of sleep, which he's doing on his own.   

For smiles, it was around 6 weeks that he started smiling with more ease.  Before that it was one here and there and by now, 8+ weeks, we can usually get some big ones in the morning.  It's been in the last couple of weeks and with a lot of interaction where we get pretty close to his little face.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"