February 2013 Moms

Feel so blessed

Sorry to be a PW today.

I feel so blessed to have a MIL who is an occupational therapist for special needs kids. She is such an awesome reference. Anytime I have a developmental concern I can ask her and I know she keeps an eye on my kids development.

I've noticed that although DD can hold herself up, Johnny jump up, exersaucer.... When she relaxes she always slouches to the same side. MIL is going to help me keep an eye on it. It is so nice to not have to worry and guess.
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Feel so blessed

• I thought you were gonna talk about how l33t your baby is Wink 

That is a really great resource. I didn't realize slouching to the side could be a problem?  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper

That is awesome, got to love having professionals related!

ETA for the life of me I can't figure out what l33t is?!? Must be an inside joke :) Chances are it is something really self explanatory haha!

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • image Sagen:
    That is awesome, got to love having professionals related!nbsp;ETA for the life of me I can't figure out what l33t is?!? Must be an inside joke : Chances are it is something really self explanatory haha!

You would know all about having professionals in the family! And I don't know what l33t is either, lol.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Runaway22:
    I thought you were gonna talk about how l33t your baby is [;]nbsp;That is a really great resource. I didn't realize slouching to the side could be a problem? nbsp;

I'm fairly certain it's a problem if they have side dominance and one side becomes stronger then the other, and ligaments shorten on the other side.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image Runaway22:
    I thought you were gonna talk about how l33t your baby is Wink

That is a really great resource. I didn't realize slouching to the side could be a problem?

I'm fairly certain it's a problem if they have side dominance and one side becomes stronger then the other, and ligaments shorten on the other side.

Yikes! 

l33t is a shortened version of "elite" (gamer speak). I was being snarky Embarrassed

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's awesome!  I definitely use my teacher/special ed/OT skills at home.

I feel like my little man is a bit right-side dominant.  Not too badly, but he definitely tends to slouch that way more often than to the other side. 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• image DC2London:
    That's awesome! nbsp;I definitely use my teacher/special ed/OT skills at home.I feel like my little man is a bit rightside dominant. nbsp;Not too badly, but he definitely tends to slouch that way more often than to the other side.nbsp;

I bet you do!

As a high school teacher, it will take a little longer for my skills to come in handy. Although I'm going to be one of the few parents that can help their kid with all their homework, even upper level math and science. My kids will have no excuses.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Runaway22:

image Teacher Clark:
    image Runaway22:
    I thought you were gonna talk about how l33t your baby is Wink

Yikes! 

l33t is a shortened version of "elite" (gamer speak). I was being snarky Embarrassed

Well of course my child is a genius, that goes without saying :::insert smiley:::
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • As a parent of a special needs kid who has spent several years working on OT, I will say that one sided dominance can lead to problems later in life.  It doesn't always, but it is good to keep an eye on it.  DS3 has favored one side too and our chiropractor has been a huge help.  He now uses both sides almost evenly.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w