August 2012 Moms

Road Trip WWA12D?

We (me, DH, DSS1&2, DS and our dog) were supposed to drive to BC on Saturday morning to go visit DH's sister until Wednesday. This is the Canada Day long weekend so we were hoping that traffic wouldn't be as bad on Saturday b/c most people would likely leave Friday for the mountains. With all of the devastating flooding we have had recently, parts of the Trans-Canada Highway were washed away 90 mintues west of Calgary. Right now they have opened one lane in each direction between Canmore and Banff (12km stretch) and the speed limit is 60km/hr instead of 100km/hr. They say to expect delays b/c they are still repairing the road etc.

Our road trip is 6 hours non-stop but with this delay who knows how much longer it will take. Would you go?

TTC since May 2010
BFP#1 12/12/10  EDD 08/17/11  MM/C and D&C 01/21/11 
BFP#2 11/25/11  EDD 08/09/12
Baby Boy wanted to arrive early (35w6d) on 07/07/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Road Trip WWA12D?

• Hell to the no. But that is a beautiful drive, so maybe that will help pass the time?
    My Blog: Toronto Mama
  • Becc77Becc77
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, but mainly because my kid still hates the carseat with a passion. I have only taken a 45 minute "road trip" and that alone convinced me that there will be no more.
  • sosophsosoph
    2500 Comments 250 Answers Third Anniversary 25 Love Its
    No. I took a trip with the kids last month - a diesel tanker overturned and the backup was awful.  unless there's a scenic route you could take, I'd do something else with the time off.
  • Oh my goodness, not a chance!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If it's anything like holiday weekend traffic here in the states [at least in my state] traffic is still crummy on Saturdays. I'd be reluctant to go. I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with how everyone will fare on the trip. I would personally want to be totally confidant that no major meltdowns would happen and there would have to be some good spots to stop and rest for a few minutes or for feedings.

• Absolutely not.
    CYTOTEC SURVIVOR 2012
    South Beach v1.0: Never Forget
    MOTHER EFFING DANDELIONS!!!
    Mini-Pretzel -- born August 13, 2012
    Oops! We Did It Again! -- born January 7, 2014
  • BPawsBPaws
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    I would definitely not go!!

Agh! That drive sucks normally, but with extra traffic from the holiday AND the floor and now this tanker train that may blow up? I'd say avoid it... At all costs!!!!!!!!!

Team Green Due Date; July 14th 2014

Heinrich turns 2; August 5th 2012

Labour Buddy Threesome; Cakebatter27 & Shanaynerz

• Thanks girls. I'm definitely leaning towards not going but I know DH really wants to go. He's working 5 13hr nights in a row this week and was looking forward to the "vacation". I'm the only driver too which make it more of an issue for me. I really don't want to have Sid sit through that long of a drive.

TTC since May 2010
    BFP#1 12/12/10  EDD 08/17/11  MM/C and D&C 01/21/11 
    BFP#2 11/25/11  EDD 08/09/12
    Baby Boy wanted to arrive early (35w6d) on 07/07/12