February 2013 Moms

Cat naps = better night sleep

DD1 was always a crappy napper, only taking a few cat naps during the day, but she was always a great night sleeper, only waking up once at night and going right back to sleep.

DD2 was also a cat napper and STTN about 3 or 4 nights a week. That all stopped a few weeks back when she started waking every 2 to 3 hours at night and taking forever to get back to sleep. At this same time she started having a 3 hour nap each afternoon.

She just started going back to cat napping and not taking a long afternoon nap, and wouldn't ya know it, she's sleeping better at night. She was up once last night and went right back to bed!

Anyone else have a similar experience?
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Cat naps = better night sleep

• Yup! In theory I'd love for DD to take longer naps, but if any of her naps are more than an hour, she seems to wake up more at night.
  • We do! DS usually takes 4 cat naps a day, about 30 minutes. When he does, he only wakes up once at night and his first stretch of sleep is 6 hours or more. When he takes a longer nap, he usually wakes up twice, and his first stretch of sleep is between 4-5 hours. I don't wake him if he's taking a longer one, but at least I know what kind of night I'm generally in for.
    View Full Size Imageimage

• I'm beginning to see that trend with DS! For the longest time his short naps were freaking me out, but whenever I panic that I'll be up all night he ends up doing great! 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I could have posted this exact same thing! Although I miss the longer naps, I do enjoy the sleep at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are the opposite.  When she takes 2 to 3 hour naps she sleeps better at night.  The days when she barely sleeps she's a mess at night--I think because she's overtired. 
  • Yup, at some point, sleep does not beget sleep and they reach their daily requirement. Mine keeps waking up earlier and earlier. I think I need to cut back on her napping or deal with the 5:30 a.m. wake up. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is why the healthy sleep habit book gets on my nerves.  The guy makes us think all our babies should be sleeping all night and most of the day.  I finally stopped stressing over it.  No offense if you love the book.

• image carriesu2003:

This is why the healthy sleep habit book gets on my nerves.  The guy makes us think all our babies should be sleeping all night and most of the day.  I finally stopped stressing over it.  No offense if you love the book.

I'm totally with you on that! After I read the book I actually started a thread about my frustrations with it. I hate the part that's like "even if your baby is happy they still may be overtired and will turn into a hyperactive criminal." I'm just paraphrasing here. :P 

• image carriesu2003:

This is why the healthy sleep habit book gets on my nerves.  The guy makes us think all our babies should be sleeping all night and most of the day.  I finally stopped stressing over it.  No offense if you love the book.

I'm totally with you on that! After I read the book I actually started a thread about my frustrations with it. I hate the part that's like "even if your baby is happy they still may be overtired and will turn into a hyperactive criminal." I'm just paraphrasing here. :P 

• I never thought of it that way. Ds takes 4 30 min naps and day. He sleeps great at night. When he was sleeping longer for naps he was getting up early.