Working Moms

Vent: I am not a girl

OH in the office: where did that other girl move to?

I am not a girl. I am a grown woman. I would never describe one of my male coworkers as a boy.

Argh.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Vent: I am not a girl

• Angry I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN! I am sourrounded by literally NOTHING BUT GAY MEN. I am always discriminated against and referred to as "the Breeder". I would take "girl" any day over some of the crap i hear here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • image Sparks in training!:

Angry I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN! I am sourrounded by literally NOTHING BUT GAY MEN. I am always discriminated against and referred to as "the Breeder". I would take "girl" any day over some of the crap i hear here.

OK, I was already annoyed about "girl" because I hate that, but "the Breeder" put me over the edge.  I would go off on someone!

• Ok well I will dissent here and say I wouldn't get pearl-clutchy over someone calling me a girl.

Now, I would flip my sh!t if someone called me "the breeder".

***Parenting Siggy Challenge***
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • I disagree.  I am 28 and still think of myself as a girl.  I tend to say guys and girls rather than men and women.  I like to think I'm still young. 

I've had the 16yr old lifeguards at our pool refer to me as "Mame" and I wanted to flip out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I hate even more is to be called a "female". Female is an adjective, not a noun!
  • I had a really douchey coworker who used to send emails that opened with "Ladies," if he were emailing two or more women.

I always wanted to respond, "Thanks, gentleman."

I hated him for other reasons but that didn't help.
  • rvascrvasc
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper

image Nechie122:
    I had a really douchey coworker who used to send emails that opened with "Ladies," if he were emailing two or more women. I always wanted to respond, "Thanks, gentleman." I hated him for other reasons but that didn't help.

Hmmm. I think ladies is ok, but maybe it's one of those things that is only ok from another woman?

I used "girl" well into my twenties until I made a friend who always used "women," and I finally decided to embrace my womanhood. I am a grown woman. I don't use "girl," but it doesn't really bother me, especially from other women. Now, when men use the word "girl," it bugs me a little bit.

• LoCarbLoCarb
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    image *sparky*:
    image Sparks in training!:

Angry I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN! I am sourrounded by literally NOTHING BUT GAY MEN. I am always discriminated against and referred to as "the Breeder". I would take "girl" any day over some of the crap i hear here.

OK, I was already annoyed about "girl" because I hate that, but "the Breeder" put me over the edge.  I would go off on someone!

Bwhahaha! Sry, I got a good LOL out of the breeder!

Mommy of two girls: DD1 4/14/9 DD2 4/15/11
  • image RVASC811:

image Nechie122:
    I had a really douchey coworker who used to send emails that opened with "Ladies," if he were emailing two or more women.

Hmmm. I think ladies is ok, but maybe it's one of those things that is only ok from another woman?

I used "girl" well into my twenties until I made a friend who always used "women," and I finally decided to embrace my womanhood. I am a grown woman. I don't use "girl," but it doesn't really bother me, especially from other women. Now, when men use the word "girl," it bugs me a little bit.

No, it was so demeaning. "Ladies, I found a typo in this deliverable and you know how unprofessional that is. Please be more careful next time." He was the worst.

I also hate when people other than DD call me "Mom" to get my attention, as if it's my name. You're my kid's nurse/teacher/photographer; you're not my child! My name is on the chart/form/bill. Or just call me Mrs. LastName. DH thinks I'm crazy for that one but it still irks me.
  • My boss make a conscious effort to say women instead of girls.  It's really awkward because it's like he thinks "girls", but mentally corrects himself to use "women".  I'd rather he just say girls and had an natural conversation instead of the stilted trying too hard ones.

The males in our office are usually referred to as boys or guys, but very rarely men. 

• Girl ranks up there with "females".  I hate when I hear a man talk about "females".  Can't you say "women"?
    ****siggy warning***

DH and me... both 34... Married since 6/11
    DX: Endometriosis, Anovulation, Down to one ovary and tube since 2/14
    TTC #1 since 4//11, Lap 9/11, Two rounds of Clomid = BFP 12/11 = Healthy beautiful baby boy born via c/s 8/21/12
    TTC #2 since 5/14... no luck yet, going the natural route until spring 2015

One of my straight-but-single girlfriends refers to those of us who have kids/are pregnant as "breeders".   I know she means it as a joke, so it doesn't bother me (she spoils her friends' kids anyway).  But if someone said it to me in a derogatory fashion then I would be annoyed.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    [:] I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN! I am sourrounded by literally NOTHING BUT GAY MEN. I am always discriminated against and referred to as "the Breeder". I would take "girl" any day over some of the crap i hear here.

That is terrible. Seriously, I don't think I could tolerate that.
  • I'd much rather be called a girl than 'maam' or 'lady'. Please, don't treat me like I'm 60.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• I wouldn't stand for the use of any of these reallyexcept for maybe Ladies (if used in a nice way)

The worst I ever got was "Kiddo" from a floor supervisor whe I was working as a co-op student in my mid 20's.... The first time I nicely reminded him of my name. The second time he used it I told him point blank that he would stop doing so and address me using my first name, or he would earn himself atrip to the HR director's office.

Needless to say it didn't happen again, and oddly enough all the other men on the floor seemed to show me a bit more respect for putting him in his place.

• We were on the record one time in a depo and this old attorney was talking about "my girl" this... and "my girl..." that...only he didn't realize we were on the record.  He, of course, was talking about his secretary. When I read it back, it sounded so inappropriate that it was actually comical.

I get sweatheart and sweetie a lot, too.

And I've been asked to get men coffee before...assuming I was a secretary and not an attorney.  I just blow it off.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • image Nechie122:
    I had a really douchey coworker who used to send emails that opened with "Ladies," if he were emailing two or more women. I always wanted to respond, "Thanks, gentleman." I hated him for other reasons but that didn't help.

Um, I don't think this is a big deal.  If I am e-mailing a group of men and women, I will title it "Ladies and Gentlemen,  ......."

• image theresat858:
    I'd much rather be called a girl than 'maam' or 'lady'. Please, don't treat me like I'm 60.

Maybe it's because I was raised to call pretty much all women ma'am, but this doesn't bother me. I would rather be over respected than under, personally.
  • image laurakaz13:

image Nechie122:
    I had a really douchey coworker who used to send emails that opened with "Ladies," if he were emailing two or more women.

Um, I don't think this is a big deal.  If I am e-mailing a group of men and women, I will title it "Ladies and Gentlemen,  ......."

That's different somehow.

But I'm willing to concede the point that maybe he just rubbed me the wrong way.
  • It usually is a derogatory manner. I manage a high rise building in a gay district area. You all would have gone crazy if you would have heard the remarks about "Corp office LETTING a pregnant women in this GAY BUIDLING"- Someone actually was that appauld that I was pregnant.

I just laughed it off and said "if it wasn't for BREEDERS, you wouldnt be here"

On that note...TGIF!! Big Smile

You just gotta love people and use that for laughs....im sure we all have stories that would make the best TV!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I also hate being called a girl.  Especially by old men.  I also hate being called any term of affection by people I don't know.  "What can I get ya sweetie?"  

I often address e-mails to more than one guy to "Gentlemen," so being addressed as a lady wouldn't bother me.

Female is both a noun and an adjective.  I think it is weird to refer to someone as a female though.  It makes me think of a cop show.  "The suspect is a 5'9" female." 

• I get it esp in the workplace but I vividly remember when I was about 24 and a friend of mine in graduate school who was closer to 30 (just an FYI I'm 38 now so not saying 30 is old LOL) said something to me like, what was the name of the woman I met at your apartment? I was like huh? what woman? She was referring to my roommate...

I think I probably started thinking of myself and my peer group in age as 'women' more toward my later 20s...

But it is also different when coming from a male coworker I would think. And I find ladies irritating too but probably only in certain contexts and from certain ppl. 

Off topic: You live in Belmont?! Me too....small world lol Sorry i got excited because I never seen any by me haha

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards