Babies: 0 - 3 Months

cosleeping

Where do you stand? We bought an arms reach, but she is just not into it. We tried putting her in the carseat in the bassinet but that only works sometimes. Dh is away this week for work and I've tried cosleeping the past 2 nights. She and I have never slept better. She still wakes up every few hours to eat, but it's peaceful little noises instead of crying.

I try to keep the pillows and blankets out of the way, but I'm still a bit nervous. I feel like every book and doctor advises against it, but every mom I know does it.

Thoughts?

Re: cosleeping

• DD and I have coslept, or bed shared rather, since day 1 almost 9 weeks ago. We decided we would cosleep with our baby long before we conceived her. I would not and could not imagine sleeping separately from her. We get great sleeps, I am always beside her to check on her, and BFing during the night is so peaceful and easy.

Typically we don't get out of bed for 10 to 12 hours from the time she goes to bed until her first real morning wake... I'll usually get up before her or go to bed later than her though.

I dream feed her for all nighttime feeds. She doesn't fully wake during or after them. So even though she will go for a 5 hr stretch and start rooting in her sleep, I'll feed her before she wakes, she'll go another few hrs until I see her start rooting again in her sleep, feed and another few hrs later she'll be up for the day. It at least feels like a continuous sleep until morning because I don't have to get out of bed to get her from a crib or bassinette, etc.

Maybe XP this on the attachment parenting board. Many of the posters cosleep with their LOs.

"Worldwide research shows that the SIDS rate is lowest and even unheard of in countries where cosleeping is the norm, rather than the exception 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Babies who sleep either in or next to their parents bed have a fourfold decrease in the chance of SIDS 10. Cosleeping babies actually spend more time sleeping on their back or side 11 which decreases the risk of SIDS. Further research shows that the carbon dioxide exhaled by a parent actually works to stimulate babys breathing."

Sources:
    SIDS Global Task Force Child Care Study E.A.S. Nelson et al., Early Human Development 62 2001: 4355
    A. H. Sankaran et al., Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Infant Care Practices in Saskatchewan, Canada, Program and Abstracts, Sixth SIDS International Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, February 811, 2000.
    D. P. Davies, Cot Death In Hong Kong: A Rare Problem? The Lancet 2 1985: 13461348.
    N. P. Lee et al., Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in Hong Kong: Confirmation of Low Incidence, British Medical Journal 298 1999: 72.
    S. Fukai and F. Hiroshi, 1999 Annual Report, Japan SIDS Family Association, Sixth SIDS International Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 2000.
    E. A. S. Nelson et al., International Child Care Practice Study: Infant Sleeping Environment, Early Human Development 62 2001: 4355.
    P. S. Blair, P. J. Fleming, D. Bensley, et al., Where Should Babies Sleep Along or With Parents? Factors Influencing the Risk Of SIDS in the CESDI Study, British Medical Journal 319 1999: 14571462.
    imageimage

• As long has you're careful, bed sharing is awesome. It makes those MOTN feedings feel shorter and more peaceful and everyone gets back to sleep nice and easy.
    imageimageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was way too nervous for the first 3 weeks or so. Now he sleeps in his bouncer next to my bed for about 4 hours then cuddled up with me till we officially wake up lol we sleep pretty good this way. I'm so not ready for him to start sleeping in his room.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • I absolutely love it. We don't cosleep during the night, but when she wakes up at 5am-ish, I'll take her to bed to nurse and nap until my alarm goes off at 7am. Its so cozy and comfortable and we both sleep so well. She usually eats enough at that feeding to last her until I come home for lunch! DH offers her a bottle, but she doesn't always want it.
    "I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 10/22/13 - 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

• I was completely against it but after SO other goes to work around 5am she usually ends up in bed with me and we sleep so well after she's right next to me. I wouldn't do it with SO in bed with us, the dog sleeps with us so it would be way too crowded.
  • Thanks for your replies! Again, it's amazing to me that so many people do it and it works so well. I think I will still be cautious, but not feel quite as worried.

• Co sleeping is actually encouraged, bed sharing is not. Insert mobile smiley. Co sleeping is defined as having the baby in the same room as you.

I also said I would never do it, but did for several weeks around six months with my DD. It is too scary for me to try with an infant.
  • We let LO co-sleep with us on the weekends only just so that we can "sleep in" until 8. I REALLY don't like doing it but I need those extra 3 hours two days a week.
    Infinite love to my Bump IRL Besties JessuhMarie & GermanGirl2007
    Started TTC #1 - 10/11 ~ BFP #1 - 8/15/12 ~ J born via c-section - 4/18/13

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • I personally am not comfortable with it; I'm too scared of SIDS. I think it's a personal decision that each mom or family needs to make. However, if you are planning on co sleeping, I think it's really important to do plenty of reading up on it so that you are well informed and can make your bed as safe as possible for LO. You might want to try posting on the Attachment Parenting board for more tips on how to co sleep safely and minimize the risk to your baby.
    Amanda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Nicb13Nicb13
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers Second Anniversary

image maymomNY:
    Thanks for your replies! Again, it's amazing to me that so many people do it and it works so well. I think I will still be cautious, but not feel quite as worried.

It's not for everyone. I don't do it simply because I know too many people who now can't get their kid OUT of their bed. It is a constant battle and I don't want that. I think at first, when they are super young it can be great but it's later down the road where I see problems developing. Just my opinion and it's not like I think it's terrible or anything, just not for our family.

DS born 3/10/12 - Baby GIRL - due 10/5/14!

BabyFruit Ticker

• We co-slept a little with DD before we found the wonders of the Rock n Play. We first started her in her Pack and Play downstairs for the first two weeks. Then moved her to her crib her in room while swaddling, but she had pretty bad reflux and I was terrified of her choking at night.  So we gave co-sleeping a try. Though we all did great co-sleeping (no blankets or pillows and had her in a travel crib between us) I still worried with that option as well.  We had a friend recommend a Rock n Play and never looked back. It allowed DD to sleep upright, but also still in the room with us and at an arms length away from me.

So my suggestions for co-sleeping would be to get a travel bed so there is a breathable barrier of safety.  If you're too nervous to continue co-sleeping then definitely see about getting a Rock n Play. That way baby is still right next to you, but not in bed with you.  Right now we have DS in the Rock n Play next to me from the first night we brought him home. You'll see no judgement from me in whatever you choose because we have tried just about everything!  Do what is safest and best for you and LO!

• I bedshare with DD and did with my other daughters too. We both sleep easy and it makes BFing so much easier. I love it. We follow the safety guidelines and I'm not worried at all.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13