June 2012 Moms

Talking?

After seeing the post about walking, I wondered how other LOs are doing with talking.

DD will say "dada" but doesn't know that it means DH. The only word she seems to really know is "uh oh". She says it after she drops something off the high chair. Now that she's at 13 months I'm starting to get a little concerned that she isn't saying more. I've seen some posts around here that make it sound like DD might be a bit behind.

DD1: 05.16.12  DD2: 02.13.14  TTC #3

Re: Talking?

• APriceAPrice
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its

I have been seriously stressing over DS's speech lately! Before I became a stay at home mom, I was a special education teacher so I am trying to constantly having to try and put the "teacher" in me on the back burner. Our DS doesn't say much either, he is really more of an observer and is quiet a lot of the time except when we are at home. He says "mama" and "dada" and other consonant sounds but that is really it. I'm also not entirely sure that when he says "mama" and "dada" he is using them with meaning and not just babbling. I totally understand that you feel she may be a bit behind, but don't stress about it! If you are really concerned, talk to your pedi about and see what they recommend to you...it might make you feel better!

I plan on talking to our pedi about DS's speech at his 1 year appointment just for peace of mind. But, I'm not going to stress about speech until 15 months. A lot of times you will see and explosion of speech between 15 and 18 months and for some kids it is even later. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I've read at this point and for a couple more months it's more about what they understand rather then actually say.

That said, K is saying Dada, Uh-oh, Bah (ball) and duh (duck).  He says mama but I don't think he uses it for me still, so I don't count it. :)  He also "moos" when I ask him what a cow says, I don't know if that counts as a word? Haha

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It's hard not to stress. The pedi and I were talking about this today. DD1 was speaking in full paragraphs by 15 months. She is very verbal; she crawled at 10 months and walked at 13.

So far DD2 seems more focused on motor skills. She was crawling by 8 months and walked at 11.5. She only says "mama" and "dada". However, she does nod her head yes and shake her head no. She can sign "all done" and "more". That's counted as her having 6 words, even though only 2 are verbalized.

The pedi isn't concerned. DD1 was advanced, but she does a lot of talking for DD2. DD2 has no problem letting her. As long as she's trying to communicate, the pedi says we're right on schedule for now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • My DS says "dada" and very rarely "mama". He recently started saying what sounds to us like "daddy" but I haven't heard it enough to be sure. He can also say "uh oh" in context like if he drops something.

Other than that he just makes a lot of noises.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS says mama and dada and I know he knows what they mean because when daddy walks through the door home from work DS runs to the door screaming "dada dada dada" lol. When he wants milk or wants to be picked up he says "up mama"

DH talks to him a lotttttt in spanish so I wouldn't be shocked if his next word is in spanish.

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimage
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    September Siggy Challenge: Teenage Crush
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BFP 9/22/2011 It's a boy! 1/03/2012 DS born 6/6/2012
    TTC #2 August 2014
  • I have been very anxious over DS's speech and communication skills. He mostly talks gibberish and babbles, but when he reaches for DH he'll say "dadadada" and he's looked at me and said "mama" in response to me asking "Where's your mama?" My mom swears he's trying to say dog - it's a different vowel sound than when he says "dada." She also thinks he's said "ba" for bath. I haven't heard it.

He doesn't wave or clap. He waved bye-bye a handful of times at 8 months and again at 11 months, but mostly he just looks at us like we're crazy when we try to get him to wave. He has started pointing regularly at things, and can follow my point if it's directed at a nearby item - but if I point at something across the room, he'll look at my hand.

His one year well child exam is tomorrow and I'll talk to his pedi, but it's very hard not to stress out about an autism spectrum disorder when I get regular emails on what he should be doing at this age...

• DS only says Dada baba with some other consonants. He started imitating me this past weekend with some syllables, but nothing else on purpose and still no mama.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD says uh-oh, woof, mama, dada, and Jackson (brother).  She nods yes/no, and signs more and all done.  Signs are a great way to communicate with your LO, and babies who learn signs tend to develop language more quickly.  Baby signs are very easy to learn and fun to teach to LO.

What's most important is if your child is starting to understand more of what you say, babbling with lots of different sounds, and trying to communicate her own needs/wants.  Those are all indications of developing language skills.  

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • My DS will be one on Friday and he currently says dad and daddy, doggie, hi, bye, and has started mimicking I love you. He says mama sometimes but not as intentional as the other words. He will wave when he says hi and bye
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Only this week, he has seriously nailed "Mom!" and says it constantly and even yells at me when he is mad. He knows thats my name

He also says "NoNo" when we say it to him. He says Dada and will look at him when I say that but Im still not sure if he means "Dad" when he says it

He can see doggie, Bop, baba... We were watching a pirate cartoon and they said "Yo ho!" and he copied that, but I dont know if he knows what he's saying. 

• image jess9802:

it's very hard not to stress out about an autism spectrum disorder when I get regular emails on what he should be doing at this age...

Your son sounds very similar to what we have going on here.  I am not worried though. DS makes lots of sounds and noises and seems to be playing with his voice a lot.  No words or signs though we've signed to him for months.  We did see "milk" a few times but not consistently.  He just learned to clap, he has waved & high fived in the past but not consistently and he also mostly just looks at us like we are nuts when to try to get him to wave or sign all done or more.  He gets very upset when he wants something but he doesn't know how to point.  When we figure out what it is and point he laughs and you call tell he's proud. So I do think he's communicating in his own way.  Seems like he might be behind with talking and gesturing consistently but I am not worried.  He's focused on other things and he's very engaged in his world and curious.  He's just not verbal.

In terms of autism worries, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.  Not talking at 12 months is very normal for many babies and although its important to try to intervene early, it really is too early to have this sort of worry based on lack of words.  It shouldn't raise a concern for a few more months.  Focus on other communication skills you see like that huge smile for the camera on your signature picture!  Do talk to you pedi at your appointment but I hope they can calm your fears.

• I wasn't worried about it until we went to her well baby check on Monday. Aria will say "mama", "dada", "no no" and "doi" which we think means Dory from Finding Nemo. Random, I know! I worry that she's not saying more, but she babbles constantly. My husband and I are just going to start being more deliberate about saying everything we are doing, what she is eating, etc. and I think that should help.
  • image henrytviii:
    Your son sounds very similar to what we have going on here.  I am not worried though. DS makes lots of sounds and noises and seems to be playing with his voice a lot.  No words or signs though we've signed to him for months.  We did see "milk" a few times but not consistently.  He just learned to clap, he has waved & high fived in the past but not consistently and he also mostly just looks at us like we are nuts when to try to get him to wave or sign all done or more.  He gets very upset when he wants something but he doesn't know how to point.  When we figure out what it is and point he laughs and you call tell he's proud. So I do think he's communicating in his own way.  Seems like he might be behind with talking and gesturing consistently but I am not worried.  He's focused on other things and he's very engaged in his world and curious.  He's just not verbal.

In terms of autism worries, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.  Not talking at 12 months is very normal for many babies and although its important to try to intervene early, it really is too early to have this sort of worry based on lack of words.  It shouldn't raise a concern for a few more months.  Focus on other communication skills you see like that huge smile for the camera on your signature picture!  Do talk to you pedi at your appointment but I hope they can calm your fears.

Thanks so much! His ped was very understanding about my concerns (there were a couple of other things besides language development), but very reassuring. She thinks DS is great, right on track, engaged with me and with others, and so forth. It was a great relief to hear. 

• image jess9802:

Thanks so much! His ped was very understanding about my concerns (there were a couple of other things besides language development), but very reassuring. She thinks DS is great, right on track, engaged with me and with others, and so forth. It was a great relief to hear. 

I forgot until I read your reply but at my 9 month my pedi went through a check-list. "Does he wave good-bye? Clap? Say mama or dada?" Point to toys?" etc.  I said no, no, no, no, no and was just about to burst into tears when my pedi says "Sounds like a normal 9 month old to me!" I really like seeing him because he takes the time interact and play with my son rather than focusing on the check-lists that may or may not line up with an individual child.  Seems like you have a good relationship with your son's doctor as well.

• My little guy has no words yet. He babbles a lot but no intentional words. I'm not worried. My oldest son had a sever speech delay, so I know what it's like and how it can be difficult to stay level headed about. But at 12 months old there is still SO MUCH TIME for them to start talking before they're really "behind". Don't stress and keep doing what you're doing, mamas!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD has accomplished dada and grandpa. She repeats grandpa the best she can but doesn't have an understanding of who grandpa is. She does "bark" when she sees or hears a dog. Lately she has been trying to say her name. I am so excited because I didn't think she would be saying so many words already but at the same time my baby is growing up :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards