3rd Trimester
Options

Anyone suffering from PUPPP? Help!

Hi ladies,

Is anyone else suffering from PUPPP (wild rash on belly, legs, etc., extremely itchy)?  I don't know how I'm going to make it though to the end of this pregnancy.  I'm currently at 31 weeks.  Does anyone have any remedies that worked for them?  Please share.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Anyone suffering from PUPPP? Help!

• Options
    I suffered from full body itching in my first and second trimester. Only a little now that I'm 32 weeks. It wasn't pupps but my ob sent me to a dermatologist, and neither one could figure out what was wrong with me. The itching was mostly on my legs, and I'd break out in rashes and itched like crazy! I'd wake up in the middle of the night expecting blood on my sheets bc I was scratching so hard!! I had oatmeal baths every night, followed by shower oil and cocoa butter on my legs to keep the skin hydrated. Then on the itchiest of nights I'd take a benedryl just so I could sleep. My ob told me benedryl is safe for baby. I don't know if this will help with your pupps but it def helped my itching. Good luck!
  • Options

I have it. Your OB should be able to give you an RX for a compound cream to put on it. It will help take the edge off.

I had to wait a couple days for the pharmacy at the hospital to make it (Not every pharmacy will be able to blend it) and its a godsend

otherwise, look into eating more leafy greens and foods that help clean your liver out as it helps your body process the "toxins" that are causing the rash

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had since I was 8 weeks. There really is nothing to make it go away. I make sure my skin is always hydrated and that helps some. I apply a body oil after every shower, and then before bed I put on lotion. Try and make sure you're wearing natural fibers (they irritate skin less) and airing out your skin when possible. I've tried a lot of different tricks and tips and nothing really works. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagerachel23750:
    I suffered from full body itching in my first and second trimester. Only a little now that I'm 32 weeks. It wasn't pupps but my ob sent me to a dermatologist, and neither one could figure out what was wrong with me. The itching was mostly on my legs, and I'd break out in rashes and itched like crazy! I'd wake up in the middle of the night expecting blood on my sheets bc I was scratching so hard!! I had oatmeal baths every night, followed by shower oil and cocoa butter on my legs to keep the skin hydrated. Then on the itchiest of nights I'd take a benedryl just so I could sleep. My ob told me benedryl is safe for baby. I don't know if this will help with your pupps but it def helped my itching. Good luck!

I don't have it, but I had some really intense itching and it seemed like anything I put on it made it worse. When it got really bad at night I would put something on it (usually coconout oil or vitamin e oil), take a benedryl and then gently rub ice packs over the really itchy area until the benedryl kicked in.

And UGH- the leg itching is the worst! I've made myself bleed several times by scratching them. And I lotion or use oil 3+ times a day.  

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Options
    ReyJ10ReyJ10 member
    I had it with my first and it was beyond awful.  You can try Grandpa's Pine Tar soap.  It smells terrible but it will help over time.  It's usually available at GNC.  I've heard dandelion root pills work as well but I didn't try that last time.  I agree with the pp though - nothing cured it.  I'm praying I don't get it this time.  Also, my dermatologist said to come see her if i get it again with this pregnancy.  Good luck!! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I went in to my practitioner a few weeks ago and I was telling him how horribly itchy my stretch marks were (like to the point where I would use a hairbrush to scratch them b/c it felt amazing) lol and he told me to try Benadryl cream/spray basically anti-itch ointment nothing worked. 2 days later the red and itchiness traveled to my thighs and then slowly to the rest of my body. My Dr's appointment was Thursday when I told him how itchy I was, by Sunday I was crying b/c I was so miserable b/c the red areas felt like a horrible sunburn and they itched. Nothing helped at all. I was miserable. SO I got in early Monday morning and ding ding got diagnosed w/PUPPPS! Basically there's not much that can be done for it unless your dr gives you a steroid, but I did my own internet research after wards b/c I couldn't imagine going the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy w/this horrible rash and itch. Go to your nearest health store (GNC, Vitamin World etc) and pick up a couple bars of "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap".

I thought that it was crazy, but it was the only thing I could find that other people swore by. I went home and showered w/it and used a wash cloth to scrub it in. The 1st few days you'll want to use it 2-3 times a day, then move to just 1-2 times after that. THe change will be gradual at 1st, but by the 4-5th day you will want to drop on your knees and praise the maker of that soap! lol IT WORKS, BUT you have to stick with it. I still shower w/it once a day or every other day. It got rid of the rash completely, but if I get really hot I still get itchy, but definitely not to the extreme that it was. When I went back for my check out the dr said he couldn't believe how well that soap worked! he wrote it down and said he was going to pass that on to anyone else he comes across that has puppps.

The key is to stick w/it though! AND I really don't think it would work if you only showered w/it once a day. It's the 2-3 times daily during that 1st week that knocked it out. Good luck with everything! This was my saving grace, please give it a try! :)

• Options

I have/had it. Mine aren't itchy, but I have the acne-like rash on my belly. One of the posters on my BMB recommended African Black Soap. I buy the bar from Shea Moisture at Target. It's around $5. 

I've been using that for a while--and the rash is barely noticeable now. It may also be why it doesn't itch.

• Options
    krb03krb03 member

I didn't have PUPPPS, but I did have a different autoimmune disease that caused a rash/extreme itchiness my last pregnancy. Before anyone could tell me what it was, the only relief I found was mixing baking soda with water mixture. It is gooey and flakes off when it dries, but it helped!

Sorry you're going through this, hope the itchiness stops soon!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"