July 2012 Moms

Mad or overreacting? Long.

We planned to go to Wisconsin Dells on vacation this year. Just for two nights, in the beginning if the week. We just didn't know when, because we had to wait for his vacation days to be approved.

Today they were approved so I started looking for a place to stay. We're going in three weeks, and most hotels increase their prices for July, because that's the height of tourist season.

I found a great place off the main drag that has a private beach, pontoon rentals, splash pad and indoor and outdoor pools, bonfires, and activities for the kids. It's 159 a night for a two queen bed room. I show the video of the place to DH. He likes it too, then asks how much.

When I tell him, he starts whining about his much it is and how his friend took his family a few weeks ago and they didn't pay as much, and blah blah blah.

First, if he went a few weeks ago, it was probably in May, which is off season. Secondly, there's not a whole lot available because its three weeks away. Third, July is a busy expensive month anywhere we go.

I told him that he could find a place for us to go then and he got pissed and said that the one time he did that, I didn't like where he chose and that it's my job to find a place. Then he says to spend 50 a night. I told him he could camp in the parking lot of wherever I pick, but I was going to spend what I felt like spending.

So, am I the douche or is he? Both of us? And yeah, I used my pissy voice when I yd him to find a place. He's out playing video games now, not talking to me.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Mad or overreacting? Long.

• KarmBKarmB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    with you guys trying to save on money, I'm kind of on his side. We're not taking a vacation this year to save money. just a staycation.

• He sounds cray. Where could you possibly stay for 50 a night? In NYC, even the fleabag hooker motels where you'll get killed are at least 90.
  • image KarmB:
    with you guys trying to save on money, I'm kind of on his side. We're not taking a vacation this year to save money. just a staycation.

Karm brings up a good point. Is a staycation possible? I'm sure you can find lots of fun things to do as a family and put the hotel money toward other stuff. Like go to zoo and buy the kids a stuffed animal and one of those more expensive zoo pics. KWIM? Sorry, that is kind of lame but its all I can think of off the top of my head not knowing your area. 

Anyway, I know what you mean about high tourist travel time and it costing more. It sucks. 

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • hijoihijoi
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    image KarmB:

His idea to go. And then he gave me a list of three other places he'd like to stop on the way home. But yes, we probably should just stay home. And we'll probably end up doing that.

And I do think I overreacted.

And the only place you get 50 dollar hotel rooms are places that have hourly rates, as mentioned above the hooker place!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • KarmBKarmB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Camping is free or at least cheap. campgrounds we have gone to are $10 a day. I'd rather have fun around here not going into more debt than going somewhere that would make me not pay bills for a month. Unless Youve received an inheritance we dont know about ;) Youre already having a big birthday party that you saved up for. There are tons of free or cheap things to do. Save up for a cool vacation next summer since there wont be a 1st birthday celebration.

• I would be mad, but I'm one of those that believe that splurging on vacations is what keeps you sane the rest of the year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. You're only going for two nights and it seems like you've done your research. It's easy to say that you'd like to spend $50 but that's not realistic. I would love to go to Italy and only spend $20 a day but that's not gonna happen. He can feel free to sleep in the car for free. : )  

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • $50 a night?!?! You'll end up with all sorts of fleabag motel diseases for sure.

He's the nut for thinking that's even an option... Especially with 2 kids! 

• I have to agree that if your husband thinks you can find a place to stay for fifty a night, he is living in another time.  I am not sure I know of any hotels around here that go for that rate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No way will you find a place for $50!  I've done lots of road trips in my time and they aren't usually lower that $80.  I do agree that you should try to make a stay cation! (especially if DH is set on that price) Make some cool forts and do a camp fire (assuming you have a back yard).
                                   Married my best friend August 12, 2011
                                             DD #1 born July 9th, 2012
                                           EDD with #2 April 16th, 2014
  • My take on it is kind of a combination of both sides.  On the one hand, $50 a night will probably get you a disease from some nasty motel.  That is a completely unrealistic and unreasonable budget (unless you chose camping, which doesn't seem to be an option anyways).

As far as not going to save money, I don't think thats the point here.  Clearly the two of you looked at your budget (I hope anyways) and decided you had room for a vacation (saved up DC money maybe).  Because you mutually came to the agreement that you could, in fact, afford a vacation, its now up to both of you to make the most of the money you are able to spend.  Do you have a set vacation budget?  $159/nt is a very decent rate, especially at what seems like a fun hotel.  But, did you factor in how much the rest will cost? Gas, food, the activities, etc.  If that is what is causing him to get stressed over it then you may just have to look into something else.  Also, try a site like kayak that compares prices through different booking sites (usually the best price will NOT come from booking through the site of the hote/resort..but, if you call to make a reservation sometimes you can get a good deal).  Do you have AAA or AARP or anything you can use to help further reduce the price of a vacation?  Or like pp's suggested, use that money for a staycation and go do activities/day trips you normally wouldn't do.

woops, sorry for the novel.  At any rate, I don't think you overreaacted, but I also don't think he did, either (although his budget is unreasonable). 

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JennMMJennMM
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    Hotels in the summer are expensive. That's just a fact. My DH complains every time but in the end he sucks it up and gets over it. You aren't going to find anywhere worth staying for $50.

photo 10645313_10203179001329947_7213078662118091454_n_zps8ad43141.jpg

• image cwm11985:

My take on it is kind of a combination of both sides.  On the one hand, $50 a night will probably get you a disease from some nasty motel.  That is a completely unrealistic and unreasonable budget (unless you chose camping, which doesn't seem to be an option anyways).

As far as not going to save money, I don't think thats the point here.  Clearly the two of you looked at your budget (I hope anyways) and decided you had room for a vacation (saved up DC money maybe).  Because you mutually came to the agreement that you could, in fact, afford a vacation, its now up to both of you to make the most of the money you are able to spend.  Do you have a set vacation budget?  $159/nt is a very decent rate, especially at what seems like a fun hotel.  But, did you factor in how much the rest will cost? Gas, food, the activities, etc.  If that is what is causing him to get stressed over it then you may just have to look into something else.  Also, try a site like kayak that compares prices through different booking sites (usually the best price will NOT come from booking through the site of the hote/resort..but, if you call to make a reservation sometimes you can get a good deal).  Do you have AAA or AARP or anything you can use to help further reduce the price of a vacation?  Or like pp's suggested, use that money for a staycation and go do activities/day trips you normally wouldn't do.

woops, sorry for the novel.  At any rate, I don't think you overreaacted, but I also don't think he did, either (although his budget is unreasonable). 

I agree with all of this.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'd probably be frustrated if DH said something like that after I'd spent so much time trying to find the perfect place.  I do understand his sticker shock.  Did you explain to him why there's such a price increase at this time of year?

If you think he's going to cancel your vacation over the price, and you want to go somewhere more economical, you could try looking at the national parks.  I know tent camping is probably out of the question, but a lot of the parks actually have cabins you can rent at a good price.  Then you'd have swimming and such nearby.

I'm sorry you found such a perfect place and your husband freaked out.  It really did sound like an awesome hotel!  But I am sure you'll end up having a wonderful time, wherever you go.  Big Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think 50 is crazy. Have you looked into Priceline? We recently got a hotel in downtown Disney for 450 for 6 nights. It was a Holiday Inn and it was really nice. Maybe you can find a cheaper rate there?

• I agree with CWM above.

I also agree with trying priceline, or maybe even a Groupon deal. I don't know what hotels go for in that area but $159 seems reasonable to me from what you've described. Plus it's only two nights!  Hopefully you can find a compromise,  a vacation sounds so nice right now.

11/11: 75iu Bravelle + trigger + IUI = BFP!! Beta#1:615 (14dpiui) Beta#2:1280(16dpiui)12/5/11: Twins! image
  • zyaszyas
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    I'm on your side on this. We went to the dells for a couple nights a few weeks ago and you're going to have a really hard time finding a place for 50 a night. We stayed at the Wilderness Resort and it was 140 a night during the week. It included passes to all 8 of their on property waterparks. It was an amazing place, they had so much to do so it was well worth the money. The room was really nice too.

I know how hard it is to find a good place, just like you I spent a lot of time looking before I booked it.

I hope your hubby comes around, you guys will have a lot of fun. It was great to get away for a couple days!
  • image Barefoot84:
    I would be mad, but I'm one of those that believe that splurging on vacations is what keeps you sane the rest of the year.

This is me too. Vacation is the one thing I like to splurge...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards