Breastfeeding

Huge supply drop, period returned

About a week ago I started nursing my baby after EPing she was doing really well up until yesterday so I've been pumping and I'm not getting anywhere near what I was getting before. I know what she's taking from me because I'm doing weighted feeds. This morning my period came back. I've been chugging water but I'm kind of freaking out.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Huge supply drop, period returned

• AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

how much is she getting from you when she nurses? is that amount dropping considerably? are you sure her latch is ok?

to balance the supply drop that occurs with your period, take a magnesium and calcium combined supplement.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• image AmyG*:

how much is she getting from you when she nurses? is that amount dropping considerably? are you sure her latch is ok?

to balance the supply drop that occurs with your period, take a magnesium and calcium combined supplement.

She was doing well up until yesterday then she stopped transferring well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

you said you were doing weighted feedings, so I'm wondering how much she is getting?

it may be that her latch was ok, and your supply was high from pumping so she was getting enough,

but her latch is not really strong, and without pumping your supply is dropping, and she's struggling to get enough.

a check with an IBCLC lactation consultant to evaluate her latch would be an ideal starting place.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• My supply dropped when my period returned at 3 months, but it bounced back up towards the end of my period. Keep focusing on what you are doing and putting your baby to the breast more often. Hopefully your supply will come back up in a few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards