Crafty Moms

Nursery Design Help!

Hello! I could use some advice here.  I am super OCD, and now that we are expecting #2 I NEED to figure out what the nursery theme is going to be, haha.

I am currently set on doing a Hot Air Balloon theme no matter if it is a boy or a girl. We will find out, so I will be able to tailor it more either way.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I am thinking. Any thoughts? My only concern is that it is too "boyish". I would obviously add more pinks if I have a girl.... am I over-thinking this??

I would be making most of the pieces myself. 

I want to do the striped walls like this:

I definitely want these hot air balloons:

Does this rug scream boy??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Nursery Design Help!

• Personally, I think if you used a lot of those elements it would be overkill, I feel like the rest of the room would have to be very neutral.

I do really like the picture at the bottom and I think those colors, the muted pinks and coral with the turquoise, looks really nice. And if you did fewer balloon elements you could use those colors throughout the room to tie it together. Those colors are great and I don't think any of the items you showed are too boyish.

This is just my opinion though, I don't necessarily care for themed nurseries but I will have a good amount of colors and design elements in our nursery. I just think doing a lot or 'too much' of one theme or one specific item like the balloons can be overwhelming.
  • I love a themed nursery, but I agree with pp...less is more.  Pick just a couple balloon elements.  Here is a girl nursery with HA balloon accents.  Sorry not clicky-on my ipad.

http://tinyurl.com/nre35vp

• I love the hot air balloon idea but I agree with previous posters to dial it down. If you do go with the striped wall treatment I would go for light neutrals. That will allow your themed elements to really shine. 

I don't think the rug is too "boy," it would be adorable for any baby!  Just because it is blue doesn't mean you can't use it for a girl. I really liked the striped walls, the hanging hot air balloons, the framed birth announcement and the rug.  I think if you included any more it might be overkill.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love the carpet and the embrodiery hoops with hot air balloons (would make a quilt or blanket to try to bring in the colors wish to emphasize ... painting the stripes would be DIFFICULT. Could see a cloud or two painted on the wall OR cieling (or you might be able to find the repositionable wall art) and a mobile of hot air balloons. Maybe some wicker baskets and rocker for storage so it bring in the theme in a more subtle way.

Agree with what PPs said about the birth announcement ... can make it the theme for the baby book as well and introduce the art work you like and incorporate it for the cover and pages.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you for all the input!

I won't be using all of the pieces, those are just ones that I have liked and am considering for inspiration.

I love all the suggestions- and will definitely incorporate the birth announcements and everything with the theme. I did the same with DD's room and loved how it was all together.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • jelinjelin
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

That's an awesome theme! I'm loving it!

Here are a couple links to help you out:

A DIY hot air balloon http://www.howjoyful.com/2012/07/nursery-felt-hot-air-ballon-mobile-tutorial-and-pattern/

This website has a tone of color pallets to the pictures you posted: www.projectbambino.com 

• image LittleFish1:
    Love the carpet and the embrodiery hoops with hot air balloons (would make a quilt or blanket to try to bring in the colors wish to emphasize ... painting the stripes would be DIFFICULT. Could see a cloud or two painted on the wall OR cieling (or you might be able to find the repositionable wall art) and a mobile of hot air balloons. Maybe some wicker baskets and rocker for storage so it bring in the theme in a more subtle way. Agree with what PPs said about the birth announcement ... can make it the theme for the baby book as well and introduce the art work you like and incorporate it for the cover and pages.
      lurking here - i just wanted to say that Im crafting challenged, and i painted horizontal stripes just like that and it was easy peasy.  frog tape is your friend.  I'll go back to where I came from now....
  • image Justinlove:

I love a themed nursery, but I agree with pp...less is more.  Pick just a couple balloon elements.  Here is a girl nursery with HA balloon accents.  Sorry not clicky-on my ipad.

http://tinyurl.com/nre35vp

LOVE that nursery! So girly but also super vintage chic - I think I just found my possible girly nursery if our LO is a lady! 

December Siggy Challenge: Love Actually

Married DH: April 21 2012 // Expecting our first: Jan 20 2014
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker